Former TN Senator Fred Thompson just endorsed Newt Gingrich

oreo

Gold Member
Sep 15, 2008
rocky mountains
Thompson first explained what his criteria were in making his decision.

“The way I view the strength of these candidates had to do with the way I view the status and direction of our government,” Thompson said. “We’re in deep trouble. I probably think, I think that probably we are in greater trouble than most people do. Even these numbers that are coming out of Washington that look so bleak are understated.”

“I think we’re at a tipping point in this country,” he said. As far as that tipping point, Thompson described some of the things that might trouble the country in the future.

“There are going to be more people in the wagons soon than are pulling the wagon,” he predicted. “I think we’re there. Almost half the people are the recipient of some federal program. Almost half the people pay no federal income tax. I think this president is taking us down the road of a genuine welfare state full-fledged, even when we have the example of Europe to teach us and guide us. And I think the American people see what is going on there, see what’s going on in their own country.”

Thus, Thompson said, he was supporting Gingrich because he considered him the best at communicating what was important to Thompson.

“Newt Gingrich is the guy who can articulate what America is all about, American exceptionalism, can make the case and not just read the talking points or do it off the teleprompter, can make the case for free markets and our basic case that lower taxes can be good for everybody, and bring about growth, it’s good for everybody,” Thompson said.

Fred Thompson | Newt Gingrich | Endorsement | The Daily Caller

Fred Thompson--also part time actor and 2008 GOP candidate said something I agree with. He stated--that while everyone is continually looking for candidates outside of Washington D.C.--which Romney continually reminds of,--Thompson stated that Gingrich has spent 35 years in Washington D.C.---knows the problems and agencies within the federal government and is better equipped to dismantle these overblown agencies. He said to get it done--we're going to need someone who is TOUGH.

Fred has a lot of influence with over 65 year old voters.

Which is most of the Repubican Party.

That's what you Obamabot's would like to believe--but just to refresh your memory from this last Saturday.

sc-primary-map.png

Newt Gingrich won the INDEPENDENT vote--the FEMALE vote--the TEA PARTY vote--the EVANGELICAL vote. Hell he won it all--

Why does anyone care????

Quite frankly I don't support any presidential candidate but Paul....

That's what you Obamabot's would like to believe--but just to refresh your memory from this last Saturday.

sc-primary-map.png

Newt Gingrich won the INDEPENDENT vote--the FEMALE vote--the TEA PARTY vote--the EVANGELICAL vote. Hell he won it all--

He won the white vote in SC. :lol:

what the hell has happened to the gop? at first it was all...this is the nomination process and we are proud of it...now its just wtf has happened.....how the hell is newt....beating anyone?

and do you really think newt can beat obama? or is the gop just gonna hand obama 4 more years?

“The way I view the strength of these candidates had to do with the way I view the status and direction of our government,” Thompson said. “We’re in deep trouble. I probably think, I think that probably we are in greater trouble than most people do. Even these numbers that are coming out of Washington that look so bleak are understated.”

“I think we’re at a tipping point in this country,” he said. As far as that tipping point, Thompson described some of the things that might trouble the country in the future.

“There are going to be more people in the wagons soon than are pulling the wagon,” he predicted. “I think we’re there. Almost half the people are the recipient of some federal program. Almost half the people pay no federal income tax. I think this president is taking us down the road of a genuine welfare state full-fledged, even when we have the example of Europe to teach us and guide us. And I think the American people see what is going on there, see what’s going on in their own country.”

Thus, Thompson said, he was supporting Gingrich because he considered him the best at communicating what was important to Thompson.

“Newt Gingrich is the guy who can articulate what America is all about, American exceptionalism, can make the case and not just read the talking points or do it off the teleprompter, can make the case for free markets and our basic case that lower taxes can be good for everybody, and bring about growth, it’s good for everybody,” Thompson said.

Fred Thompson--also part time actor and 2008 GOP candidate said something I agree with. He stated--that while everyone is continually looking for candidates outside of Washington D.C.--which Romney continually reminds of,--Thompson stated that Gingrich has spent 35 years in Washington D.C.---knows the problems and agencies within the federal government and is better equipped to dismantle these overblown agencies. He said to get it done--we're going to need someone who is TOUGH.

I used to like Thompson.....then I saw him doing one of those "reverse mortgage" ads. All the hell those things accomplish is taking old folk's homes for a little over half of market value. A good friend of mine whose wife had al heimers checked into one of those and the best he was offered was 60% of the appraised value. Also....one must stay in the home and keep up the maintenance.

That's interesting. I like Thompson. I was living in Nunnelly when he ran for Senator. And yes he campaigned in his little red truck.

what the hell has happened to the gop? at first it was all...this is the nomination process and we are proud of it...now its just wtf has happened.....how the hell is newt....beating anyone?

and do you really think newt can beat obama? or is the gop just gonna hand obama 4 more years?

The republican party as such is dead. It is neither fiscal conservative nor socially responsible which is why my father in law says the party walked away from him.
He was a hard core republican fiscal conservative for 60 years.... until now.

The death of the republican party began when Watergate, Jerry Falwell,the Texas white house, Iran Contra and home loan frauds became the mission statement. To further put nails in the coffin
of the republican party was accomplished through the expertise of:

Elliott Abrams / James Baker / Gary Bauer / William J. Bennett / George Herbert

Walker Bush / GW Bush / Jeb Bush / Dick Cheney / Eliot A. Cohen / Midge Decter / Paula

Dobriansky / Steve Forbes / Aaron Friedberg / Francis Fukuyama / Frank Gaffney /

Newt Gingrich / Fred C. Ikle / Donald Kagan / Zalmay Khalilzad / I. Lewis Libby /

Oliver North / Norman Podhoretz / Vice Adm John Poindexter / Dan Quayle / Peter

W. Rodman / Stephen P. Rosen / Henry S. Rowen /Donald Rumsfeld / Vin Weber

/ George Weigel / Paul Wolfowitz /

Last edited:
I like Fred, but I'm still remembering how me massively disappointed me in 2008 by showing up to a gunfight with a knife.

