fleas?

I got turned on to a product called CAPSTAR a few years ago. It is a pill, given orally and I was sold on it when I watched dead fleas dropping in mass off of a dog a half hour after administration. I would not have believed it had it not been for the white tile floor!

The box doesn't say it is effective against tics but a vet tech told me it works and I always give my mutts a dose every month and again before a hike and I've not had fleas or tics. (Florida, no less!)

I think it is made By Novartis (sp?) and no prescription is required.

-Joe

well dude, you go ahead and enjoy your mineral salt deodorant and I'll go ahead and use the speedstick equivalent.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

First of all it's not "mineral salt" and secondly, there IS no equivalent. Have you bothered to study it? It is 100% effective on ALL invertebrates. No matter the location, climate, whatever. PLUS, it kills heartworms and also ALL worms a pet might get. Does frontline? NO.

I really don't care what you do with your own animals, but if you really care about them you'll study garbage like frontline and others, and get these toxins out of their lives.

I've been using frontline for the dog's entire 8 year lifespan thus far.

Diatomaceous Earth Crawling Insect Killer acts as an abrasive barrier to crawling ants, cockroaches, earwigs, slugs, among others, and is effective when applied dry to patios, window and door frames, outdoor sills, and any other areas where such pests are found. Not a pesticide, but a mechanical barrier, it can be used indoors as well for control of fleas, carpet beetles and silverfish.

sounds a little too much like asbestos to me. I'm trying to kill fleas and ticks, not give them a jungle gym to play on under my dog's coat. I'm glad it works for you, however. Some people like reusable toilet wipes and cloth tampons. I'm just not one of them.

well dude, you go ahead and enjoy your mineral salt deodorant and I'll go ahead and use the speedstick equivalent.

First of all it's not "mineral salt" and secondly, there IS no equivalent. Have you bothered to study it? It is 100% effective on ALL invertebrates. No matter the location, climate, whatever. PLUS, it kills heartworms and also ALL worms a pet might get. Does frontline? NO.

I really don't care what you do with your own animals, but if you really care about them you'll study garbage like frontline and others, and get these toxins out of their lives.

the only way a substance can "kill" heart worm and their larvae is if it is somehow introduced into the dog's blood stream

I got turned on to a product called CAPSTAR a few years ago. It is a pill, given orally and I was sold on it when I watched dead fleas dropping in mass off of a dog a half hour after administration. I would not have believed it had it not been for the white tile floor!

The box doesn't say it is effective against tics but a vet tech told me it works and I always give my mutts a dose every month and again before a hike and I've not had fleas or tics. (Florida, no less!)

-Joe
Active ingredient. I think I'll pass. I like to keep the pets around as long as possible.
Nitenpyram - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-Joe
Active ingredient. I think I'll pass. I like to keep the pets around as long as possible.
Nitenpyram - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the tip, but your link doesn't make it sound too evil - perhaps some more research... :eusa_think:

-Joe

Frontline and Advantage eventually stop working. My outdoor cat stopped getting fleas after about 8 months on a raw diet (google BRAF for more info on this). I guess it changes their bloodstream to be uninteresting to the fleas. Natural solutions also include diatemaceous (sp?) earth and lavender baths.

Zoom and Skull? DE kills heartworms and worms in animals because they ingest it. Most high-end pet foods add DE to the food, just for this. When animals lick their coat, they ingest the DE. Put it on your dog like you would the old flea powders, put it in his bedding, etc. A 4 pound bag will last you 3-4 years. Yes, years. By the way, I have never met a veterinarian who knows anything about this. They are always stunned when I demonstrate it.

Shogun: I am glad to see you can paste from one of the links I gave you. Here's further information from the other one: DE is microscopic fossilized diatoms. For any creature with an exoskeleton, (insects) it's deadly. It would be like you crawling and walking around on a football field full of razor blades, not a jungle gym.

The DE cuts up the exoskeleton, "bleeds" the insects out. Dehydrates them almost instantly. It works very rapidly.

However, vertebrates such as dogs, cats, humans, and even you Shogun are completely immune to it, it isn't in any way harmful to us. As I said, high-end pet foods have DE in them.

Let's see, frontline costs what, $20 bucks now? For each application? One 4 pound bag of DE lasts years and costs $12-16 bucks depending on how you get it shipped. And works BETTER, isn't toxic, and works on ALL invertebrates not just fleas and ticks. AND kills any and all worms your pet might get. It's a far better product and a far smarter solution to a multitude of pet pest issues.

But that's okay, sheeple like to do what the rest of the herd does. I got no issue with that.

