Five Alive: Constitutional Convention being explored by states

Why bother? If you had cancer and the cure was sitting in front of you, would you refuse to take it?

We do have a cure to debt. It's called 'Making the rich pay their fair share".

Works every time it's tried.

What is the rich's fair share?

Whatever it takes to not have a deficit and to pay down the national debt over the next 50 years.

So you don't really know you just think more. You are like the a wife who spends and spends and tells her husband just to go out and earn more money. With the mindset of the liberal left there NEVER will be enough money.

So paying the majority isn't enough. But you are right, to keep on with the wreck less spending of Washington the rich will have to pay more because they are the ones with the money. :

The rich pay majority of U.S. income taxes

Many people think that the rich are able to weasel their way out of taxes, but they actually pay an overwhelming majority of the taxes in the United States.

What's more, their share of the tax burden is increasing.

130311153403-tax-share-chart-1024x576.jpg

So you swallow the Libertarian Koolaid without ever bothering to question the source of the disinformation.

Taxes are the price we pay to live in a civilized society. Oliver Wendell Holmes.

The out of control spending in this nation is driven by warmongering. Slash that spending in half and return to tax rates that existed before redink Reagan started implementing the failed Libertarian fiscal dogma and we will be back to normal again.

And start giving hardworking Americans pay raises again. That will improve the economy and create jobs. Too bad your "job creators" never fulfilled their side of the bargain when you gave them those massive taxcut welfare handouts that they didn't need.

And the far left propaganda continues as they support Obama's illegal wars and the far left spending without restrictions..

Do I need to post this link yet again, for the 10th time, or will you just admit I'm right?
Chidlren and the elderly arent generally wage earners. Your powers of reading suck, along with everything else about you.
Supply side, which you cannot define, works 100% of the time. Worked under Reagan. Worked for Bush in the Clinton Recession.

NO, it really didn't. the 2001 recession was a WORLD WIDE recession caused by an overabundence of inventories in a global economy. Bush's giveaway to the rich really didn't help at all. First, GDP Growth was back before the first of them even hit.

What actually helped was after 9/11, Bush borrowed a bunch of money to pay for war materials.

Even more far left propaganda not based on reality. But what do you expect from the far left drones that supports Obama's illegal wars and unrestricted far left spending..

Why bother? If you had cancer and the cure was sitting in front of you, would you refuse to take it?

Whatever it takes to not have a deficit and to pay down the national debt over the next 50 years.

So you don't really know you just think more. You are like the a wife who spends and spends and tells her husband just to go out and earn more money. With the mindset of the liberal left there NEVER will be enough money.

So paying the majority isn't enough. But you are right, to keep on with the wreck less spending of Washington the rich will have to pay more because they are the ones with the money. :

Many people think that the rich are able to weasel their way out of taxes, but they actually pay an overwhelming majority of the taxes in the United States.

They make most of the income so it's only right that they pay most of the income taxes. What you plutocrat toadies ignore is that working people pay most of the local and state revenue and especially in red states it's getting more regressive every year. You guys never want to go after the people with the most money to spare and instead nickle-and-dime the working class into the poor house in spite of the fact that their income has declined.

First, let me say I never once said that the rich should not pay more or have to pay more to support our failing government. I merely am asking what is a fair share.

The rich I assume spend more into the economy then the poor. In so doing they spend more in local sales taxes. As for local taxes I would assume that wherever they live if the economy is based on real estate taxes then logically the rich pay more. As for local income tax usually it is something like 1 percent of income, again, logically the rich would pay more.

So the question of the rich paying more is that they already do. Now the question moves to how much MORE should they pay and what is their FAIR share. Should there be people in this country that not only do not pay taxes they get other peoples money in the form of the EITC?

It would be different if we had a country that was living within it means and inflation needed more tax income. But our country is more like, the more they get the more they spend. There is no way that ever turns out well.

