Florida’s ports are booming after DeSantis offers alternative to Biden’s failure to solve West Coast ports backlogs and bottlenecks

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
Biden and that little rat Butty who plays pretend Transportation Secretary are total fails.

Joseph Failure Biden.

DeSantis stepped up where Biden failed​

It was in October 2021 that President Biden and Sec. Buttigieg began to belatedly address the post-pandemic supply chain bottlenecks and massive backlogs at West Coast ports that led to shortages of goods on retail shelves and helped contribute to inflationary pricing.​
However, as Biden and Buttigieg fumbled their response to that serious issue, Gov. DeSantis stepped up to declare for the world to hear that Florida’s 15 ports were not backlogged and were very much open for business to all who would come, and even offered various incentives to encourage corporations to alter their distribution networks to be based out of Florida instead of California.​
In a statement issued at that time, DeSantis said, “As the rest of the nation faces rampant inflation and businesses stare down unprecedented supply chain problems, our message is this: Florida is here, we have capacity, we have incentive packages to help businesses who want to move here and we are going to make sure Americans get their Christmas Gifts this season.”​

Positive growth and future outlook for Florida’s ports​

Fast-forward to the current day and a report released this week from the Florida Ports Council that highlighted how the state’s ports “have well-positioned Florida to answer supply chain demands, and take advantage of a realignment in global trade routes,” even as West Coast ports continue to struggle with backlogs and now face additional issues related to union labor contract negotiations and threatened lockouts, slowdowns, and strikes.​
Michael Rubin, the program administrator of the Florida Seaport Transportation and Economic Development Council, said, “Florida’s seaports are flexing their muscles, and seizing the opportunity to become a global hub by capturing an even larger share of international trade and related commercial activities.”​
The report itself documented the alteration of some global shipping lanes and the emergence of new direct routes from Asia to Florida as well as the growth and return on investment witnessed in all of the state’s 15 major ports.​
It further revealed an incredibly positive outlook for the future in both the short and long-term that stands in stark contrast to the still problematic West Coast ports, particularly in California.​

You guys need to really read the source material. I know it’s hard. But it’s ever so important.

This was the link quoted by the Conservative Propaganda.

It reflected the industry rebounding from the impact of the pandemic, while also outlining $4.5 billion in wish-list proposals to further bulk up ports against rising seas and to take advantage of labor issues at West Coast ports and lingering global supply-chain problems.

So as you read down. First. The bulk of the increase is the cruise ships getting back to normal operation after COVID. Not much of a shift from California.

Ok. Now let’s talk size and capacity. Tampa is Florida’s biggest port. About 5,000 acres of cargo and especially cruise terminal. Mostly cruise. But that includes liquid. Like petroleum products.

Not much of that space is containers.

By comparison. Long Beach and Port Los Angeles are combined more than twice the size of Tampa. And that is all cargo. Almost all of it containers.

All of Florida’s ports put together can’t handle the cargo that LA/Long Beach can.

Take a look at the ship tracker map. You won’t see much container traffic in Florida. Just north of Florida. You’ll see nearly 50 ships waiting to go to Georgia’s port.

Now. California does have some problems. But Florida would need ten years and literally fifty billion dollars to invest in infrastructure to begin to try and handle what California does.

All of Florida’s ports put together can’t handle the cargo that LA/Long Beach can.
When reading that article I never got the impression anyone was making the claim that Florida already had more capacity, in any sense. I assumed they were happy and proud that by offering incentives to countries that are struggling to get cargoes unloaded once they arrive in the U.S., Florida was hoping to build capacity for the future and to do so while this opportunity exists.

I can't say I understand what's going on in Cali. The last I heard it was nearly gridlocked due to the inability to get cargos unloaded and moved off site from the ports. That's a problem with Stevedores AND too few long haul truckers.

Biden and that little rat Butty who plays pretend Transportation Secretary are total fails.

Joseph Failure Biden.

