Florida Senate Discussing Tax Hike For EV Owners

Not exactly the most unbiased source.

They are doing this all over, in Illinois, they tried to charge them $1000.00 for their plate renewal, but ultimately settled on charging $500.00 for EV's, versus, $151.00 for everyone else.
Virginia does that too....Currently it's a flat $88.22 fee for EV passenger vehicles at tag renewal time..

Electric Vehicles​

An annual highway use fee will be assessed on each electric motor vehicle registered for highway use in Virginia. The fee is included with registration fees and must be paid at the time of original registration and each year at renewal. The annual highway use fee will be updated yearly on July 1.

The highway use fee (HUF) helps make up for the fuel taxes that drivers with fuel-efficient and electric vehicles spend less on, because they’re not using as much fuel. This fee supports the Commonwealth Transportation Fund, which helps maintain our roads, highways, transit and airports.

I don't think it works that way, Sparky. Do you know of a state in this blessed Union that does anything similar as to what you suggest?

Nothing says it can’t be done. Just report your mileage when you register each year.

Makes sense
Drivers should pay for the roads they use

But Florida?
How much road maintenance is there in Florida?

They don’t have to plow snow or salt the roads
The roads don’t go through freeze/ thaw cycles
potholes have nothing to do with cold weather, wear and tear occurs in both hot and cold weather, erosion occurs everywhere due to rain, and wind. yes, even in Florida

How then do the EV drivers pay their share of road maintenance costs?

By paying the same taxes as gas powered drivers pay.

Did you not read a thing I said? I didn't say ev buyers shouldn't pay taxes, I said they shouldn't have to pay extra taxes simply for buying a ev.

By paying the same taxes as gas powered drivers pay.

Did you not read a thing I said? I didn't say ev buyers shouldn't pay taxes, I said they shouldn't have to pay extra taxes simply for buying a ev.
Taxes should be based on use of public property and assets. If the charging stations are put in and maintained by the state then those using them should pay 100% of the cost. Don't you have to put a credit card in the charging station before using it now? It isn't free now, so why not pay your share when you charge up?

Forum List

Back