A Constitutional Convention is a bad idea. Look at the "health care" law democrats created. It's as long as a Stephen King novel and filled with as many plot twists and turns and scary stuff. Frankly the misfits that law schools churn out today can't be trusted to spell their name right much less amend the Constitution.

The rich I assume spend more into the economy then the poor. In so doing they spend more in local sales taxes.

That is a fallacious assumption on your part. Rich people don't eat more food than poor people. They don't wear more clothes or buy more cars. They may pay more for what they buy but they don't "consume" more. In fact given the disparity in numbers between the rich and poor it is the rich who are being subsidized by the poor when it comes to sales taxes. The poor pay a far higher percentage of their income in sales taxes than the rich do. The math doesn't lie. This is why sales taxes are regressive and we need higher tax rates on the rich to redress the imbalance.

So you swallow the Libertarian Koolaid without ever bothering to question the source of the disinformation.

Taxes are the price we pay to live in a civilized society. Oliver Wendell Holmes.

The out of control spending in this nation is driven by warmongering. Slash that spending in half and return to tax rates that existed before redink Reagan started implementing the failed Libertarian fiscal dogma and we will be back to normal again.

And start giving hardworking Americans pay raises again. That will improve the economy and create jobs. Too bad your "job creators" never fulfilled their side of the bargain when you gave them those massive taxcut welfare handouts that they didn't need.

Why when cornered do folks like you appeal to the absurd? No one is saying we don't have to support a government through taxes. I like the roads, I don't like seeing 5 guys standing around watching one guy work on them.

Hey, did you notice that we are not in a war right now and really have not been since the end of the Bush era? So that canard kinda goes out the window so I suggest the war excuse holds no water. It worked when we were at war and the democrats were in power but now that we are not, what is the real excuse?

More then ever people on disability?
Food stamp growth?
No opportunity of real work for those without real skills or education? The military was always a place for kids who didn't know what they wanted or where to go but even that is going away.

How about the federal government reporting that tax revenue has hit an all time high? WTF? No wars and increase in revenue one would think that the democrat controlled congress might have been able to do something with that great scenario and we see what they did and they paid the price in the mid terms.

They make most of the income so it's only right that they pay most of the income taxes. What you plutocrat toadies ignore is that working people pay most of the local and state revenue and especially in red states it's getting more regressive every year. You guys never want to go after the people with the most money to spare and instead nickle-and-dime the working class into the poor house in spite of the fact that their income has declined.

First, let me say I never once said that the rich should not pay more or have to pay more to support our failing government. I merely am asking what is a fair share.

The rich I assume spend more into the economy then the poor. In so doing they spend more in local sales taxes. As for local taxes I would assume that wherever they live if the economy is based on real estate taxes then logically the rich pay more. As for local income tax usually it is something like 1 percent of income, again, logically the rich would pay more.

So the question of the rich paying more is that they already do. Now the question moves to how much MORE should they pay and what is their FAIR share. Should there be people in this country that not only do not pay taxes they get other peoples money in the form of the EITC?

It would be different if we had a country that was living within it means and inflation needed more tax income. But our country is more like, the more they get the more they spend. There is no way that ever turns out well.
We have a country that has subsidized low wages and lack of benefits with social programs for a very long time, there are only two ways out: start paying people more and allow trickle down to actually work as advertized OR raise taxes on the people who have most of the wealth generation locked up. Just pulling the rug out from under the working class is not going result in anything good.

The rich I assume spend more into the economy then the poor. In so doing they spend more in local sales taxes.

That is a fallacious assumption on your part. Rich people don't eat more food than poor people. They don't wear more clothes or buy more cars. They may pay more for what they buy but they don't "consume" more. In fact given the disparity in numbers between the rich and poor it is the rich who are being subsidized by the poor when it comes to sales taxes. The poor pay a far higher percentage of their income in sales taxes than the rich do. The math doesn't lie. This is why sales taxes are regressive and we need higher tax rates on the rich to redress the imbalance.

