Florida’s ports are booming after DeSantis offers alternative to Biden’s failure to solve West Coast ports backlogs and bottlenecks

When reading that article I never got the impression anyone was making the claim that Florida already had more capacity, in any sense. I assumed they were happy and proud that by offering incentives to countries that are struggling to get cargoes unloaded once they arrive in the U.S., Florida was hoping to build capacity for the future and to do so while this opportunity exists.

I can't say I understand what's going on in Cali. The last I heard it was nearly gridlocked due to the inability to get cargos unloaded and moved off site from the ports. That's a problem with Stevedores AND too few long haul truckers.

It’s a lot of problems. Similar problems have nearly fifty ships stacked up outside of Georgia’s ports.

First. A lot more cargo is coming than was even five years ago. This means that you need infrastructure. That is the dock facilities. Cranes and cargo handling equipment. Jockey trucks to move the cargo around the port. Next you need trained people to run the equipment. With security requirements it’s harder to get people to train. Thank you Department of Homeland Insecurity.

Next. The workers are skilled labor. That means they are viewed with derision by most of the “good” people who think college is the key to success. So finding people who want to do this is hard.

Now. Best will in the world. With a trained crew of about 25 you can move 40 containers in an hour. Probably you are going to move less. But you try for 40 an hour.

Now. Simple math. You have 5,000 containers to unload and load. You put some on too. Empty containers and some lodes containers.

How long is it going to take you when one crew can do an average of 300 a day. And that “1” crew is really 50 people working in two shifts.

If you run five crews. You can do say. 1,500 a day. Maybe you get it to 1,800 a day. If you hit the goal with all five crews it is going to take Two and a half days. Minimum.

Now. How long is it going to take to unload all of those dozens of ships. More of which are coming in all the time?

Next. Getting the containers off the ports. That is tail and truckers. Here again. You unload and load the trains and trucks. They drop off and pick up containers.

The equipment to do all of this is expensive and again. You need trained operators. It takes years before the operators are reaching peak performance.

You also need truckers. And there is a shortage of them. And everyone has to be cleared by the Department of Homeland Insecurity.

So the people are hard to find and you need thousands of them every day.

The cranes. The cranes are expensive. And take people to maintain. A lot of mechanics with specific expertise. Trained people. Yes. Even more trained people.

Now you are starting to get an idea of how hard it is to unload a ship. The billions of dollars in concrete, cranes, lifts, trucks, and people that is needed to unload a ship.

An Aircraft Carrier has some 5,000 people to support 90 aircraft. A Port is similar. Thousands of people to move containers at a moderately sized port. Tens of thousands when you count truckers and every step along the way. Dispatchers. Cargo planners. CBP, Agriculture inspectors. The list goes on and on.

I don’t think Florida has a single port that can take one of these much less the cranes to work one of those ships.

I mean. I don’t think the harbors are deep enough or wide enough. The cranes aren’t tall enough or reach far enough.

When reading that article I never got the impression anyone was making the claim that Florida already had more capacity, in any sense. I assumed they were happy and proud that by offering incentives to countries that are struggling to get cargoes unloaded once they arrive in the U.S., Florida was hoping to build capacity for the future and to do so while this opportunity exists.

I can't say I understand what's going on in Cali. The last I heard it was nearly gridlocked due to the inability to get cargos unloaded and moved off site from the ports. That's a problem with Stevedores AND too few long haul truckers.

Correct, no one made such a claim. The leftoid derps can only function in one direction: Biden good, DeSantis bad.

In Cali, unions are the biggest reason. Biden is beholden to unions and thus America gets screwed because of the incompetent Biden and Butty. And now that the new CA law regarding truckers is in effect, more DemonRat stuff, the problem will not get better.

Newsom is one of Klaus Schwab's WEF Young Global Leaders and a key player in trying to collapse the supply chain and starve us. DeSantis may have saved us from mass starvation in the future. No FL is nowhere near CA capacity all around but let's see what good old fashioned capitalism can do. I've seen huge construction projects in my town go up so fast, when there is money to be made, that it seems like overnight the skyline changed.

You guys need to really read the source material. I know it’s hard. But it’s ever so important.

This was the link quoted by the Conservative Propaganda.

It reflected the industry rebounding from the impact of the pandemic, while also outlining $4.5 billion in wish-list proposals to further bulk up ports against rising seas and to take advantage of labor issues at West Coast ports and lingering global supply-chain problems.

