Five Women Sue Texas Over States Abortion Ban

That would include the entire country of Israel. Paid for through the national health care system.

So what? Most Israelis aren't real Jews, they're followers of a cult invented in the 2nd Century by Pharisees and have nothing to do with the Jews of Moses's era, and even if you count them by far the largest Jewish sect is Christians, so you lose either way, dumbass.

Last edited:
I'd be curious what would happen if TX and OK let the people decide......I have a real problem with letting the state legislators decide such a issue.

Do it in a off-year so the crazies (on both sides) can't fuck-up a general election.....I suspect The People would be fine with the practice, with some guardrails of course.
IIRC but when SCOTUS overruled Roe vs Wade a couple of states put it to a vote and immediately got killed, so the4 legislatures quit doing it.

IIRC but when SCOTUS overruled Roe vs Wade a couple of states put it to a vote and immediately got killed, so the4 legislatures quit doing it.
That's why I say do it in a off-year election, too many crazies on both sides of the issue to do it otherwise. Enough time has passed since the ruling for the sane to make a rational decision on the issue.

From The National Council of Jewish Women (N.C.J.W.)

Judaism and Abortion:

Some of the more finer points represented by N.C.J.W.

Read the PDF.

Does Jewish law state that life begins at conception? No, life does not begin at
conception under Jewish law. Sources in the Talmud note that the fetus is “mere water”
before 40 days of gestation. Following this period, the fetus is considered a physical part of
the pregnant individual’s body, not yet having life of its own or independent rights. The fetus
is not viewed as separate from the parent’s body until birth begins and the first breath of
oxygen into the lungs allows the soul to enter the body.

Read the PDF

Does Jewish law assert that it is possible to murder a fetus? No, Jewish law does not consider a fetus to be alive. The Torah, Exodus 21:22-23, recounts a story of two men who are fighting and injure a pregnant woman, resulting in her subsequent miscarriage. The verse explains that if the only harm done is the miscarriage, then the perpetrator must pay a fine. However, if the pregnant person is gravely injured, the penalty shall be a life for a life as in other homicides. The common rabbinical interpretation of this verse is that the men did not commit murder and that the fetus is not a person. The primary concern is the well-being of the person who was injured.

Read the PDF.

According to Jewish law, is abortion health care? Yes, Jewish sources explicitly state that abortion is not only permitted but is required should the pregnancy endanger the life or health of the pregnant individual. Furthermore, “health” is commonly interpreted to encompass psychological health as well as physical health. NCJW advocates for abortion access as an essential component of comprehensive, affordable, confidential, and equitable family planning, reproductive, sexual health, and maternal health services.

Read the PDF.

What does Jewish law say about the rights of the person who is pregnant and the rights of the fetus? Judaism values life and affirms that protecting existing life is paramount at all stages of pregnancy. A fetus is not considered a person under Jewish law and therefore does not have the same rights as one who is already alive. As such, the interests of the pregnant individual always come before that of the fetus.

Read the PDF.

Do abortion bans unduly favor one religious viewpoint over another? Yes, different religions believe that human life begins at different stages of development. Science can explain developmental timelines, but philosophic and religious viewpoints largely determine what exactly defines “life” or “personhood” for each individual. NCJW believes, as the First Amendment to the US Constitution guarantees, that no one religion should be enshrined in law or dictate public policy on any issue — including abortion.

Read the PDF

Under the First Amendment regarding the Establishment of Religion, abortion bans violate the rights of Jewish Women. Under the laws of their faith, abortion is considered medical care. A religious exemption must be considered for Women whose religious beliefs allow for abortion.

It is worth noting that many orthodox Jews, quite devout and strict on the specifics of that faith, are pro-life.

It ultimately doesn’t matter though - we don’t need religion to know the scientific fact that life begins at fertilization, and if your religion says otherwise, your religion is wrong and at odds with reality.

You can have “faith” that reality itself is wrong and just a deity testing you with disinformation or something, I guess, but reasonable people aren’t going to base laws or civilization around that.

If someone claims they are a worshipper of the Aztec pantheon, we aren’t going to just let them kidnap someone and cut off their head on a stone ziggurat then kick their lifeless body down the temple, and say, “First Amendment, lol, what can you do?!”

