For liberal Israelis, Netanyahu's win is a reality check

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Doesn't look to me like the two-state solution is growing in popularity the way some had tried to make everyone believe.

TEL AVIV, Israel (AP) — Israeli liberals woke up after national elections with a demoralizing feeling: Most of the country, in a deep and possibly irreversible way, does not think like they do.
There had been a sense of urgency among moderate Israelis, and even an ounce of hope, that widespread frustration with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's six straight years in office would lead voters to pull Israel away from what they perceive as its rightward march toward international isolation, economic inequality and a dead end for peace with the Palestinians.
But as the results trickled in on Wednesday, they showed Likud with a shocking lead that has all but guaranteed Netanyahu a third consecutive term. Netanyahu called it a victory "against all odds." The liberals' optimism has been replaced with despair — and an infuriating belief that the masses may never understand that logic shows the current path is suicidal.

"Drink cyanide, bloody Neanderthals. You won," award-winning Israeli author and actress Alona Kimhi wrote on her Facebook page, before erasing it as her comments became the talk of the town. "Only death will save you from yourselves."

Such rage rippled through liberal Israel this week. Social media was full of embittered Israelis accusing Netanyahu's supporters of racism, and some vowed to stop donating charity to the underprivileged whom they perceived as being automatic supporters of the right.

The prime minister's main rival denounced such attacks. "Attempts to divide, vilify and spread hate in Israeli society disgust me, and it doesn't matter whether it comes from the right or the left," wrote Zionist Unionleader Isaac Herzog on Facebook.

The anger was about far more than the election, reflecting a larger and more dramatic battle for the heart of the country.

Israel's founding fathers were Jews of Ashkenazi, or eastern European, descent and the ideological predecessors of the Labor party, the main faction in the rebranded Zionist Union. The left led the country for its first three decades until Likud — heavily backed by working class Jews of Mizrahi, or Middle Eastern, descent — gained power in 1977.

The Labor Party returned to power in the 1990s, leading the first efforts at peace with the Palestinians. But the Palestinian uprising in the early 2000s saw the return of hawkish rule, which in one form or another has lasted until today.
The divisions between right and left largely revolve around the question of what do with territories captured by Israel in the 1967 Mideast war — and the millions of Palestinians who live there.

Parties on the left would trade the land for peace and allow the creation of a Palestinian state. They also argue that the lands are a liability, since incorporating the Palestinians as citizens would destroy Israel as a Jewish-majority state.

The right emphasizes the lands' strategic value and biblical symbolism and pushes constantly for settling them with Jews. Its success in this endeavor has, paradoxically, put the country on a path toward being a place where Jews may no longer be a strong majority.

With more than 550,000 Israeli settlers now living in territories claimed by the Palestinians, Israeli liberals — along with the Palestinians — believe time is running out for the "two-state solution." So compelling is this "demographic argument" that Netanyahu himself has adopted its language, claiming at various times since 2009 that he, too, wants to end the occupation; but his party opposes this and Netanyahu continues to support the settlements, leading opponents to believe he is bamboozling them and adding to the sense of urgency.

MORE: For liberal Israelis Netanyahu s win is a reality check - Yahoo News

"Drink cyanide, bloody Neanderthals. You won," award-winning Israeli author and actress Alona Kimhi wrote on her Facebook page, before erasing it as her comments became the talk of the town. "Only death will save you from yourselves."

tucker-daaaamn.gif

If I were an Israeli liberal, I'd try to comfort myself with two potential mitigating factors:

First, as much as Bibi says Israel will go it alone if it has to, I doubt that it would/could.

Second, Bibi may just be trying the Reagan approach, peace through strength, all that, some amount of bluster & bluffing.

And I could be wrong on both counts. I do know that I sure as hell wouldn't want to be living there.

Last edited:
Israeli liberals can just count on more cash and leadership from the Obama administration.

Why would it be a reality check? This is the closest liberal Israeli's have come to winning. As Netanyahu continues to turn the rest of the world against Israel, it can only strengthen Israel's liberal parties.

Name me one Arab nation where Arabs are more free than Israel and I'll play your game.

