For Guitar Players

I didn't mean it like that. You are better than 90% of guitar players. And 99% of guitar players suck.
Thanks. M. You could say I'm one of those intermediate players
who never took it to the next level and kept his day job.. So my window of becoming a rock star at 60 is closing fast, but there's no rule against just having fun with it.
Don't be so pessimistic. Maybe we could start a band and call it "Midlife Crisis".

Too late...

MIDLIFE CRISIS BAND - Chicago Classic Rock, R&B and Funk
I was thinking of Reubin Kincaid.
Have a Partridge Family replica school bus for touring.
But play Deep Purple, Lynyrd Skynyrd ....originals....etc
Or Cutting Edge but that's already my lawncare co.

Want to see one of the greatest guitar performances of all time? I dont say that lightly. This is truly impressive. Roy Clark did it on the "Odd Couple". Watch how the actors stop acting and become mesmerized by his tremendous skill.

Thank you for sharing
That was awesome!
:)
HUGS

For Angelo:

I never thought of, or even knew, Christopher Cross as a guitar player. But I was soooo impressed with this guitar solo.

He doesn’t look the type. :p

I've seen that video before, but never noticed that Nathan East was on bass. That guy's a fuckin' monster.

As for people "not looking the part", check this guy out:

I haven't really played in quite some time, but I used to pay my mortgage with "band money" when I lived in San Diego. These are a few of the guitars in the stable:

1. "Excalibur" - My 1990 Strat. Named for the fact that getting this guitar was more difficult than pulling a sword from a stone. It used to belong to Eric Johnson, with whom I've become good friends over the years:

6499161957_82d7afd52d_o.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0664.jpg

2. My 1960 Strat (in time capsule condition!) - George Gruhn said this was the finest example of a 1960 Stratocaster that he's ever seen. He made me an offer, but I jusy couldn't part with it. I changed the white pickguard for the tortoise shell (but the screw holes match up!) and changed the tuners (again, matching screw holes!) because the low E and A strings wouldn't stay in tune. I have all the original parts:

6499161517_4dd1c3cdb7_o.jpg

3. My MIJ Pink Paisley Telecaster - I don't have this one anymore. I probably wold've kept it if I could've also gotten the paisley Strat, but it just wasn't meant to be. I got this in a sales promotion from Fender when I worked in guitar retail. I sold it for $2K. Not a bad profit:

6499162505_659d81f2d8_o.jpg

4. This is my 1998 Martin D-40. This was an absolute lap cannon. Unfortunately I had to let it go when things got a little lean. They're not super easy to find, but they're out there, and I will, someday, get another. The photo of me with the Martin was taken back in 1999:

6499160041_d1a1856931_o.jpg
18881754_10213389165185792_6011782446974723139_n.jpg

5. 2007 Taylor Doyle Dykes Signature Model Prototype - Taylor Guitars, just outside San Diego in El Cajon, used to hold a "Friends & Family Sale" every year about a month before Christmas. I'd go every year (I lived on three miles away from the Taylor factory), although I wouldn't always buy. This DDSM Proto was actually a 200 Series with some spec changes. The cool thing about it is that it was made in El Cajon, whereas the regular 200 Series are made in Tecate, Mexico. Only four of the prototypes were made, and this is believed to be the last surviving example. The guitar didn't sell well and it was dropped from the line. It was a fine guitar, but compared to the $5,000 production DDSM, this was viewed by the public as a cheap wanna-be. I've been friends with Doyle for 20 years so, when I heard he him say he wish he'd have gotten a hold of one of these (he was unaware I had one), I drove up to his Mom's in Jacksonville (Doyle's hometown) while he was visiting and gave it to him:

6492954569_0507eaf29a_o.jpg
6492954857_7dfd8f5dd1_o.jpg

6492954715_d7f61e530a_o.jpg
6492954285_62696a8295_o.jpg

6. 1986 Alvarez-Yairi DY-66 - My daughter refers to this as "The Coffin Guitar", as she's vowed that it will be buried with me when I die. I traded a '74 Gibson Blueridge for this in 1987. When I got it, it was in pristine, factory-perfect condition. I'm responsible for every nick, scrape, scratch, dent and crack. This guitar has been on fire, it's been in a flood, it's fallen out of the back of a van and it's been hit by a car. I can't kill it.

