Florida to teach "Shakespeare excerpts" to avoid crazy state laws

Pupils in a Florida school district will only be reading excerpts of Shakespeare rather than the full plays after new guidelines regarding sexual content in the curriculum were brought in.

Teachers in Hillsborough County have been told parts of the Bard's classics contain sections which are sexual in nature and therefore cannot be taught following the passing of the Parental Rights in Education Act.

I suppose that you could condense any work of art to its bare bones. The Reduced Shakespeare Company did it for years in the UK. But they did it for comic effect and a knowledge of the plays was needed to get the most out of it.

Florida is screwing up its kids at the behest of extreme right wing crazies. Why bother teaching anything at all ?

Michelangelo.
Milton
and now Shakespeare are deemed too much for kids accoerding to moronic Florida republicans.

There isnt much else left to ban. Maybe the kids will end up watching monster trucks and wrestling ?
Mark Twain is not read anymore because of one word. We have gone stupid on both sides. We get what we vote for, which is a lot of stupid.

Cut it because elementary kids are too young to decipher the old English, fine.

Shakespeare was not written in Old English, it was written in Early Modern English.

Last edited:
So you want ALL the books put back, or just Shakespeare?
Shakespeare is the topic for this thread.
I'd add Shogun, King Rat, Lucifer's Hammer, Schindler's List, Dune, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, all the great Philosopher's in high school libraries as well. But thats just me.

Forum List

Back