Four months of driving an EV some observations

People who want to buy an electric car should just go with a tesla. I'm not aware of an ICE car that can give you what a tesla will give you in terms of features. You get what you pay for and more. Nor do ICE cars give you an 8 year warranty either. Here in the states it's also possible to find free supercharging stations, and in some states electricity can be as low as 8 cents per kwh to charge at home, although it can be as high as 25 cents. Good luck paying $8 per gallon in the UK.
Even at £1.709 per litre of diesel, you have to do an awful lot of miles to justify buying the electric version due to the expense of buying one. And the only trouble is, I don't feel comfortable in towing 3 tons to a building site in a Tesla, then climbing back in cacked up with mud and dust.

There's a market for Teslas and EV's in general. It's not as big as many would think. If many are struggling with inflation, cost of living, and everything like that going on, then going out to buy a new EV at a 3rd dearer to an ICE version, then investing in solar to help charge it, money trees are as rare as hen's teeth. And on top of that, a third of motorists would have to move house because they cannot charge from home.

And if you invest in solar, it's not something you can not really viably unbolt and take with you if you move house.

So if EV's are a replacement, it's not gonna happen in one or two decades, it's taken 100 years to get where we are with ICE vehicles, so EV timescales are unrealistic. And another problem, not every country enjoys adequate/sufficient sun.

So I'm sitting back and watching those buying EV's to fund the market, and "IF" I end up on the EV picture, at least they created a used EV market.

Kia give you 7 years, up to 100,000 miles warranty on their ICE cars. In the UK, 100,000 with satisfy the majority of motorists.

The commercial charging stations are all right around $0.30 a minute. Now EV batteries have what you call a cumulative resistance to charging which means the higher the charge the slower the charging takes place. So if you drive into the charging station at roughly 5% your first 40 or 50% will happen very quickly. After that it slows down. By the time you hit 90% you're spending up to 5 minutes for 1% of charge.

They're charging by time rather than by the amount of energy? That seems kind of fucked-up to me.

And what jumps out at me about the broader situation that you describe here, is that if you're someone who wants to keep your car “topped off”, so you put it back to charge when it's still mostly full, you're going to end up paying a lot more for energy to charge it, than if you run it down to almost empty before you charge it.

I was traveling recently and pulled off the Interstate to get some gas.
There was also an EV charging area off to the side and several cars were plugged up to a charger. All of the drivers were setting in their EV's reading a book or magazine.
I just laughed and finished filling up my car.
5 minutes total I was back on the highway heading home.
While the EV drivers were still sitting there tied to their electric umbilical cord.

Imagine being a construction worker, tired after a long day of hard work at a distant construction site. Perhaps what would be an hour or two drive home, possibly more, depending on traffic (one site on which I worked, took an hour to get to early in the morning, but usually took three or four hours to get home in the afternoon, due to bad traffic), and you're eager to get home. You really need to get home, and have enough time to wind down and go to bed, to get enough sleep before you have to get up the next morning.

But you can't go straight home, because you need to charge your car. Not just a few minutes to pump gasoline into an internal-combustion-engined car, but hours to charge an electric car.

The problem with hybrid cars is the astronomical cost to repair them and price of parts. Most independent auto mechanic shops won't touch them. So you're forced to take your hybrid to the dealership. Expensive!!
Also, the resale value of used hybrids is dismal.
Who wants to buy a used car that's soon gonna need big bucks repairs?

Hybrids still depend on batteries, just as pure electrics do. Those batteries still have a relatively short usable life, and are very expensive to replace.

Imagine having an internal-combustion-engined car, that needs to have the engine and transmission completely replaced every five ten years or so of normal use.

It's worse than that.

Even at £1.709 per litre of diesel, you have to do an awful lot of miles to justify buying the electric version due to the expense of buying one.

Here in the US I bought my full electric Chevy Bolt for almost exactly what a similarly sized internal combustion engine car would be.

So if EV's are a replacement, it's not gonna happen in one or two decades, it's taken 100 years to get where we are with ICE vehicles,

No, ICE vehicles only took maybe about 30 years to go from novelty to part of the landscape complete with infrastructure like filling stations etc.

so EV timescales are unrealistic. And another problem, not every country enjoys adequate/sufficient sun.

I live in the Pacific Northwest. You may have heard of it; rains for about 6 months solid. I have a solar PV on my house which maintains about 1000kwh excess month over month year round and I have done so for about 5 years.

Kia give you 7 years, up to 100,000 miles warranty on their ICE cars. In the UK, 100,000 with satisfy the majority of motorists.

It wasn't always thus with ICE vehicles. I still remember my first new car purchase back in the 80's and the warranties were not always so generous.

There was also an EV charging area off to the side and several cars were plugged up to a charger. All of the drivers were setting in their EV's reading a book or magazine.
While the EV drivers were still sitting there tied to their electric umbilical cord.

The EV crowd is so WOKE, they're stupid.

Bwahahahahah..... electric umbilical.....
I'm stealing that!

The problem with hybrid cars is the astronomical cost to repair them and price of parts. Most independent auto mechanic shops won't touch them. So you're forced to take your hybrid to the dealership. Expensive!!
Also, the resale value of used hybrids is dismal.
Who wants to buy a used car that's soon gonna need big bucks repairs?
Yes, every other year I buy oil, an oil filter, and an air filter for my car. What a fortune :rolleyes:

EV's still have antifreeze in a coolant system for the batteries. Then apart from that, the only different cost I have is an exhaust, and a FRACTION of electrics to go wrong.

Finally a good looking 4 door Porsche and its an EV at that
33087133998_8473393e24_o.jpg

They're charging by time rather than by the amount of energy? That seems kind of fucked-up to me.

And what jumps out at me about the broader situation that you describe here, is that if you're someone who wants to keep your car “topped off”, so you put it back to charge when it's still mostly full, you're going to end up paying a lot more for energy to charge it, than if you run it down to almost empty before you charge it.
Yeah the last ten percent costs a fortune actually you're paying about 9 bucks for less than 40 miles and that's being generous.
The EV stations are losers right now...Musk had it right...he doesn't plan to make money on the charging. Tesla owners can pull up to a tesla charging station and just hook up. It's amazing actually....and one hell of a marketing ploy I might add.. Already the charging networks are having their woes.
I find that the ones that go in to disrepair take months to come back online...probably because the repair is massively expensive so the owner of the kiosk or whatever you want to call it has to brace himself for the cost and then try to figure out how the hell he's going to recoup that with a losing enterprise.

JO

Last edited:
yeah the last ten percent costs a fortune actually
Actually, experts say to only charge your EV battery to around 80%
That continually charging it to 100% will greatly decrease the long term life of the battery.

So when you think about it. The EV manufactures like Tesla always base their milage range claims on a fully charged battery. While knowing the smart owner will only charge their Tesla to around 80%
It's really a bait and switch misleading con job. ... :cool:

Actually, experts say to only charge your EV battery to around 80%
That continually charging it to 100% will greatly decrease the long term life of the battery.

So when you think about it. The EV manufactures like Tesla always base their milage range claims on a fully charged battery. While knowing the smart owner will only charge their Tesla to around 80%
It's really a bait and switch misleading con job. ... :cool:
So, if I redo my calculations and only fill my van to 80%, I would have to do 20% more miles to break even! It gets worse for the electric argument.

Most people go by cost in life, EV's are more expensive.

Forum List

Back