Four-day workweek, 46% raise: UAW makes 'audacious' demands ahead of possible strike against Big 3 automakers

You must live in a shitty fucking house if if cost less than a truck
How mature of you. He said BEFORE COVID. Also, LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.

I live in a capital city. Housing prices have been moderate until the past few years. It was certainly possible to buy a starter home or townhouse for less than $100,000. As a kid, I really drove a $100.00 pickup truck. Ford F-100, V-8, AM radio, three on the tree, and power NOTHING. Oh, it had heat and I lived in Miami.

Now I look at used pickup trucks that are more showpieces than work trucks for close to $100,000. To me, sheer insanity.

So, you are saying that BEFORE COVID a house cost less than 50 grand?
Fence%20Post-S.jpg

A four-day workweek at full-time pay, a 46% wage increase and a share of company profits are among the demands of the union representing approximately 150,000 workers at the Big 3 U.S. automakers -- General Motors, Ford and Stellantis.

The United Auto Workers, or UAW, has vowed to launch a strike on Sept. 14 if the union and the automakers fail to reach an agreement by then.

Even UAW President Shawn Fain last month described the workers' set of demands as "audacious." He has defended the ambitious agenda in a series of public statements, citing billions in profits enjoyed by the Big 3.

The automakers, meanwhile, have largely rejected the demands. Only Ford has presented a contract proposal, offering a 9% wage increase over the term of the contract, plus a one-time payout that brings the total raise to 15%.

We're moving in the direction where unless you have a Government job, a Union job, or work for a large tech company you're fucked.

Plenty of foreign cars are made in USA without unions......Just sayin'.

Outrageous demands like this will just ensure that Ford assembles cars in Mexico

Once again, what is the typical net profit for a grocery chain?

Once again what? You are never going to know that unless you're the CFO or some other insider. If you think they're starving to death don't buy their stock.

Or did you fall for that silly speech they gave new employees that they were 'lucky to clear 1 cent on the dollar!!!' lol rubbish. I bagged groceries at age 14 and through high school, and I don't recall any of us bag boys sharing a red cent with any other employee. But hey, I bet like all the other right wingers you were 'special' and a selfless paragon of fairness.

Last edited:
Likewise but MUCH smaller numbers.

In 1960 I got my first "real" job at 16 years old, where I needed a SS card. I was hired as a bagboy at our local grocery store. Because we could take tips, our pay was $0.85 per hour. Minimum wage was $1.00 per hour. I quickly learned the meaning of great service, being punctual, knowing the customers, etc. We quickly doubled and tripled our hourly wage.

A couple of years and we were unionized. Bottom line, instead of bagboys, we were classified as "utility clerks" and got a huge increase to $1.15 per hour. BUT we could now be used for "clean up on aisle 8", trim cabbage, cashier, and stock shelves, whatever. So, we netted far less than before the union. Lesson learned, even at that tender age.

Nobody tipped the stockers, the register clerks, the warehouse people, the janitorial people, etc., so yes, they voted to unionize. Why should they care about your tips? You don't seem like the type who would share them with anybody else.

Nobody tipped the stockers, the register clerks, the warehouse people, the janitorial people, etc., so yes, they voted to unionize. Why should they care about your tips? You don't seem like the type who would share them with anybody else.
Why would I share with them? They were being paid roughly 25% - 30% more than me. Any one of them could have taken a job as a bagboy and gambled on their income.

Why would I share with them? They were being paid roughly 25% - 30% more than me. Any one of them could have taken a job as a bagboy and gambled on their income.

So you answered your own snivel about your fellow workers organizing and voting in a union rep. As for stores not having them any more, I get all the help I need by just asking an employee. I have yet to be refused any help at any store.

Outrageous demands like this will just ensure that Ford assembles cars in Mexico

Which is why most informed people started asking for the cars assembled in Canada. lol especially the engines. Mexico builds crappier stuff than Red China does. And, the infrastructure for most of those new maquilas was paid for by American taxpayers, via USAID and subsidies from the Fed. Right wingers love welfare, they just snivel when it goes in someone else's pockets is all.

I dated a girl back in 1989. My uncle owned a Chrysler, Dodge, GMAC dealership at the time. You could buy a Chrysler LeBaron Convertable GTX. Loaded with every option available at the time. Tagged at roughly $8,300. I could sell it for $6,800. Back to the girl, she got a job at GMc Kettering starting at $25/hrs. No special skill just working the line. Today ya start at the big three at $17/hrs. How much does a brand new loaded convertable cost today? But ya get to start at significantly less for same job today. YA, that makes sense.
ok, so send the factory to china then

I never said it was

But many on the left want government to mandate wages
Why bring up a Strawman argument? No one in this thread did this.

Besides the left has no power in this country. Ds and libs aren’t leftists.

What is impossible about the uaw offer?
All of it

Being paid 5 days for 4 days work

A 40% raise in hourly pay

The employees are practically resigning from the workplace and begging to be replaced by chinese or robots

There is always going to be conflict between employer and employee. It HSS to be that way in healthy capitalism. These conflicts help the system. It cannot work if every employee willingly gives into the demands of an employer.

No, you’re just a loser jealous of lowly paid autoworkers.
Wrong again, moron, while i was over in Saudi Arabia, working on their F-15s making very good money, Non Union, they put across from me a black union thug, who sat on his ass all day, and then when it was quitting time, he told the floor manager he needed overtime to get things where they needed to be. And the floor manager gave it to him. Then when the week was over, the white chicken shit bosses came to me wanting to know why it was taking longer to get that area finished. Can you imagine that? They bring in the white non union worker, not the lazy black asshole union worker who knew all he had to do was call racism and the shit would hit the fan. I know all about Onions, dont need them, because the union bosses live like CEOs on union dues, and dont give a shit about the "workers".

Forum List

Back