Floating Doom Is Upon Us...

NumburrOne

Dec 31, 2013
In our ongoing saga with helium, the price of helium went up 20% overnight.
The heat is on folks...
Your looking at one element which if isn't found could take the world back to the stone ages.

we recover about 7 percent by volume of helium in the natural gas production market...
We are up the proverbial creek without a paddle here...
Find more now or loose, cryogenics and mri industry , this impact could be detrimental to society's outcome...

believe it or not, fracking is our last ditch effort to remove this element from the structure below us... above us is unlimited...
Now you understand why china is going to moon...
To set up extraction facilities in outer space that would remove and break these gases up for transport in large tanks back and forth in space...

Airgas has announced today that it plans to increase prices on helium by 20%, on average, effective immediately or as contracts permit.

Some price increases may differ based on specific market conditions or contractual provisions. The pricing action is in response to rising crude helium prices being charged by the Bureau of Land Management to helium refiners, which in turn have driven up the cost of pure helium from suppliers. Supply chain disruptions remain a challenge to the industry as the global shortage and resulting allocations of helium are nearing the end of their third year.

“The costs of securing helium continue to increase....
Airgas to increase helium prices | News | gasworld

Helium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
The heat is on folks...
Your looking at one element which if isn't found could take the world back to the stone ages.

we recover about 7 percent by volume of helium in the natural gas production market...
Find more now or loose, cryogenics and mri industry , this impact could be detrimental to society's outcome...

believe it or not, fracking is our last ditch effort to remove this element from the structure below us... above us is unlimited...
To set up extraction facilities in outer space that would remove and break these gases up for transport in large tanks back and forth in space...

Airgas has announced today that it plans to increase prices on helium by 20%, on average, effective immediately or as contracts permit.

Some price increases may differ based on specific market conditions or contractual provisions. The pricing action is in response to rising crude helium prices being charged by the Bureau of Land Management to helium refiners, which in turn have driven up the cost of pure helium from suppliers. Supply chain disruptions remain a challenge to the industry as the global shortage and resulting allocations of helium are nearing the end of their third year.

Forget Helium. The next time your HVAC repair guy charges you $100 dollars a pound for R-22 have a look at this >>> What You Should Know about Refrigerants When Purchasing or Repairing a Residential A/C System or Heat Pump | Ozone Layer Protection - Regulatory Programs | US EPA Indeed, we are no longer allowed to make virgin R-22 in the US (We must use recycled R-22), however, in all of their wisdom the EPA allows us to import it from China. In the meantime the price of R-22 has risen from 30 dollars a lb to 100 dollars a lb. Thank the EPA!

Last edited:
The heat is on folks...

Forget Helium. The next time your HVAC repair guy charges you $100 dollars a pound for R-22 have a look at this >>> What You Should Know about Refrigerants When Purchasing or Repairing a Residential A/C System or Heat Pump | Ozone Layer Protection - Regulatory Programs | US EPA Indeed, we are no longer allowed to make virgin R-22 in the US (We must use recycled R-22), however, in all of their wisdom the EPA allows us to import it from China. In the meantime the price of R-22 has risen from 30 dollars a lb to 100 dollars a lb. Thank the EPA!

I trump your r22 with radioactive decay...
:lol:

On Earth it is relatively rare—0.00052% by volume in the atmosphere. Most terrestrial helium present today is created by the natural radioactive decay of heavy radioactive elements (thorium and uranium, although there are other examples), as the alpha particles emitted by such decays consist of helium-4 nuclei...

With all the nuclear buzz and storage buzz, why aren't we using the natural decay process of the bi product or waiste from nuclear energy. Not cost effective?
Neither is storing it in the mountains...

How does helium benefit mankind besides inflating rubber junk and letting you talk like Donald Duck with a whiff of the stuff?

How does helium benefit mankind besides inflating rubber junk and letting you talk like Donald Duck with a whiff of the stuff?

mri's. semi conductors... all that stuff you don't need unless your hurt or injured or need semi conductors or even the full ones... :lol:

With domestic natural gas production skyrocketing, why the sudden shortage in helium?

Sent from my ass using USMessageBoard.com

You don't find much helium while drilling for natural gas. It certainly has happened, but it doesn't happen much.

I can't remember the last time I bought a tank of helium. Now you emotion it I don't believe I ever have bought a tank of helium. Maybe I should buy a tank as a long term investment. Then again.....

Last edited:
also used in this capacity...

Helium is used in cryogenics (its largest single use, absorbing about a quarter of production), particularly in the cooling of superconducting magnets, with the main commercial application being in MRI scanners. Helium's other industrial uses—as a pressurizing and purge gas, as a protective atmosphere for arc welding and in processes such as growing crystals to make silicon wafers—account for half of the gas produced. A well-known but minor use is as a lifting gas in balloons and airships.[2] As with any gas whose density differs from that of air, inhaling a small volume of helium temporarily changes the timbre and quality of the human voice. In scientific research, the behavior of the two fluid phases of helium-4 (helium I and helium II) is important to researchers studying quantum mechanics (in particular the property of superfluidity) and to those looking at the phenomena, such as superconductivity, produced in matter near absolute zero

File:Helium discharge tube.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With domestic natural gas production skyrocketing, why the sudden shortage in helium?

You don't find much helium while drilling for natural gas. It certainly has happened, but it doesn't happen much.

The OP mentions 7% by volume helium to natural gas

Not in any gas well I've ever drilled, completed, produced, or tested. Sure...there might be an occasional one, but on average? Not a chance.

Not in any gas well I've ever drilled, completed, produced, or tested. Sure...there might be an occasional one, but on average? Not a chance.

The figures come from the article...
7 % is feasible depending on mix your pulling out...
If you choose...
I just design/checked the two largest oil rigs in the world...
A gbs and an fsob.. sak 1 and hebron...
sak is ready to float now...
52 wells can be drilled and or captured simultaneously ...

agreed...

If you choose...

Out of curiosity I did some poking around... would this be one of the projects to which you are referring?

http://www.hebronproject.com/media/3908/hda_vol_2.pdf

If you choose...

Out of curiosity I did some poking around... would this be one of the projects to which you are referring?

That's the one...
I was the lead checker for the piping design...
its a done deal....
I was also lead checker on Sakhalin-2 ...
Hebron is under construction now and Sak is finished and waiting to float out....

If you choose...

That's the one...
I was the lead checker for the piping design...
its a done deal....
I was also lead checker on Sakhalin-2 ...
Hebron is under construction now and Sak is finished and waiting to float out....

It just blows my mind that the project requires an over 500 page document like that. I assume they all do. And folks think this shit is a walk in the park.

Forum List

Back