Fourth of July: What does it mean to an American Muslim

What have muslem dominated religious states accomplished in the last 2,000 years? It took America 235 years to become the only super-power on earth while Muslems are still living in the dirt and starving while they plan a jihad against the "great satan". Muslems took over the resort city of Lebanon and turned it into a rubble strewn slum unfit for human habitation. Anyone ever research the muslem Sharia tradition of stoning someone to death (mostly women) for relatively minor "offences"? Don't if you want to sleep at night.

One Muslim’s reflection on the 4th of July

What does July 4th mean to Muslims in America?

It means everything and the biggest one is the freedom. Islam is indeed about freedom of conscience, justice and liberty. Sadly there are those Muslims, as well as people from other religions, who don’t live up to the ideals of their own faith.

The Pledge of Allegiance is one of the most cherished statements for Muslims, “One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.” There are several verses in Quraan that assert those values; it’s like coming home for Muslims.

The concept of equality is etched and nurtured in Muslim psyche in every ritual and spiritual practice of Islam. Prophet Muhammad delivered the following words in his last sermon, “All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over black nor does a black have any superiority over white except by piety and good action.” Muslims hold this declaration close to their hearts and as American Muslims, “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”

The raging inner battle among Americans to keep the state and church apart resonates with Muslims living in America as Koran speaks out to them:

49:13- “O mankind! We have created you male and female, and have made you nations and tribes that ye may know one another. The noblest of you, in sight of God, is the best in conduct. God Knows and is Aware.”

Indeed, knowledge leads to understanding and understanding to acceptance of the otherness of other and an appreciation of a different point of view without having to agree with it.

The American way of rewarding merit appeals to Muslims: you can be who you want to be and many Muslims gloat about their ability to rise on the basis of their merit. The Koran emphasizes that no one but you are responsible for your behavior, you have the freedom to choose the right path or go astray but you alone are responsible for your actions and no one else will bear your burden.

The Prophet tells his own daughter that she will not get a free pass to paradise because she is a daughter of the prophet; she has to earn it on her own through good deeds to fellow beings; such is the Muslim emphasis placed on individual responsibility. These are the free market, democratic values celebrated by Americans.

Every immigrant in general and a Muslim in particular loves the idea that you are innocent until proven guilty. They were tired of being framed in the lands they came from; they see the wholesomeness of justice in America and they love America for it. An observant Muslim recites at least 17 times a day that God alone is the judge and we must refrain from judging others.

Indeed, the essence of freedom is directly proportional to the ability to question oneself, question one’s own faith, explore myths and prejudices about others and find answers to set oneself free.

Imam Feisal, Dr. Akbar Ahmed and others have written books on Muslim experience in America and virtually every Muslim adores and loves America and its freedom. Please note an overwhelming majority of American Muslims live up to the ideals of their religion as all other Americans live up to the ideals of their religions.

Happy July 4th of July.

One Muslim’s reflection on the 4th of July - Guest Voices - The Washington Post

Last edited:
One Muslim’s reflection on the 4th of July

What does July 4th mean to Muslims in America?

It means everything and the biggest one is the freedom. Islam is indeed about freedom of conscience, justice and liberty. Sadly there are those Muslims, as well as people from other religions, who don’t live up to the ideals of their own faith.

The Pledge of Allegiance is one of the most cherished statements for Muslims, “One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.” There are several verses in Quraan that assert those values; it’s like coming home for Muslims.

The concept of equality is etched and nurtured in Muslim psyche in every ritual and spiritual practice of Islam. Prophet Muhammad delivered the following words in his last sermon, “All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over black nor does a black have any superiority over white except by piety and good action.” Muslims hold this declaration close to their hearts and as American Muslims, “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”

The raging inner battle among Americans to keep the state and church apart resonates with Muslims living in America as Koran speaks out to them:

49:13- “O mankind! We have created you male and female, and have made you nations and tribes that ye may know one another. The noblest of you, in sight of God, is the best in conduct. God Knows and is Aware.”