It was in October 2021 that President Biden and Sec. Buttigieg began to belatedly address the post-pandemic supply chain bottlenecks and massive backlogs at West Coast ports that led to shortages of goods on retail shelves and helped contribute to inflationary pricing.​
However, as Biden and Buttigieg fumbled their response to that serious issue, Gov. DeSantis stepped up to declare for the world to hear that Florida’s 15 ports were not backlogged and were very much open for business to all who would come, and even offered various incentives to encourage corporations to alter their distribution networks to be based out of Florida instead of California.​
In a statement issued at that time, DeSantis said, “As the rest of the nation faces rampant inflation and businesses stare down unprecedented supply chain problems, our message is this: Florida is here, we have capacity, we have incentive packages to help businesses who want to move here and we are going to make sure Americans get their Christmas Gifts this season.”​

Fast-forward to the current day and a report released this week from the Florida Ports Council that highlighted how the state’s ports “have well-positioned Florida to answer supply chain demands, and take advantage of a realignment in global trade routes,” even as West Coast ports continue to struggle with backlogs and now face additional issues related to union labor contract negotiations and threatened lockouts, slowdowns, and strikes.​
Michael Rubin, the program administrator of the Florida Seaport Transportation and Economic Development Council, said, “Florida’s seaports are flexing their muscles, and seizing the opportunity to become a global hub by capturing an even larger share of international trade and related commercial activities.”​
The report itself documented the alteration of some global shipping lanes and the emergence of new direct routes from Asia to Florida as well as the growth and return on investment witnessed in all of the state’s 15 major ports.​
It further revealed an incredibly positive outlook for the future in both the short and long-term that stands in stark contrast to the still problematic West Coast ports, particularly in California.​

Biden is not a failure. Desantis is a failure.

You guys need to really read the source material. I know it’s hard. But it’s ever so important.
Therein lies the problem. They only expose themselves to MAGA media, and they don't question it for a moment. The "information" provided to them is 100% pure "truth" in their minds. Critical thinking is discouraged. Curiosity is verboten.

Biden is not a failure. Desantis is a failure.
The report comes as 29 West Coast ports are working without a negotiated labor contract, and many shippers have already changed lanes to reroute to East Coast ports in fears that 2022 labor negotiations could lead to similar strikes, lockouts and slowdowns that occurred in 2002, 2008, 2012 and 2014.

The agreement covers 29 Pacific Coast ports stretching from California to Washington State that 40% of U.S. imports.

-------------------------------------------

Only 40% come from the Western coast
, that mean a lot comes of the eastern coast, which is always had.

So when you are putting down Biden, and approve Desantis you must now where most of the imports are coming from.

You read a lot of conservative news which is bloating up Desantis and Florida. Remember Democrats also live there.

Last edited:
And yet, I can argue conservative issues better than you rubes can. That's because my comments are not saturated with shallow talking points, linear thought processes, intellectual myopia, ignorance and ugly vulgarity.

And I think that's why I exist so far up in your heads. Too bad.

Last edited:
And yet, I can argue conservative talking points better than you rubes can. That's because my comments are not saturated with shallow talking points, linear thought processes, intellectual myopia, ignorance and ugly vulgarity.

And I think that's why I exist so far up in your heads. Too bad.
A Mac post that is NOT a leftist circle jerk???

Call the press.

:laughing0301:

You don't discuss SHIT! You are a walking leftist talking point and you're not even smart enough to realize it.

Why? So you can again ignore the actual discussion and continue your Trump-hating, "Trumpster" hating banter with the other leftists?

Sounds.....exciting.
:rolleyes:
As always. I'll bet I've made that offer 50 times, and you folks always run. 50 or 50.

I appreciate the confirmation of my point. As always.

Joseph Failure Biden.

President Potatohead creates problems. Ron Desantis solves problems.

Therein lies the problem. They only expose themselves to MAGA media, and they don't question it for a moment. The "information" provided to them is 100% pure "truth" in their minds. Critical thinking is discouraged. Curiosity is verboten.
Says the Moon Bat that only listens to CNN and MSNBC.

DeSantis is the best Governor in the nation while Potatohead is the worst President in the history of the Republic.

Forum List

Back