Florida to teach "Shakespeare excerpts" to avoid crazy state laws

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras

Pupils in a Florida school district will only be reading excerpts of Shakespeare rather than the full plays after new guidelines regarding sexual content in the curriculum were brought in.

Teachers in Hillsborough County have been told parts of the Bard's classics contain sections which are sexual in nature and therefore cannot be taught following the passing of the Parental Rights in Education Act.

I suppose that you could condense any work of art to its bare bones. The Reduced Shakespeare Company did it for years in the UK. But they did it for comic effect and a knowledge of the plays was needed to get the most out of it.

Florida is screwing up its kids at the behest of extreme right wing crazies. Why bother teaching anything at all ?

Michelangelo.
Milton
and now Shakespeare are deemed too much for kids accoerding to moronic Florida republicans.

There isnt much else left to ban. Maybe the kids will end up watching monster trucks and wrestling ?

Pupils in a Florida school district will only be reading excerpts of Shakespeare rather than the full plays after new guidelines regarding sexual content in the curriculum were brought in.

Teachers in Hillsborough County have been told parts of the Bard's classics contain sections which are sexual in nature and therefore cannot be taught following the passing of the Parental Rights in Education Act.

I suppose that you could condense any work of art to its bare bones. The Reduced Shakespeare Company did it for years in the UK. But they did it for comic effect and a knowledge of the plays was needed to get the most out of it.

Florida is screwing up its kids at the behest of extreme right wing crazies. Why bother teaching anything at all ?

Michelangelo.
Milton
and now Shakespeare are deemed too much for kids accoerding to moronic Florida republicans.

There isnt much else left to ban. Maybe the kids will end up watching monster trucks and wrestling ?
The right-wing war on education continues.

At the end of this rather ridiculous article you find that the full plays will be taught at the high school level. The complaint is directed at what level? Kindergarten?

Democrats still trying to positively portray adults having sex with children.

It's okay for New York to use Shakespeare to claim that Richard III was a black woman.

At the same time Florida is introducing a new college entrance exam that emphasizes knowledge of the classics they are banning some of the greatest classics. I sense a contradiction in this.
This is the result of "woke" policies trying to camcel white culture. Desantis must step up to the plate.

Math scores in American schools are so low that some cities like Baltimore don't even keep track. Thanks to decades of federal education kids don't learn much more than putting a condom on a banana. You almost gotta laugh that foreign posters are shocked, shocked I tell you, that kids in rural Florida might not get enough Shakespeare.

Michelangelo.
Milton

I am moving to Pennsylvania in October, but if this country keeps on the same path I might be in England soon or up North in Scotland…

This nonsense is getting weird for me!

I mean Shakespeare is a classic but alas Florida has always had their loons down there!

Michelangelo.
Milton

Sounds like a liberal false flag stunt to embarrass DeSantis...

…or liberal lies/half truths being told to achieve the same end...

I need to read the link.

At the end of this rather ridiculous article you find that the full plays will be taught at the high school level. The complaint is directed at what level? Kindergarten?

Democrats still trying to positively portray adults having sex with children.

It's okay for New York to use Shakespeare to claim that Richard III was a black woman.
Ah thank you.

I knew this was a liberal hit piece on DeSantis, but wasn’t sure where the half-truths lay.

At the same time Florida is introducing a new college entrance exam that emphasizes knowledge of the classics they are banning some of the greatest classics. I sense a contradiction in this.
As ECB posted:

This is the result of "woke" policies trying to camcel white culture. Desantis must step up to the plate.
Per ECB:

Ooops!

:)

I am moving to Pennsylvania in October, but if this country keeps on the same path I might be in England soon or up North in Scotland…

I mean Shakespeare is a classic but alas Florida has always had their loons down there!
Good news for you!

As quoted above:

So high school kids will be on Tik-Tok rather than reading these plays as opposed to younger students watching Paw Patrol rather than reading them.

:)

The classics? Like Mein Kampf and The Turner Diaries?

So dont live in Florida. Plenty of other states and metro areas within red states that are reasonable.

Forum List

Back