Florida vs. Jardines: US Supreme Court

Oldguy

Sep 25, 2012
Texas
This is an interesting 4th Amendment ruling.

The police brought a drug sniffing dog to Jardine's front porch, where it alerted. They obtained a search warrant and found marijuana plants inside his house. Jardine claimed it was an un-Constitutional search and the evidence obtained should be suppressed. The Florida Supreme Court agreed. The case was taken to the US Supreme Court and the Justice's agreed with the Florida court.

The case turns on the core 4th Amendment principle that “the right of a man to retreat into his own home and there be free from unreasonable governmental intrusion.” (Silverman v. United States, 365 U. S. 505, 511.) Since the front porch is deemed a part of the home for 4th Amendment purposes, legally called "the curtilage," the police should have asked Jardine's for permission to bring the dog onto his porch. They did not, so everything from that point became an illegal search and the evidence must be suppressed.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/12pdf/11-564_5426.pdf

I think this is a good, soundly reasoned opinion which protects our 4th Amendment rights. There is nothing in this ruling which would prevent the police from seeking a warrant based upon something they saw from the street, but they cannot violate a person's home turf to begin an investigation without the homeowners consent. Absent such a ruling, there would be no hinderance to the police routinely running dogs around your house to see if you're up to something or worse. Perhaps they could even peep into your windows and you couldn't stop them.

The more I read opinions from the Roberts court, the more impressed I am. At the time of Robert's appointment as Chief Justice, I thought he'd be just another political hack who would rule based upon political ideology rather than the Constitution and the law.

Happily, I can say I was wrong, very wrong.

Why is this in politics when there's a law and justice forum?

Perhaps you've been hitting the old bong a little yourself.

Because of the last paragraph. The ruling, while important and appropriate to many political discussions, is a vehicle for talking about the Robert's court and the political ramifications of his appointment as Chief Justice.

I really thought the Court would take a wild swing to the Nutter right under this Chief Justice, but it hasn't. In fact, it's shown little sympathy for over-stepping police actions and hasn't been hesitant to protect Constitutional rights from the "law and order at any price" crowd.

In fact, here's another Court ruling from this term which demonstrates the same thing:

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/12pdf/11-770_j4ek.pdf

In this case, police allowed two men to leave the scene of a lawful search in progress, then stopped them a mile away and, based upon some comments and things found in their possession, transported them back to the search and arrested them for what was found.

The Court ruled that they had allowed the defendants to leave and that being present incident to a search does not extend to a point a mile away. Consequently, any evidence found at the scene of the search which was to be used to convict them must be suppressed.

Had they been allowed to claim "incident to a search" that far away, as the Court correctly pointed out, there would be no bar to the police detaining anybody remotely connected to a search at any place and time, for instance 10 miles away while boarding a plane.

I can't help but wonder if the Nutter right is all that happy with their Chief Justice. He doesn't seem to be doing what they expected of him.

Because of the last paragraph. The ruling, while important and appropriate to many political discussions, is a vehicle for talking about the Robert's court and the political ramifications of his appointment as Chief Justice.

I really thought the Court would take a wild swing to the Nutter right under this Chief Justice, but it hasn't. In fact, it's shown little sympathy for over-stepping police actions and hasn't been hesitant to protect Constitutional rights from the "law and order at any price" crowd.

In fact, here's another Court ruling from this term which demonstrates the same thing:

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/12pdf/11-770_j4ek.pdf

In this case, police allowed two men to leave the scene of a lawful search in progress, then stopped them a mile away and, based upon some comments and things found in their possession, transported them back to the search and arrested them for what was found.

The Court ruled that they had allowed the defendants to leave and that being present incident to a search does not extend to a point a mile away. Consequently, any evidence found at the scene of the search which was to be used to convict them must be suppressed.

Had they been allowed to claim "incident to a search" that far away, as the Court correctly pointed out, there would be no bar to the police detaining anybody remotely connected to a search at any place and time, for instance 10 miles away while boarding a plane.

I can't help but wonder if the Nutter right is all that happy with their Chief Justice. He doesn't seem to be doing what they expected of him.

Key words, "court", "justice", "law", "lawful", "evidence", "convict". All indicate law and justice not politics.

Forum List

Back