While your opinion was interesting when first put out by the DNC can you at least provide a bit of fact to support you contention? You see a Lear jet and see a rich man getting away with robbing the poor. I see a host of support persons who are middle class making money from that Lear jet.

One time there was a great idea to increase the luxury taxes on high end boats. You know, make the rich pay. Problem was it almost put the companies that made boats out of business which would hurt the rich at all but not so much for the middle class.

I think if it did happen 1 of 2 things would happen. 1. The feds would either try to stop it or ignore it or call it illegal whatever 2.Some states like Cali,NY,Mass,Illinois etc would want to change 2nd amendment some how with a new amendment against gun rights and that won't fly which is what I hope happens because it will lead to a split or at least a crack in this union...

We have a country that has subsidized low wages and lack of benefits with social programs for a very long time, there are only two ways out: start paying people more and allow trickle down to actually work as advertized OR raise taxes on the people who have most of the wealth generation locked up. Just pulling the rug out from under the working class is not going result in anything good.

Who is "pulling the rug from under the middle class?" And if you name someone please tell me how they did that. I'll tell you how, Clinton and his "free" trade agreements that is how. It was predicted and it has happened. Exactly what was said would happened has happened. There are no longer jobs for those who are not skilled or have an education worth a shit. Who caused that? The government.

I assume you work for a living. I assume you use your money for things you need to live and things you enjoy. I assume you give some money to charity. I also assume you pay taxes, everyone does. Now the question is why do you work, which of those things I assume drives you to work?

If honest you would have to say the first one. So a company works the same way. They wish to maximize profit to ensure their continued operation. Isn't that how you would operate? So the government gives them an option. Send jobs overseas and bring the product back or pay high wages and benefits. Which would you choose, be honest.

While your opinion was interesting when first put out by the DNC can you at least provide a bit of fact to support you contention? You see a Lear jet and see a rich man getting away with robbing the poor. I see a host of support persons who are middle class making money from that Lear jet.

One time there was a great idea to increase the luxury taxes on high end boats. You know, make the rich pay. Problem was it almost put the companies that made boats out of business which would hurt the rich at all but not so much for the middle class.

More Libertarian Utopian Koolaid!

Trickle down has been proven to be an abject failure. The evidence that raising wages for low income workers improves the economy is well documented. Those are the hard facts and there is zero credible evidence that providing taxcuts to the wealthy has ever worked. In fact there is evidence to the contrary.

I don't like seeing 5 guys standing around watching one guy work on them.

:link:

Hey, did you notice that we are not in a war right now and really have not been since the end of the Bush era?

We are still fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq in case you hadn't heard that on FauxNews lately.

Wait, wait, wait, wait, was Obama and the left just bragging of how he ended both wars? Was that total BS? To believe you and him that would mean he ended both as democrats do most things, screwed up.

Never the less, you said wars, are we at war or just fighting in those countries? Better check with the DNC and get back to me.

We really can't be fighting because if we were the MSM would be posting pictures of flag draped coffins they thought so important during Bush.

"State-led push to force constitutional convention gains steam with high-profile Republican support Fox News"

There will be no 'constitutional convention,' the notion is idiocy.

This is just more entertainment for conservatives from Fox.

Left wing arguments in a nut shell:

Use the following words and phrase no matter how approbriate:
Reaganomics, or better Voo Doo economics

Bush created recession

The rich do not pay their fair share (NEVER say what that fair share is)

The wars are the cause of the deficit spending. (don't mention Obama's end of the war victory laps)

Free trade agreements that the Republicans supported. (never mention it was really Clinton who signed them)

There was a budget surplus during Clinton. (never mention there really wasn't and if their was it was a Republican Congress)

Obama inherited the HUGEST BIGGEST WORESE BUTT ugliest recession in the history of mankind. (DO not mention that he made it worse. Do not mention that the history of the US shows the bigger the recession the bigger and faster the recovery, death to those who mention those facts.)

