Florida to teach "Shakespeare excerpts" to avoid crazy state laws

Didn't you study Shakespeare and Chaucer in school?
Not until at least middle school.

I got no issue if they try and have elementary kids read stuff like that. I just imagine it’s above their level at that age.

Not until at least middle school.

I got no issue if they try and have elementary kids read stuff like that. I just imagine it’s above their level at that age.

Who said anything about elementary school students?

Sex, violence, revenge - it’s all there. :)
No honest person would say it’s too violent or too sexy for kids.

What kind of isolated, emotionally stunted kids are we talking about here?

If you’re that paranoid, you might as well homeschool.

No honest person would say it’s too violent or too sexy for kids.
That Shakey play where they gang-rape that chick and cut out her tongue and cut off her hands so she can’t out them?

It’s practically a bedtime story!

:)
What kind of isolated, emotionally stunted kids are we talking about here?
Queasy little simps who might be triggered by all the stabbing & child murder & other fun stuff.

Little fuckin’ pussies...
If you’re that paranoid, you might as well homeschool.
Read the thread - you’re completely lost & possibly trolling.

That Shakey play where they gang-rape that chick and cut out her tongue and cut off her hands so she can’t out them?

It’s practically a bedtime story!

:)

Queasy little simps who might be triggered by all the stabbing & child murder & other fun stuff.

Little fuckin’ pussies...

Read the thread - you’re completely lost & possibly trolling.

Which play was that?

It’s not being censored.

Are you reading none of the numerous replies here that have explained this?

Yeesh.
They cut out excerpts from the curriculum and their reasoning is that it’s too…. I don’t even know….. too PG-13?

Yeah I get they can still read the entire plays on their own. I get it’s just about what’s read aloud in class. But it’s still moronic to do what they’re doing in any shape or form.

Can you, or anyone, explain to me what it is in any Shakespeare play that would inappropriate for kids?

Cutting a single word or a single scene out of a classic, even if “only” what’s read in class, is what stupid, ignorant people do.

Censoring Huck Finn cause of racist language is stupid. Censoring Indian in the Cupboard because of stereotypes is stupid. Little House on the Prairie had characters in black face. Maus had a single tiny panel with naked holocaust victims. Hamlet has someone pouring poison in someone’s ear.

Omit any of this from classroom reading because “the children!” Is a stupid person. Period.

It was a poem, The Rape of Lucrece, and it’s obscure and not taught in school.

You’re really digging deep to find that one.

And, what, Juliet stabbing herself or that guy that hid behind the curtain got a sword through him? (Hey, its been a while)

That’s too violent reading? Really?

They cut out excerpts from the curriculum and their reasoning is that it’s too…. I don’t even know….. too PG-13?

Yeah I get they can still read the entire plays on their own. I get it’s just about what’s read aloud in class. But it’s still moronic to do what they’re doing in any shape or form.

Can you, or anyone, explain to me what it is in any Shakespeare play that would inappropriate for kids?
Content-wise?

Titus, the play I reference above.

Several others.

And nearly all are too complex to be covered w/kids except in the piecemeal form we’re discussing.

Shakey be dense as all fuck.
Cutting a single word or a single scene out of a classic, even if “only” what’s read in class, is what stupid, ignorant people do.
Naw.

And that’s not what they’re doing.
Censoring Huck Finn cause of racist language is stupid.
Debatable, and it’s kind of a shitty book - far from his best.
Censoring Indian in the Cupboard because of stereotypes is stupid. Little House on the Prairie had characters in black face. Maus had a single tiny panel with naked holocaust victims. Hamlet has someone pouring poison in someone’s ear.

Omit any of this from classroom reading because “the children!” Is a stupid person. Period.
Debatable; case by case; available at the liberry.

And, what, Juliet stabbing herself or that guy that hid behind the curtain got a sword through him? (Hey, its been a while)

That’s too violent reading? Really?
See my longer reply above.

And maybe take a night class or two? :)

Everyone was forced to read Shakespeare and no one to this day thinks it was important or relevant unless you want to get a degree in literature.

Everyone was forced to read Shakespeare and no one to this day thinks it was important or relevant unless you want to get a degree in literature.
And...you're wrong. I am sorry if you can't handle anything more than comic books.

Have they gotten rid of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, or Death of a Salesman yet?
The kid's old high school theater department did Cabaret a year back.

And...you're wrong. I am sorry if you can't handle anything more than comic books.

Have they gotten rid of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, or Death of a Salesman yet?
The kid's old high school theater department did Cabaret a year back.

I was reading Poe in 7th grade, Steinbeck in 8th and Nietzsche by 9th grade

Forum List

Back