Four months of driving an EV some observations

Actually, experts say to only charge your EV battery to around 80%
That continually charging it to 100% will greatly decrease the long term life of the battery.

So when you think about it. The EV manufactures like Tesla always base their milage range claims on a fully charged battery. While knowing the smart owner will only charge their Tesla to around 80%
It's really a bait and switch misleading con job. ... :cool:
Great point

That's strange because I'm not doing anything that is particularly weird.
Here's a report for you where it found EV's on average cost 52% more than it's equivalent ICE model.

So, if I on average spend £20,000 on a new ICE car, I need to spend £30,400 on an EV to get an equivalent model. So how much do you need to save in charging compared to diesel to recoup the initial £10,400? The annual saving in fuel is £4,493 over 5 years to recharge v buying fuel. So £10,400/(£4,493/5) = 11.5 years.

Ok, at the moment, there's Vehicle Excise Duty (road tax) to take into account and the cost of any maintenance difference. I've not tried to build in any of those cost because -

1. Some kind of tax per mile will eventually come out for EV's

2. You can choose between an independent garage or main dealer for an ICE vehicle, it's likely you're stuck with the main dealer with an EV at the present.

3. And when things can go wrong with an EV, I haven't a clue on costings.

4. I can service my own car and I choose the frequency. I do the oil filter, air filter, and oil every year, sometimes every other year. Cabin filter gets replaced when air flow is crap. The car is now 20 yrs old. I repair/replace any parts of the running gear (equally found on an EV) where I can, and an independent garage on other parts.

So you do save £899 in fuel per year over me, but in order for you to get that, you have to pay 11.5 years of diesel/petrol in advance. And if someone buys an EV with a loan, they're paying interest, thus extending the 11.5 years (of course, road tax maintenance difference to reduce this)

Nice looking car. If I owned one, I still couldn't charge it from the opposite side of the street from my upstairs apartment. So my problem just got more expensive.
It is a great looking car but it will be very pricey.. Another problem is that we are a 3 car family so would a 200 amp home service be enough

It is a great looking car but it will be very pricey.. Another problem is that we are a 3 car family so would a 200 amp home service be enough
Whatever you have supplying your home, you should have 10% clear. Would you get 200amp supply to a domestic property?

Fortunately my son's Telsa was under warranty. They gave him a loner vehicle for the almost a month it took to be repaired but it was still a pain in the ass. The Atlanta Police were pissed because of the traffic problems caused by the vehicle just going dead in the middle of rush hour.
Anything promoted by Joke Biden is bound to be a disaster.

1.) It's not cheaper than gas.

It is for me because I have free charging at the dealership that's 2 miles down the street and free charging at work. Very few people are going to have those options. The commercial charging stations are all right around $0.30 a minute. Now EV batteries have what you call a cumulative resistance to charging which means the higher the charge the slower the charging takes place. So if you drive into the charging station at roughly 5% your first 40 or 50% will happen very quickly. After that it slows down. By the time you hit 90% you're spending up to 5 minutes for 1% of charge.
I've learned to do different things while I'm waiting at the charger since you really can't walk away from your car trusting that somebody else won't unplug it. ( Something I never thought of until it happened to me). I'm currently working on my next degree in mechanical engineering and I find that down time an excellent opportunity to catch up on course work. But it is very time consuming and you do have to plan differently than if you were just going to the gas station for a quick fill up. With the current pricing at the commercial charging station even with the high price of gas right now it's pretty much a wash. And you're definitely better off with a little four cylinder turbo diesel that gets 50 to 60 miles a gallon.

2.) Total cost of ownership is another way to look at an EV. I don't need oil changes, I don't need antifreeze, I don't need transmission fluid, I don't need to be bothered with emissions testing or all the very expensive fixes that follow failures. I do still need tires now and then but I'm still working on my first pair of course.... And the automobile will need brake maintenance and drivetrain maintenance although it does not have a transmission.

3.) I don't miss the smell of spent exhaust. I can sit in the William's tunnel during a traffic jam and use absolutely no energy while sitting. It's very quiet.... So was my Maxima but this is even more quiet than the Maxima. The automobile itself has plenty of horsepower though I'm not sure exactly what it is it's very responsive to the accelerator.

4.) Heat in the winter is a problem... it probably decreases the car's range by up to 15% which is considerable.

5.) Having said that I expect that air conditioning will also do the same thing.

6.) Most information available right now indicates that EV's actually have a larger carbon footprint than the gas powered alternatives. Not sure where all of this is going but it looks like everyone's bought into the circle jerk so we're heading into EV land like it or not. Carbon footprint be damned!

Just a side note here I hope everyone realizes that there's only one way to make steel and that's with Coal. The simply is no other way to do it. So the more electric vehicles we need the more coal burning we will have to do to create the steel unless we begin to build them out of something else.

Jo

I hate to bust your bubble and how good this thing is, but the plan they have dude they fkd you car owners over so bad you have no idea the plans for this bs that is coming.

They are going to tax the shit out of this , the game tax the people so severely you can barely OWN anything.

go research THE GREAT RESET!!! Build back better. They tell you this , you have to decode the shit they are telling you to your faces and then look at the headlines saung how “ we will be made to use this or that.

This tax plan is being told to you via “ go green” AOC told you ppl.

So with all of this comes guess what “ CONTROLLED BLACK OUTS” like what happened in Texas
LIke what happens in other countries…… You won’t have power to charge.

The problem with hybrid cars is the astronomical cost to repair them and price of parts. Most independent auto mechanic shops won't touch them. So you're forced to take your hybrid to the dealership. Expensive!!
Also, the resale value of used hybrids is dismal.
Who wants to buy a used car that's soon gonna need big bucks repairs?

That's exactly the appeal of EV's to the manufacturers. Cutting the local grease monkeys completely out of the loop means a lot more money to them. Also will hurt after market replacement parts manufacturers. Getting the drivers into their facilities more often allows them to sell the virtues of "genuine gm parts" as well as gives them time to show their newest model while the customer is waiting on his ride.

That's exactly the appeal of EV's to the manufacturers. Cutting the local grease monkeys completely out of the loop means a lot more money to them.

Didn't internal combustion engine design already try that? By upping the amount of electronics and designing the engines so they are difficult to work in and on. Garage's had to adapt and get new equipment, new training.

It's almost as if TIME MOVES FORWARD.

That plus the complicated electronics take specialized training and tools to repair and are fairly dangerous because of the high voltage. Which is why most independent auto mechanic shops refuse to work on them.
So you have to take your hybrid to the big bucks dealership for repairs.

It's already begun, but what you're not hearing about (and wont) is the nightmare awaiting anyone involved in even a small EV accident. All those high voltage electronics just aren't good at dealing with impacts.
There are going to be millions of lightly damaged, too expensive to repair, totalled EV's piling up leaking hazardous fluids into the ground all over the place.

Do I need to mention that auto insurance will become as expensive as an EV itself due to this?
These people have no clue the nightmare they are creating in their faux rush to "save the planet"

It's already begun, but what you're not hearing about (and wont) is the nightmare awaiting anyone involved in even a small EV accident. All those high voltage electronics just aren't good at dealing with impacts.
There are going to be millions of lightly damaged, too expensive to repair, totalled EV's piling up leaking hazardous fluids into the ground all over the place.

Do I need to mention that auto insurance will become as expensive as an EV itself due to this?
These people have no clue the nightmare they are creating in their faux rush to "save the planet"
We are many years away before EV technology is even CLOSE to as safe and efficient as combustion engine vehicles. What's wrong with waiting until the technology and the infrastructure is ready for deployment?

Forum List

Back