So as you read down. First. The bulk of the increase is the cruise ships getting back to normal operation after COVID. Not much of a shift from California.

Ok. Now let’s talk size and capacity. Tampa is Florida’s biggest port. About 5,000 acres of cargo and especially cruise terminal. Mostly cruise. But that includes liquid. Like petroleum products.

Not much of that space is containers.

By comparison. Long Beach and Port Los Angeles are combined more than twice the size of Tampa. And that is all cargo. Almost all of it containers.

All of Florida’s ports put together can’t handle the cargo that LA/Long Beach can.

Take a look at the ship tracker map. You won’t see much container traffic in Florida. Just north of Florida. You’ll see nearly 50 ships waiting to go to Georgia’s port.

Now. California does have some problems. But Florida would need ten years and literally fifty billion dollars to invest in infrastructure to begin to try and handle what California does.
Conservative propaganda? Is that anything like the inundated progressive propaganda?

Biden and that little rat Butty who plays pretend Transportation Secretary are total fails.

Joseph Failure Biden.

DeSantis stepped up where Biden failed​

It was in October 2021 that President Biden and Sec. Buttigieg began to belatedly address the post-pandemic supply chain bottlenecks and massive backlogs at West Coast ports that led to shortages of goods on retail shelves and helped contribute to inflationary pricing.​
However, as Biden and Buttigieg fumbled their response to that serious issue, Gov. DeSantis stepped up to declare for the world to hear that Florida’s 15 ports were not backlogged and were very much open for business to all who would come, and even offered various incentives to encourage corporations to alter their distribution networks to be based out of Florida instead of California.​
In a statement issued at that time, DeSantis said, “As the rest of the nation faces rampant inflation and businesses stare down unprecedented supply chain problems, our message is this: Florida is here, we have capacity, we have incentive packages to help businesses who want to move here and we are going to make sure Americans get their Christmas Gifts this season.”​

Positive growth and future outlook for Florida’s ports​

Fast-forward to the current day and a report released this week from the Florida Ports Council that highlighted how the state’s ports “have well-positioned Florida to answer supply chain demands, and take advantage of a realignment in global trade routes,” even as West Coast ports continue to struggle with backlogs and now face additional issues related to union labor contract negotiations and threatened lockouts, slowdowns, and strikes.​
Michael Rubin, the program administrator of the Florida Seaport Transportation and Economic Development Council, said, “Florida’s seaports are flexing their muscles, and seizing the opportunity to become a global hub by capturing an even larger share of international trade and related commercial activities.”​
The report itself documented the alteration of some global shipping lanes and the emergence of new direct routes from Asia to Florida as well as the growth and return on investment witnessed in all of the state’s 15 major ports.​
It further revealed an incredibly positive outlook for the future in both the short and long-term that stands in stark contrast to the still problematic West Coast ports, particularly in California.​

did you check the percentage of goods that Florida moves each day ??? It's 2.3 percent to 3. 5 percent of the goods coming into the U.S. ...did ya look at California's percentage of goods coming into the US ??? I don't think you did ... at 2.3 percent if Desnatis could move that he should be fired ... California moved 47% of the goods coming into the u.s. Biden took it from 9 days in the ports to 4 days in the ports ... seems you didn't do you research ... you grabbed the first right-wing nut cases web site and thought you were doing a good thing ... that conciderable way more the florida has ever moved ... do your research befor you come here and look stupid ...

Why? So you can again ignore the actual discussion and continue your Trump-hating, "Trumpster" hating banter with the other leftists?

Sounds.....exciting.
:rolleyes:
I have asked him to explain an OP he made once. He asked me "why"
He is a narcissistic, lying, hyperbolic hypocrite.

Then explain how DeSantis has been a failure.

Explain that, or admit to being a monumental retard.

Either way, it makes no difference to me...
I already explained it for you, the head retard here… Desantus move 2.3 % of the freight in the country … California moves 47% of the freight in the country … your comparison is ridiculous Florida doesn’t even move half the freight that California does… why would any country send freight to the Florida when the trip coming from China is closer and anything coming from Asia and the Middle East is shorter … like I said retard your head is in your add

Last edited:
Then explain how DeSantis has been a failure.

Explain that, or admit to being a monumental retard.

