found this on whether a VP can call for different electors (for president of US)

rightnow909

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2021

As per usual, I am in a hurry, have not read this entire article but have copied to read it later... thought I would share w/ those of you who have more time than I...

It's an old article but I will try to find a more recent one written by a Constitutional law expert. I am 99% sure that a VP can choose a different slate of electors...

+

“Since 1887, 3 U.S.C. 15 has set the method for objections by Members of Congress to electoral votes. During the Joint Session, lawmakers may object to individual electoral votes or to state returns as a whole. An objection must be declared in writing and signed by at least one Representative and one Senator. In the case of an objection, the Joint Session recesses and each chamber considers the objection separately for no more than two hours; each Member may speak for five minutes or less. After each house votes on whether to accept the objection, the Joint Session reconvenes and both chambers disclose their decisions. If both chambers agree to the objection, the electoral votes in question are not counted. If either chamber opposes the objection, the votes are counted.

Objections to the Electoral College votes were recorded in 1969, 2005, and 2021. In all cases, the House and Senate rejected the objections and the votes in question were counted.”

There is not a real constitutional scholar in this nation that will tell you the VP is empowered to overturn an election he lost. The very idea is an affront to the ideal of a free election.

As per usual, I am in a hurry, have not read this entire article but have copied to read it later... thought I would share w/ those of you who have more time than I...

It's an old article but I will try to find a more recent one written by a Constitutional law expert. I am 99% sure that a VP can choose a different slate of electors...

+
No. They can't. To do so is direct subversion of Constitutional process. It's akin to a coup.

I see NOTHING that indicates the VP has the power and authority to reject fraudulent votes. NOTHING whatsoever. Here's what actually happened:

According to Roll Call, there was a dispute in 1960 as to which candidate had won the electoral votes from Hawaii. It originally was determined that Nixon had narrowly won the votes in Hawaii, but Kennedy's team called for a recount, which revealed that Kennedy had won the state.

However, Hawaii Governor William Francis Quinn certified both the Republican and Democratic slate of electors to be counted at the joint session, first sending the Republican slate of electors, then sending the Democratic slate after the official recount.

According to the Library of Congress, "When citizens cast their ballots for president in the popular vote, they elect a slate of electors. Electors then cast the votes that decide who becomes president of the United States."

Because the Democratic slate of electors arrived after the recount, and was deemed more accurate than the Republican slate of electors, Nixon, a Republican, asked for unanimous consent to count the Democratic slate, certifying Kennedy's victory.

Unlike the 1960 election, in 2020 there was no recount or audit or anything else that changed the election results for that state. THERE WAS NO BASIS FOR PENCE TO DO ANYTHING EXCEPT ACCEPT THE ORIGINAL RESULTS AND THE APPOINTED ELECTORS. Nixon did NOT reject the original results, which BTW were not declared to be fraudulent.

You realize it would have to work both ways, right?

In your world, the Democrats could appoint an alternate slate of electors in every state, even the ones they lost big, and then fake stories about "fraud" in those states. Harris could then choose to accept only those "alternate electors" based on the "fraud", thus putting Biden back into office automatically.

Needless to say, I don't agree.

+

Your source is WELOVETRUMP.COM.

I will pass

Your source is WELOVETRUMP.COM.

I will pass
right

anyone who loves the one some have called Best President Ever

must be cookoo....

baby killers, however, are like... God

they play God, therefore they are God

well, if that's what you believe..

i myself will pass... on answering any of your posts

+

right

anyone who loves the one some have called Best President Ever

must be cookoo....

yes, and anyone that calls Trump the Best President Ever is even more insane. That is like calling Johnny Manziel the best QB ever

baby killers, however, are like... God

Nope, they are nothing like God.

they play God, therefore they are God

A lot of people play god, it does not make them God.

well, if that's what you believe..

i myself will pass... on answering any of your posts

Those are your words and thoughts have no semblance of my own.

yes, and anyone that calls Trump the Best President Ever is even more insane. That is like calling Johnny Manziel the best QB ever
just because morons don't think...

well, we could stop right there, I guess

but just bc morons don't think some person is best president

doesn't mean it isn't so...

we don't care what morons think

anyone that [sic] calls Trump the Best President Ever is someone who didn't watch fake news cnn and co. for the last 5 years

+

Pence had the right to question the electors and choose whichever slate he wanted OR send electors back to the states that had 2 sets...

+

Pence had the right to question the electors and choose whichever slate he wanted OR send electors back to the states that had 2 sets...

That is just not true and has never been done. First of all, we cannot allow the sitting VP to overturn the results of a presidential election wherein he lost his job. It is not and should not be in his purview alone to determine whether the extent of the fraud proves that the incumbent president should remain in office when the election shows the people decided otherwise. Some legal and constitutional scholars may argue the readings of the 1887 Electoral Count Act could be interpreted differently; I maintain that is not and should not be Pence's decision to interpret that law or the 12th Amendment in a way that subverts an election that has not been proven in any state to be fraudulent to the point where the wrong man got elected. Nowhere in any state has that occurred.

IOW, WE SIMPLY CANNOT HAVE AN ELECTORAL SYSTEM WHERE ONE AND ONLY ONE PERSON HAS THAT AUTHORITY. THERE IS NO WAY SUCH A SYSTEM IS OR SHOULD BE LEGAL. OTHERWISE, WE ARE NO BETTER THAN VENEZUELA OR CHINA OR RUSSIA.

You can have a mountain of allegations and evidence that challenges the accuracy and results of an election, but that is not enough. IMHO, there has to be a judicial ruling in any affected state that has been approved or confirmed by it's legislature AND it's governor to overturn the election after it has been verified and validated. The Vice President cannot and should not take it upon himself to make that call. Any senator or representative may object to the electors from each state; If an objection is raised, then a debate occurs in each chamber of Congress and they vote separately to accept or reject the objection, and the objection must be rejected by a majority in in chamber. That is the way it has been done in the past and that is the way it should be done in the future.

That is just not true and has never been done. First of all, we cannot allow the sitting VP to overturn the results of a presidential election
I cannot discuss this issue with you because of how you have distorted the truth from the get-go

no one said anything about anyone overturning the results... Lefties are liars...

Did cnn tell you that... that Pence would be overturning the results if he questioned them?

you poor thing... you really ought to think about what is going into the old noggin..... you know... b4 it becomes dogma in the old gray matter

+
No..he didn't. And still doesn't. And the VP won't ever have that power. The states certified their elections and the slate of electors. End of story.
There's this little document sitting at the National Archives that covers this. Google it. :)

• Love
Reactions: BWK

Forum List

Back