France recalls Turkey envoy after Erdogan says Macron needs 'mental check'

This is a basic problem in human affairs. One group holds one thing sacred and another group holds something sacred that runs afoul of the other.
In this particular situation, a basic psychological reality undermines the argumentation of those who would impose graphic censorship. First, how can we identify an image of a person? If I say a drawing is of Caesar, you either have to take my word for it or see that it corresponds to an image you already have formed in your mind. If it is an image of a man in a turban, you have to agree with me that it is whom I say or you have to already have made an image that you decide conforms to what is being presented. Why would anyone simply take the word of another who was considered an enemy?
But, problems are not dealt with rationally. Propaganda is deeply imbedded in every major discussion. For example, in the news story cited above, they state that Allah means 'God'. Well, perhaps we can truthfully say that is true for Arabic speakers. It is not true for others. In English, 'God' is 'God'. In French, 'God' is Dieu. In English, French and other languages, Allah is a noun, a name, like George or Betty, so Allah means Allah. Someone shouting 'Allah is greater' is saying one noun is superior to others. Agreeing with them that Allah means 'God' is agreeing with a propagandistic claim.
The French hold freedom or expression as sacred and will continue to. It may not be identical with American definitions and limits, but they are ultimately the same. We have every reason to be on their side when this comes to a showdown.

This is a basic problem in human affairs. One group holds one thing sacred and another group holds something sacred that runs afoul of the other.
In this particular situation, a basic psychological reality undermines the argumentation of those who would impose graphic censorship. First, how can we identify an image of a person? If I say a drawing is of Caesar, you either have to take my word for it or see that it corresponds to an image you already have formed in your mind. If it is an image of a man in a turban, you have to agree with me that it is whom I say or you have to already have made an image that you decide conforms to what is being presented. Why would anyone simply take the word of another who was considered an enemy?
But, problems are not dealt with rationally. Propaganda is deeply imbedded in every major discussion. For example, in the news story cited above, they state that Allah means 'God'. Well, perhaps we can truthfully say that is true for Arabic speakers. It is not true for others. In English, 'God' is 'God'. In French, 'God' is Dieu. In English, French and other languages, Allah is a noun, a name, like George or Betty, so Allah means Allah. Someone shouting 'Allah is greater' is saying one noun is superior to others. Agreeing with them that Allah means 'God' is agreeing with a propagandistic claim.
The French hold freedom or expression as sacred and will continue to. It may not be identical with American definitions and limits, but they are ultimately the same. We have every reason to be on their side when this comes to a showdown.

Macron doesn't need a mental check. Turkey has to understand their religion is not acceptable in every other country of the world, Just as our religious customs are not expected to be accepted in Turkey. He must understand that "Allah" is the same as "Henry" or "James." We would find it resentful if we had to pray to Henry, So we will only accept God in our US churches. Easy Peasy

Forum List

Back