Why would it be a reality check? This is the closest liberal Israeli's have come to winning. As Netanyahu continues to turn the rest of the world against Israel, it can only strengthen Israel's liberal parties.

Name me one Arab nation where Arabs are more free than Israel and I'll play your game.
Better name an Arab country that holds millions in gulags.

Better name an Arab country that holds millions in gulags.

Pakistan, Bangladesh, Afgahnistan for starters

As a liberal Israeli I voted for the Likud because of three main reasons.
1.Economy.
2.Netanyahu.
3.Three of the Likud members that are going to be ministers.
Regardless of the Palestinians I prioritize Israelis first, there are barely any real American style Liberals in the Knesset except maybe for Meretz, I have a small theory about political ideology but I'll keep that for next time.

Doesn't look to me like the two-state solution is growing in popularity the way some had tried to make everyone believe.

TEL AVIV, Israel (AP) — Israeli liberals woke up after national elections with a demoralizing feeling: Most of the country, in a deep and possibly irreversible way, does not think like they do.
There had been a sense of urgency among moderate Israelis, and even an ounce of hope, that widespread frustration with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's six straight years in office would lead voters to pull Israel away from what they perceive as its rightward march toward international isolation, economic inequality and a dead end for peace with the Palestinians.
But as the results trickled in on Wednesday, they showed Likud with a shocking lead that has all but guaranteed Netanyahu a third consecutive term. Netanyahu called it a victory "against all odds." The liberals' optimism has been replaced with despair — and an infuriating belief that the masses may never understand that logic shows the current path is suicidal.

Such rage rippled through liberal Israel this week. Social media was full of embittered Israelis accusing Netanyahu's supporters of racism, and some vowed to stop donating charity to the underprivileged whom they perceived as being automatic supporters of the right.

The prime minister's main rival denounced such attacks. "Attempts to divide, vilify and spread hate in Israeli society disgust me, and it doesn't matter whether it comes from the right or the left," wrote Zionist Unionleader Isaac Herzog on Facebook.

The anger was about far more than the election, reflecting a larger and more dramatic battle for the heart of the country.

Israel's founding fathers were Jews of Ashkenazi, or eastern European, descent and the ideological predecessors of the Labor party, the main faction in the rebranded Zionist Union. The left led the country for its first three decades until Likud — heavily backed by working class Jews of Mizrahi, or Middle Eastern, descent — gained power in 1977.

The Labor Party returned to power in the 1990s, leading the first efforts at peace with the Palestinians. But the Palestinian uprising in the early 2000s saw the return of hawkish rule, which in one form or another has lasted until today.
The divisions between right and left largely revolve around the question of what do with territories captured by Israel in the 1967 Mideast war — and the millions of Palestinians who live there.

Parties on the left would trade the land for peace and allow the creation of a Palestinian state. They also argue that the lands are a liability, since incorporating the Palestinians as citizens would destroy Israel as a Jewish-majority state.

The right emphasizes the lands' strategic value and biblical symbolism and pushes constantly for settling them with Jews. Its success in this endeavor has, paradoxically, put the country on a path toward being a place where Jews may no longer be a strong majority.

With more than 550,000 Israeli settlers now living in territories claimed by the Palestinians, Israeli liberals — along with the Palestinians — believe time is running out for the "two-state solution." So compelling is this "demographic argument" that Netanyahu himself has adopted its language, claiming at various times since 2009 that he, too, wants to end the occupation; but his party opposes this and Netanyahu continues to support the settlements, leading opponents to believe he is bamboozling them and adding to the sense of urgency.

MORE: For liberal Israelis Netanyahu s win is a reality check - Yahoo News

Alona Kimhi is a stupid bored woman with no connection to reality.

tucker-daaaamn.gif

This is said by a peace-loving liberal.

Apparantly, democracy is not that fun when people don't use it the exact way you like
I didn't vote likud. I don't like Netanyahu. I'm even a little disappointed, in a way. But that's what the people want, we should accept it, and wish the people luck and peace in the next 4 years.

That's it.

Cursing, wishing death, horrible words...by liberals? not surprising. And disgusting. This was fer election, he won, and he won fair, even if some of us don't like it.

This b*tch should zip it and crawl under the covers in shame of saying those words.

Forum List

Back