The women who are bringing the suit contradict stereotypes about who receives abortions and why. Married, and some with children already, the women rejoiced at their pregnancies, only to discover that their fetuses had no chance of survival — two had no skulls, and two others were threatening the lives of their twins.

Though they faced the risk of hemorrhage or life-threatening infection from carrying those fetuses, the women were told they could not have abortions, the suit says. Some doctors refused even to suggest the option, or to forward medical records to another provider.

The women found themselves furtively crossing state borders to seek medical treatment outside Texas, worried that family and neighbors might report them to state authorities. In some cases, the women became so ill that they were hospitalized. One plaintiff, Amanda Zurawski, was told she was not yet sick enough to receive an abortion, then twice became septic, and was left with so much scar tissue that one of her fallopian tubes is permanently closed.

“You don’t think you’re somebody who’s going to need an abortion, let alone an abortion to save my life,” Ms. Zurawski, 35, said. “If anybody reads my story, I don’t care where they are on the political spectrum, very few people would agree there is anything pro-life about this.”

Last years elections cost Republicans big losses. Next year isn't going to be any better for them.
I am assuming the two with no skulls had anencephaly, they can be born and actually survive for awhile.

No skulls? And they want to sue somebody because their drug habit caused a deformity in their unborn child? That's having their cake and eating it too.
Eh, drug habit may have nothing to do with this one, most likely it's called anencephaly our second child a daughter was born this way, but we would not allow her to be aborted, she lived for three hours.

The women who are bringing the suit contradict stereotypes about who receives abortions and why. Married, and some with children already, the women rejoiced at their pregnancies, only to discover that their fetuses had no chance of survival — two had no skulls, and two others were threatening the lives of their twins.

Though they faced the risk of hemorrhage or life-threatening infection from carrying those fetuses, the women were told they could not have abortions, the suit says. Some doctors refused even to suggest the option, or to forward medical records to another provider.

The women found themselves furtively crossing state borders to seek medical treatment outside Texas, worried that family and neighbors might report them to state authorities. In some cases, the women became so ill that they were hospitalized. One plaintiff, Amanda Zurawski, was told she was not yet sick enough to receive an abortion, then twice became septic, and was left with so much scar tissue that one of her fallopian tubes is permanently closed.

“You don’t think you’re somebody who’s going to need an abortion, let alone an abortion to save my life,” Ms. Zurawski, 35, said. “If anybody reads my story, I don’t care where they are on the political spectrum, very few people would agree there is anything pro-life about this.”

Last years elections cost Republicans big losses. Next year isn't going to be any better for them.
Dims love them some murdered babies.....

Not really. Just trash.

And any such lawsuit has no basis in the Texas Constitution and no possible basis in the United States Constitution, so the trash can take itself out.

There is no way forward for this nonsense to proceed.

Ideally, yes, they would be. It shouldn’t be legal in other states and they shouldn’t be allowed to travel and then return without legal consequence - they should at best be fugitives from just law.
Males trying to con-trol women's bodies.....even to the point to keeping them from moving around the country. "Papers please".

It is worth noting that many orthodox Jews, quite devout and strict on the specifics of that faith, are pro-life.

It ultimately doesn’t matter though - we don’t need religion to know the scientific fact that life begins at fertilization, and if your religion says otherwise, your religion is wrong and at odds with reality.

You can have “faith” that reality itself is wrong and just a deity testing you with disinformation or something, I guess, but reasonable people aren’t going to base laws or civilization around that.

If someone claims they are a worshipper of the Aztec pantheon, we aren’t going to just let them kidnap someone and cut off their head on a stone ziggurat then kick their lifeless body down the temple, and say, “First Amendment, lol, what can you do?!”

Jewish Law is clear. There no "Life Begins At Conception", life begins at the first breath. Abortion, under Jewish Law is considered health care. Life of the Mother is more important.

I'd be curious what would happen if TX and OK let the people decide......I have a real problem with letting the state legislators decide such a issue.

Do it in a off-year so the crazies (on both sides) can't fuck-up a general election.....I suspect The People would be fine with the practice, with some guardrails of course.
Why? That is the outcome of a representative democracy as opposed to a democracy.

Forum List

Back