Last edited:
perfect example of the mentality I'm talking about. Will you liberal please pull your heads out of your asses. Stop pinning your hopes on wealth redistribution there's not enough wealth to redistribute to solve the problem, for fucks sake. You have to generate 'new' wealth and a LOT of it. Meanwhile most liberal idiots are busy passing laws and regulations that only make it more difficult to generate jobs and new wealth. Talk about a death spiral, you bunch of dumb asses have the nation on a path to tail spin into the ground with your policies, regulations, and non-stop tax and borrow and spend BS.

Why didn't you answer my question?

Here it is again.

How many Americans do you really think are " [sitting] around on their fat asses sucking on government hand outs."

Put a number to it. And don't include children or the elderly. How many Americans do you think are out there, who are able bodied and could work who are just collecting food stamps and Obama-phones.

Actually, there's plenty of wealth to redistribute. the GDP of this country is 18 Trillion. Dividing that by 300 million Americans would allot $60,000 to every man woman and child in the country. A family of four would make $240,000 if they got their equal share of that.

No one is proposing that, of course. That would be silly.

But it's equally silly to think that 1% of the population having 43% of that 18 trillion is fine and dandy as well. They certainly didn't do the physical labor to create said wealth. someone else did.

Wow (face palm) did you fail simple math in school? I appreciate you want to talk numbers, its probably just a dumb ass liberal deflection but then you go on to prove to me you have no math skills so how would we have this numbers discussion exactly? For example you failed to first subtract the enormous cut the government takes out of that $18 trillion GDP didn't you. You failed to subtract the hefty percent of GPD that is re-invested in growing the business e.g. generating new jobs. You failed to subtract the percent of GDP that is already allocated to providing employees with a benefits package. In summary you failed. Its dumb asses like you voting who are part of the problem in this country.

The rich pay over 100% of income taxes. "Their fair share" would mean reducing their tax burden. And you are right: That does work every time.
The poeple getting away with murder are the bottom 47% of wage earners who get more back than they pay in.

Over 100%? You know that's stupid, don't you?

Oh I missed the link thingy:

061709_0127_4guysholdin21.jpg

A Constitutional Convention is a bad idea. Look at the "health care" law democrats created. It's as long as a Stephen King novel and filled with as many plot twists and turns and scary stuff. Frankly the misfits that law schools churn out today can't be trusted to spell their name right much less amend the Constitution.

You are diminishing Obamacare. It is longer then 10 of King's novels.

I'd sure love to see a BBA, but it would force the liars in DC to directly justify their taxing & spending initiatives on both sides.

Imagine for a moment how much political influence would be lost.

Probably wishful thinking, I'm afraid.

Might be wishful thinking, but, the seeds are being sewn. When the states speak, Washington will be forced to listen. Just watch and see what happens.

You're incredibly naive.

The right always thinks bigger government is the answer.
That's why the Right engineered Dodd-Frank,Obamacare, and other huge programs? Dummy.
The right squandered a budget surplus, started two failed, illegal wars, and expanded the size and authority of the Federal government creating a massive deficit – all to the tune of billions of wasted dollars.

The last thing we need is conservative 'fiscal responsibility.'
There was no budget surplus, no matter how many times you claim there was.
The economy fell into recession, lowering tax revenues and increasing expenses, thanks to Clinton's policiies.
Ther were no illegal wars
There was some expansion of government, true. But when Dems got in power they made it worse, reauthorizing all the programs the GOP put in.
But none of that is responsive to the claim that the right always thinks big government is the answer, when I showed it is the left/fascists that believe in big government.

The problem with your graph is that the to 10% control 80% of the wealth, so them paying 70% of the income tax is not them paying their fair share.
You also neglect that the bottom 90% get socked hard by Social Security, State Income and Medicare Taxes, along with sales taxes and property taxes.
^^
Confused between "wealth" and "income"

Forum List

Back