Florida: positive development in Primary "Frontloading"

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
In 2008, Florida suffered delegate losses in both parties because it "frontloaded" it's primary to January 29, 2008, before the February 5th start date apppointed by both parties. On the Democratic side, all of Florida's delegates were invalidated and on the Republican side, 1/2 of them were.

In 2012, Florida again frontloaded it's primary and again lost 1/2 of it's delegates to the Republican National Convention.

This time, Florida is moving it's primary BACK instead of UP:

The Green Papers What s New

On 19 March 2015, Florida Governor Richard L. "Rick" Scott (Republican) signed HB 7035 / SB 7036. The law moves the state's Democratic and Republican Presidential Primaries from "the first Tuesday that the rules of the major political parties provide for state delegations to be allocated without penalty" to "the third Tuesday in March" -- 15 March 2016.

I consider this a positive development and it also puts Florida right inside one of the traditionally busiest months in Primary electioneering. I have to get to work now, will right now about what I consider the importance of this development later.

LoneLaugher - I thought this would interest you.

Last edited:
In 2008, Florida suffered delegate losses in both parties because it "frontloaded" it's primary to January 29, 2008, before the February 5th start date apppointed by both parties. On the Democratic side, all of Florida's delegates were invalidated and on the Republican side, 1/2 of them were.

This time, Florida is moving it's primary BACK instead of UP:

The Green Papers What s New

On 19 March 2015, Florida Governor Richard L. "Rick" Scott (Republican) signed HB 7035 / SB 7036. The law moves the state's Democratic and Republican Presidential Primaries from "the first Tuesday that the rules of the major political parties provide for state delegations to be allocated without penalty" to "the third Tuesday in March" -- 15 March 2016.

I consider this a positive development and it also puts Florida right inside one of the traditionally busiest months in Primary electioneering. I have to get to work now, will right now about what I consider the importance of this development later.

LoneLaugher - I thought this would interest you.

Thanks!

• Banned
Between appointments, back to the crux of the op:

Since Florida is the 4th, maybe 3rd largest state in the Union, and has as many General Election electors as New York State, it also has a bunch of delegates for both teams (red, blue) and if the results of the Iowa caucues, the New Hampshire (first in the nation) primary and the South Carolina primary all bring split decisions (a different candidate wins each of those three contests), then FL, with a boatload of delegates, could place one candidate in a decidedly advantageous position, especially if it opts for WTA, which is currently not yet decided.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back