Until Rick Perry showed up to a gunfight with a spoon. Then Fred took on a new dignity.

The republican party as such is dead. It is neither fiscal conservative nor socially responsible which is why my father in law says the party walked away from him.
He was a hard core republican fiscal conservative for 60 years.... until now.

The death of the republican party began when Watergate, Jerry Falwell,the Texas white house, Iran Contra and home loan frauds became the mission statement. To further put nails in the coffin
of the republican party was accomplished through the expertise of:

Elliott Abrams / James Baker / Gary Bauer / William J. Bennett / George Herbert

Walker Bush / GW Bush / Jeb Bush / Dick Cheney / Eliot A. Cohen / Midge Decter / Paula

Dobriansky / Steve Forbes / Aaron Friedberg / Francis Fukuyama / Frank Gaffney /

Newt Gingrich / Fred C. Ikle / Donald Kagan / Zalmay Khalilzad / I. Lewis Libby /

Oliver North / Norman Podhoretz / Vice Adm John Poindexter / Dan Quayle / Peter

W. Rodman / Stephen P. Rosen / Henry S. Rowen /Donald Rumsfeld / Vin Weber

/ George Weigel / Paul Wolfowitz /

You're exactly right but with me this hurt them just as bad. It's why I left the party and will never return:

Total U S Debt

09/30/2009 $11,909,829,003,511.75(80% Of All Debt Across 232 Years Borrowed By Reagan And Bushes)

09/30/2008 $10,024,724,896,912.49(Times Square Debt Clock Modified To Accomodate Tens of Trillions)

09/30/2007 $9,007,653,372,262.48
09/30/2006 $8,506,973,899,215.23
09/30/2005 $7,932,709,661,723.50
09/30/2004 $7,379,052,696,330.32

09/30/2003 $6,783,231,062,743.62(Second Bush Tax Cuts Enacted Using Reconciliation)

09/30/2002 $6,228,235,965,597.16

09/30/2001 $5,807,463,412,200.06(First Bush Tax Cuts Enacted Using Reconciliation)

09/30/2000 $5,674,178,209,886.86(Administration And Congress Arguing About How To Use Surplus)

09/30/1999 $5,656,270,901,615.43(First Surplus Generated...On Track To Pay Off Debt By 2012)

09/30/1998 $5,526,193,008,897.62
09/30/1997 $5,413,146,011,397.34
09/30/1996 $5,224,810,939,135.73
09/29/1995 $4,973,982,900,709.39
09/30/1994 $4,692,749,910,013.32

09/30/1993 $4,411,488,883,139.38(Debt Quadrupled By Reagan/Bush41)

09/30/1992 $4,064,620,655,521.66
09/30/1991 $3,665,303,351,697.03
09/28/1990 $3,233,313,451,777.25
09/29/1989 $2,857,430,960,187.32
09/30/1988 $2,602,337,712,041.16
09/30/1987 $2,350,276,890,953.00
09/30/1986 $2,125,302,616,658.42
09/30/1985 $1,823,103,000,000.00
09/30/1984 $1,572,266,000,000.00
09/30/1983 $1,377,210,000,000.00

09/30/1982 $1,142,034,000,000.00(Total Debt Passes $1 Trillion)

09/30/1981 $997,855,000,000.00

Well he is establishment, just doing his job for the AAE who is destroying the US.

Well he is establishment, just doing his job for the AAE who is destroying the US.

LOL....if Newt Gingrich is tough my scrotum is invincible...and it's 77 years old.

Last edited:
thompson first explained what his criteria were in making his decision.

“the way i view the strength of these candidates had to do with the way i view the status and direction of our government,” thompson said. “we’re in deep trouble. I probably think, i think that probably we are in greater trouble than most people do. Even these numbers that are coming out of washington that look so bleak are understated.”

“i think we’re at a tipping point in this country,” he said. As far as that tipping point, thompson described some of the things that might trouble the country in the future.

“there are going to be more people in the wagons soon than are pulling the wagon,” he predicted. “i think we’re there. Almost half the people are the recipient of some federal program. Almost half the people pay no federal income tax. I think this president is taking us down the road of a genuine welfare state full-fledged, even when we have the example of europe to teach us and guide us. And i think the american people see what is going on there, see what’s going on in their own country.”

thus, thompson said, he was supporting gingrich because he considered him the best at communicating what was important to thompson.

“newt gingrich is the guy who can articulate what america is all about, american exceptionalism, can make the case and not just read the talking points or do it off the teleprompter, can make the case for free markets and our basic case that lower taxes can be good for everybody, and bring about growth, it’s good for everybody,” thompson said.

fred thompson | newt gingrich | endorsement | the daily caller

fred thompson--also part time actor and 2008 gop candidate said something i agree with. He stated--that while everyone is continually looking for candidates outside of washington d.c.--which romney continually reminds of,--thompson stated that gingrich has spent 35 years in washington d.c.---knows the problems and agencies within the federal government and is better equipped to dismantle these overblown agencies. He said to get it done--we're going to need someone who is tough.

phear the phred!!!!!

sc-primary-map.png

In South Carolina. Ooooooo! Be still my heart.

Forum List

Back