Either way, it makes no difference to me...
What he’s doing is trying to make trump into something he’s not … he continually say how his policy have been working so great …?when you ask what policy are you speaking if … goose eggs come fromevthis guys … why ??? Because they all know all of his chicken got loose signatures only sing bills that had nothing to do with new policy … but I’m not worried this latest debacle he has done is going to land him into jail … they can screen and yell all they want but keeping classified documents is a federal crime… he did’t go through any of the process to declassify one he just waving his hand in the air saying it … now trump know he’s going to have something knew in his life bubba on his back side telling him to squeal like a pig Donnie !!!

I already explained it for you, the head retard here… Desantus move 2.3 % of the freight in the country … California moves 47% of the freight in the country … your comparison is ridiculous Florida doesn’t even move half the freight that California does… why would any country send freight to the Florida when the trip coming from China is closer and anything coming from Asia and the Middle East is shorter … like I said retard your head is in your add

That you would call anyone a retard is laughable.

I love when the jokes write themselves.

Before you choose to attempt to insult someone's intelligence, be sure that your own profound lack of intelligent has not been put on display.

Dipshit...

Because they all know all of his chicken got loose signatures only sing bills that had nothing to do with new policy …

What??

but I’m not worried this latest debacle he has done is going to land him into jail

Is going to land who in jail?

they can screen and yell all they want but keeping classified documents is a federal crime… he did’t go through any of the process to declassify one he just waving his hand in the air saying it … now trump know he’s going to have something knew in his life bubba on his back side telling him to squeal like a pig Donnie !!!

This is how I know you're a TDS retard.

I asked how DeSantis has been a failure and your mentally retarded ass is, from what I can tell (as your posts are almost unintelligible), railing against Donald Trump.

Try not to be a fucking bed-wetting retard your whole life, loser...

Correct, no one made such a claim. The leftoid derps can only function in one direction: Biden good, DeSantis bad.

In Cali, unions are the biggest reason. Biden is beholden to unions and thus America gets screwed because of the incompetent Biden and Butty. And now that the new CA law regarding truckers is in effect, more DemonRat stuff, the problem will not get better.
Dogberts

I wish the Sissies in Suitcoats would quit tying everything to unions, showing your wimpy jealousy of manly work and your fear that working people will cut into your inflated salaries. Since 1960, the Democrats have been white-collar snobs just like the Herbert Hoover Republicans, so that Camelot dung should never be tied to unions in your blame game.

Last edited:
That you would call anyone a retard is laughable.

I love when the jokes write themselves.

Before you choose to attempt to insult someone's intelligence, be sure that your own profound lack of intelligent has not been put on display.

Dipshit...
retards like you are entertaining we need a laugh every once in a while ... your intellect is so lacking...we enjoy a dumb fuck every time they post ... keep making a fool of yourself we need the laugh i mean really the name canon shooter that name say smart all over it ??? riiiiiiiiiight we get it big gun little dick

retards like you are entertaining we need a laugh every once in a while ... your intellect is so lacking...we enjoy a dumb fuck every time they post ... keep making a fool of yourself we need the laugh i mean really the name canon shooter that name say smart all over it ??? riiiiiiiiiight we get it big gun little dick

You've demonstrated an absolutely lack of ability to remain on topic. When challenged to explain how DeSantis is a failure, you whined about Trump.

You're mentally retarded, and profoundly so.

Hey, look! I found your baby picture!

Down-Syndrome_Waterloo-Regional-Down-Syndrome-Society-WRDSS.jpg

It's also clear you're a homo (aka pillow biter, fudgepacker), as demonstrated by your interest in my genitalia.

A homosexual retard. I don't think I've ever encountered one before , yet, here you are...

did you check the percentage of goods that Florida moves each day ??? It's 2.3 percent to 3. 5 percent of the goods coming into the U.S. ...did ya look at California's percentage of goods coming into the US ??? I don't think you did ... at 2.3 percent if Desnatis could move that he should be fired ... California moved 47% of the goods coming into the u.s. Biden took it from 9 days in the ports to 4 days in the ports ... seems you didn't do you research ... you grabbed the first right-wing nut cases web site and thought you were doing a good thing ... that conciderable way more the florida has ever moved ... do your research befor you come here and look stupid ...
California has location. There has been talk of building another canal in Costa Rica. A push can be made to do this. Southern Ports could be upgraded to bypass California. It's not like the people living and ruling there are responsible for their great intellect on moving cargo. The Southern states would be enriched incredibly. And California which is going green would rid itself of all of that old world products made by excessive carbon credits. A good vision that needs a lot of cooperation.

Forum List

Back