Indeed, knowledge leads to understanding and understanding to acceptance of the otherness of other and an appreciation of a different point of view without having to agree with it.

The American way of rewarding merit appeals to Muslims: you can be who you want to be and many Muslims gloat about their ability to rise on the basis of their merit. The Koran emphasizes that no one but you are responsible for your behavior, you have the freedom to choose the right path or go astray but you alone are responsible for your actions and no one else will bear your burden.

The Prophet tells his own daughter that she will not get a free pass to paradise because she is a daughter of the prophet; she has to earn it on her own through good deeds to fellow beings; such is the Muslim emphasis placed on individual responsibility. These are the free market, democratic values celebrated by Americans.

Every immigrant in general and a Muslim in particular loves the idea that you are innocent until proven guilty. They were tired of being framed in the lands they came from; they see the wholesomeness of justice in America and they love America for it. An observant Muslim recites at least 17 times a day that God alone is the judge and we must refrain from judging others.

Indeed, the essence of freedom is directly proportional to the ability to question oneself, question one’s own faith, explore myths and prejudices about others and find answers to set oneself free.

Imam Feisal, Dr. Akbar Ahmed and others have written books on Muslim experience in America and virtually every Muslim adores and loves America and its freedom. Please note an overwhelming majority of American Muslims live up to the ideals of their religion as all other Americans live up to the ideals of their religions.

Happy July 4th of July.

One Muslim’s reflection on the 4th of July - Guest Voices - The Washington Post

Well....I think you've got a lot of work to do Sunni boy.:eusa_whistle:

My solution to the Jewish problem.

Would be to round them up world wide and find and island to quarantine them on.

There are several islands in the world that could easily contain the 13 million Jews that currently reside in various nations and Israel.

This way the Jews could build the ultimate Hebrew society they have always dreamed of.

Several gun boats would patrol the waters around the island to prevent any Jews from trying to escape.

This way the Jews could be protected from harm; and the world could finally have peace and security.

Thus a Win = Win for both Jews and Gentiles :thup:

Atlanta Muslims celebrate Fourth of July

Posted: Jul 04, 2011 11:05 AM

Atlanta's Muslim community organized a Fourth of July event which will be open to the public at Bethak Banquet Hall in Dulth from 10 a.m. to 12.30 p.m.

This is a historic event for Atlanta's Muslim community, in which all sections of the community came together to send a message of peace and harmony.

Community Organizer Shamina Vora spoke on the need to strengthen ties between Muslim Americans and their fellow Americans in Atlanta.

"Many observers in the Muslim community feel that the empathy and unity that Americans had for each other following 9/11 has given way to rising Islamophobia, which some worry is increasingly becoming mainstream in America," said Vora in a news release.

Atlanta Muslims celebrate Fourth of July - CBS Atlanta News, Weather, Sports, Traffic - WGCL 46

#1) There is nothing in the Quran about killing Muslims just for the sake of killing them.

#2) What they do in other nations concerning women is none of my business; Their country and their laws.

#3) I do not know of any Mosque that provides funding for Hamas. As it is against federal law.

btw Happy 4th of July

Tell you what, I ate enough for three people and won a dozen arrows in an archery tournament . All and all, it was a great 4th of July. How was yours ?

We have one in Congress. What does he say?

#1) There is nothing in the Quran about killing Muslims just for the sake of killing them.

#2) What they do in other nations concerning women is none of my business; Their country and their laws.

#3) I do not know of any Mosque that provides funding for Hamas. As it is against federal law.

btw Happy 4th of July

Tell you what, I ate enough for three people and won a dozen arrows in an archery tournament . All and all, it was a great 4th of July. How was yours ?

Still going on; the fireworks are about to start.

btw I was into archery several years back.

Had a Matthews compound. :eusa_angel:

I am privileged to personally know the only Muslim member of D.A.R. ( Daughters of the American Revolution)

She is the secretary at the Mosque and can trace her ancestry back to the Mayflower.