It won't let me:

6499160449_71607d9039_o.jpg

7. 2003 Taylor 314 - I normally don't buy guitars with pickups in them , as I prefer to choose the system I personally prefer. So, I opted away from the "CE" version of the 314 and installed a Schertler Bluestick in this. The tone is incredible. There was nothing real special about it. I was able to purchase it direct from the factory, as I worked at a Taylor dealer only seven miles away. I've since sold it to a friend who lives in Houston:

6499161295_3153ac5cce_o.jpg

Finally, here's a shot of me playing the '60 in front of about 15,000 people at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego prior to a San Diego State football game. My ex-wife set fire to that hat...

1441543_10202537287215625_970355642_n.jpg

This thread is for the guitar players. I have played 40 years. Since I was a wee little hellion. Please use this thread to post your own shit or any excerpts from players you like. My guitars or guitars I've owned.

Ibanez Electric. (Got it from a drug dealer in a tight financial pinch in the early 80's. Very nice guitar.

64 Les Paul Custom. Also very nice. Bought it for $600 bucks in the mid 80's. Sold it for $1,500 in the early 2000's.

My favorite current guitar is my Taylor Made 310 CE. Beautiful Instrument.

Washburn Acoustic I got back in 1981. Very nice. Excellent high end, Not the mid range or the power of the Taylor Made.

Various classical guitars I rarely play.

Angelo I know I've mentioned I am a big Ritchie Blackmore fan. This is an isolation track of Deep Purple's Burn. I think the playing is amazing. From 2:30 on mind blowing.

My brother bought me a beautiful Martin electric acoustic. I learned how to play when I was 35 and haven’t played in 7 years. I’m getting back into it. I love easy 3 or 4 or even 5 chord songs I can strum and sing. Any suggestions?

Right now I’m re memorizing

Times like these. I think foo fighters?

I love this ba tobey keith

You and I Jason mraz

My brother bought me a beautiful Martin electric acoustic. I learned how to play when I was 35 and haven’t played in 7 years. I’m getting back into it. I love easy 3 or 4 or even 5 chord songs I can strum and sing. Any suggestions?

You and I Jason mraz

I guess it depends on who you like. I remember very early on I got a Neil Young songbook for easy guitar. So.....Heart of Gold, Helpless, After the Gold Rush, Southern Man here I come. :)

Toney Keith sounds good, Jason Aldean, Garth Brooks if you're into country. Most Country songs are variations of I IV V or VI chords. In the key of G we are talking G, C, D, Em. In the key of C it would be C F G Am.

You and I Jason mraz
  • Learn to finger pick
  • Use a capo (the strings will be closer to the frets and easier to depress)
  • Learn to make some chords at the seventh fret (often you can leave the open strings with those you depress)

Last edited:
I guess it depends on who you like. I remember very early on I got a Neil Young songbook for easy guitar. So.....Heart of Gold, Helpless, After the Gold Rush, Southern Man here I come. :)

Toney Keith sounds good, Jason Aldean, Garth Brooks if you're into country. Most Country songs are variations of I IV V or VI chords. In the key of G we are talking G, C, D, Em. In the key of C it would be C F G Am.
I tried Garth and for some reason singing his songs is hard for me vocally.

zac brown too.

I used to play some Neil young. Can’t remember the song. I’ll try those songs. I used to know one song from every artist. Even songs like Blurred lines. I ran a music school a couple years and I was really into playing back then.

My hand strength is getting better. I can rip off 5 songs in a row no problem.

My neighbor is right. No one wants to hear a long long, unless you’re really good, which I ain’t. So shorten every song. I’m re learning talks to angels and the part where you sing said she talks to angels, they call her out by her name? I don’t do it twice each time in between verses. Just once.

You and I Jason mraz

Rain Song by Led Zeppelin

The tuning is strange but makes it easier to play D-G-C-G-C-D

Last edited:

Here’s another good easy song. Creep. G, b, c, Cm

Forum List

Back