Fracking, some very good news

Good stuff, thanks for posting. Eventually we're going to have to get off oil, but until the cleaner energy sources become economically viable without subsidies, we need to increase our oil and natural gas production.

Good stuff, thanks for posting. Eventually we're going to have to get off oil, but until the cleaner energy sources become economically viable without subsidies, we need to increase our oil and natural gas production.

eventually we will have to get off oil. but they were talking about billions of barrels just in that small region, so I think it's going to be a while before that occurs.

Hopefully they come out with rides that are run on natural gas.

A cancer epidemic is a small price to pay for an economic boon. :thup:

How the hell does natural gas cause cancer?

If you are talking about the fracking fluids, yes they have to make sure they collect them properly when they reach back to the surface. they also have to make sure the well pipe liner is structurally sound.

Hydro fracking can be done safely if rules are followed. THATS the job of regulators, using regulations that are both conservative when it comes to safety, and reasonable when it comes to scope.

Uh, let's see. Before the gas company drilled, no fire came out of the kitchen faucet. After they drilled, by coincidence, fire pours out of the kitchen faucet, but they are totally unrelated. The same thing happens again and again, everywhere they "fracture", but it's totally coincidence. Yea, I believe that. Uh huh.

If you are talking about the fracking fluids, yes they have to make sure they collect them properly when they reach back to the surface. they also have to make sure the well pipe liner is structurally sound.

Hydro fracking can be done safely if rules are followed. THATS the job of regulators, using regulations that are both conservative when it comes to safety, and reasonable when it comes to scope.

It's the more than 50 chemical used in the process.

trimethylbenzene

Chemicals used in 'fracking' often a mystery at spill cleanup time - News - The Times-Tribune

The report comes two and a half months after an initial report by the same three lawmakers that found that 32.2 millions of gallons of fluids containing diesel, considered an especially hazardous pollutant because it contains benzene, were injected into the ground during hydrofracking by a dozen companies from 2005 to 2009, in possible violation of the drinking water act.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/science/earth/17gas.html?_r=2&src=twrhp

The Bush administration exempted drilling for natural gas from any oversight. So who knows what damage it causes? Bush, the gift that just keeps on giving.

Uh, let's see. Before the gas company drilled, no fire came out of the kitchen faucet. After they drilled, by coincidence, fire pours out of the kitchen faucet, but they are totally unrelated. The same thing happens again and again, everywhere they "fracture", but it's totally coincidence. Yea, I believe that. Uh huh.

Links are there to be read. They did find some cases of drilled gas mixing with biological origin gas, and the compaines paid. in two of the cases in gasland it was found to be biologic in origin, i.e. not from drilling.

Natural gas is normally drilled at depths far below water aquifers. the contamination that can happen results often from poor well gas pipe installation, and as this study shows can be identified vs. shallow biologic origin gas.

Also please refer me to the study that says this happens "everywhere" they hyro-fracture.

It's the more than 50 chemical used in the process.

trimethylbenzene

Chemicals used in 'fracking' often a mystery at spill cleanup time - News - The Times-Tribune

The report comes two and a half months after an initial report by the same three lawmakers that found that 32.2 millions of gallons of fluids containing diesel, considered an especially hazardous pollutant because it contains benzene, were injected into the ground during hydrofracking by a dozen companies from 2005 to 2009, in possible violation of the drinking water act.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/science/earth/17gas.html?_r=2&src=twrhp

The Bush administration exempted drilling for natural gas from any oversight. So who knows what damage it causes? Bush, the gift that just keeps on giving.

again, read the report. the spill was due to a fuckup in the surface piping, not due to the procedure itself. Also I do agree they have to put the chemicals on the MSDS, even at the rediculously low levels found in the fluid.

As an engineer myself, I dont have a problem with regulators, hell they make my job exist. my issue is with regulators who instead of making rules to help make the process safe, make rules to make the process impossible. That, coupled with the sad fact that lawyers have more of a say in how regulations are made than engineers leads to regulations that are more "cover my ass when something fucks up" or "find out who to sue" than actually trying to prevent fuckups in the first place.

why is it a good thing to do that without examining what the potential for environmental damage is.

Drilling does minor harm. The same amount of harm any building would do it you cover the land with concrete.

The fracking is done well below the water line. there is no hazard.

Unless you are prepared to start gather wood in the winter...

Forum List

Back