Last edited:
Like i said.. you go ahead and enjoy powdering up your fur biscuit with what amounts to asbestos-like particles. I'll pass. A nation of frontline dogs are not wrong. Even is some hippy rants on about the dangers of deodorant.

My wife and I operated a kennel for 15 years. We used red cedar chips in the dog houses. Never once in that 15 years did we have any flea or tick problems. We used to field trial our beagles too. After taking the dogs in the field a check of them several days later yielded no fleas or ticks. Red cedar chips worked for us in their bedding.

Like i said.. you go ahead and enjoy powdering up your fur biscuit with what amounts to asbestos-like particles. I'll pass. A nation of frontline dogs are not wrong. Even is some hippy rants on about the dangers of deodorant.
A nation of dead and sick dogs from frontline isn't wrong either. Look into its side effects and long-term issues.

what amounts to asbestos-like particles.
Continue to scoff, and outright lie. It's okay with me. Ignorance is truly bliss, that's why you're so happy apparently!

You just go right ahead and blissfully spend your 20 bucks over and over for a product with 30-day efficacy. I'll spend my 15 or so for one that works better, lasts years.

Last edited:
Yea, dude... it's like a fucking pandemic in veterinary offices across the US!

:thup:

Yea, dude... it's like a fucking pandemic in veterinary offices across the US!

:thup:
For whatever reason, probably because the pharm companies and the chemical companies hate it, Vets are never educated on DE. All the ones over the 20 years or so that I have used it, were stunned when I demonstrated it.

yea dude... veterinary schools across the nation don't know what you do. This must reflect how a doctor feels when asked if dried Tiger Wang will cure cancer.

yea dude... veterinary schools across the nation don't know what you do. This must reflect how a doctor feels when asked if dried Tiger Wang will cure cancer.
They really don't. When you discuss DE with a Vet, they get the deer in the headlights, confused look. Then they research, and get a bit upset that more people don't know about it.

Here's frontline's main ingredient, Shogun. A NERVE TOXIN:

Fipronil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Keep putting that nerve gas on them buddy! The REASON they tell you to put it between his shoulders is so he cannot readily ingest it!

so what. coke has an acid base. Your lunch today probabaly had some chems in it too. Hell, have you ever read what shampoo is made with? Like I said, I've been using it for YEARS and we've not seen any kind of pandemic associated with frontline. The last issue pet owners had was killer dogfood.... and we saw how quickly THAT became a headline. I assure you, oh natural one, if dog's start dying because of advantage we'll all know about it. Until then, i'm afraid i'll go ahead and side with those whove attended vet school instead of Ching Tang's Tiger Wang homeopathic school of holistic medicine.

Here's frontline's main ingredient, Shogun. A NERVE TOXIN:

Fipronil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Keep putting that nerve gas on them buddy! The REASON they tell you to put it between his shoulders is so he cannot readily ingest it!

so what. coke has an acid base. Your lunch today probabaly had some chems in it too. Hell, have you ever read what shampoo is made with? Like I said, I've been using it for YEARS and we've not seen any kind of pandemic associated with frontline. The last issue pet owners had was killer dogfood.... and we saw how quickly THAT became a headline. I assure you, oh natural one, if dog's start dying because of advantage we'll all know about it. Until then, i'm afraid i'll go ahead and side with those whove attended vet school instead of Ching Tang's Tiger Wang homeopathic school of holistic medicine.

Keep spending that 20 bucks for your 30-day nerve toxin treatment. Like I said, it's okay with me! It's your money. Responding to you here will be quite educational for other folks reading the thread, which is exactly why I posted the information in the first place.

You came in, cheerleading Frontline. "Greatest product ever." It's not. And those type products are always the knee-jerk, no imagination and uninformed answer to the OPs question. I prefer to offer the readers something other than "yeah me too" drivel.

You don't have to like it. But some folks might want to get out of the 20 bucks for every treatment, ya know?

coke has an acid base.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:The only reason it's acidic is the added CO2! Carbon Dioxide gives it the fizz and the acidity! But it's STILL less acidic than your blood! Study a thing called pH and get back to us, Einstein!:lol::lol::lol:

which doesn't belay the fact of it's presence in a WIDELY consumed beverage, genius... Any more than crying about nerve toxins belays the total lack of dog fallout over the continental US. If you know what the pH scale is and the relative dilution of coke products then perhaps you;ll want to keep from looking like a silly ass the next time the urge hit to scream that the proverbial flea prevention sky is falling.

Forum List

Back