How do you know that she is the only muslim DAR? When I got into the DAR, I do not recall any questions about religion being asked.

Minnesota Rep. Keith Ellison spoke to CBS News’ “Face The Nation” on Sunday.

Ellison, one of two Muslim congressmen, addressed terrorism and the perception of Muslims in the United States.

He outlined what he believes are positive approaches to combating extremism — among them not targeting the Muslim community.

“United States is not at war with Islam,” Ellison says. “The United States is a fair country.

We know that there are occasions where people are not treated fairly, but those things are not lawful so we’ve got to stand on our tradition of civil liberties.”

He addressed the wave of anti-Muslim sentiment by stressing the need for Americans to come to understand each other. Ellison also expressed disdain for politicians who pit Americans against each other for personal or political gain.

First Muslim Representative Keith Ellison Calls For Outreach

Ellison, one of two Muslim congressmen, addressed terrorism and the perception of Muslims in the United States.

He outlined what he believes are positive approaches to combating extremism — among them not targeting the Muslim community.

“United States is not at war with Islam,” Ellison says. “The United States is a fair country.

We know that there are occasions where people are not treated fairly, but those things are not lawful so we’ve got to stand on our tradition of civil liberties.”

He addressed the wave of anti-Muslim sentiment by stressing the need for Americans to come to understand each other. Ellison also expressed disdain for politicians who pit Americans against each other for personal or political gain.

Brilliant...The guys a genius.:doubt:

I am privileged to personally know the only Muslim member of D.A.R. ( Daughters of the American Revolution)

She is the secretary at the Mosque and can trace her ancestry back to the Mayflower.

How do you know that she is the only muslim DAR? When I got into the DAR, I do not recall any questions about religion being asked.

She wears hijab and has attended meetings.

So I guess she should know. :cool:

I still don't understand; we call for Muslim Americans to help us fight terror, and show their support and love for America, and then, when a Muslim expresses his love for America, we insult him, and deny him, and question his patriotism and his motives yet again? What would you have Sunni do? What would you have other Americans who also happen to be Muslims do? Some of you can't even discuss your own love for this country, because you are too obsessed with questioning his.

Look, people, no one wants to win this war against Islamic terror, more than I do. No one wants to prevent another attack on America, more than I do; but I do not believe we need to persecute our own fellow Americans, to do either. That's not who we are, as a people; that's not what America is, as a nation. We don't build camps, and throw people behind the wire based on speculation, and without just cause. If someone acts against our country, we prosecute the offending individual(s) in a court of law; we don't try an entire group of our fellow citizens in the streets, in the media, or on a message board. We punish the guilty; we do NOT persecute the innocent. Sunni's "crime" is having some opinions a lot of us disagree with, but every single one of us has opinions someone disagrees with just as much. What's the difference; the fact that he happens to be of the same religion as those who attacked us on 9/11?

What are we going to do, if, God forbid, there is another attack; start hanging every Muslim we can find from every tree and lamp post? Well, are we? What we have to do beyond these shores, we have to do, but going after our own? We had all better think long and hard before we do that, because the day we do, that constitution a number of us swore to "support and defend" won't be worth the paper it's written on, and that would fly in the face of everything we celebrate, on Independence day.

Sunni seems determined to lecture America about race relations on the "glorious 4th" while his consituents are living in filth, abusing women and planning the next jihad against the great satan. God Bless America and happy 235 Birthday.

btw Happy 4th of July

Still going on; the fireworks are about to start.

btw I was into archery several years back.

Had a Matthews compound. :eusa_angel:

You should get back into it. Its good for your mellow. Drought canceled fire works here. I have a food hang over any way.

I agree with him. Republican policies have caused more harm than Bin Laden and al Qeada could even dream about.

all you have to do is prove you are the descendant of a patriot during the american revolution

Forum List

Back