First Rifle

Hell if you want power, the guy down the street has a fully functional .50 cal machine gun. It comes with 500 rounds of belted ammo for 12 grand.

Ruger 10/22

They are inexpensive but quality constructed, if you ever have a problem with it, Ruger will repair it for nothing.

They are fun to shoot.

22 ammo is cheap.

Lots and Lots of aftermarket accessories.

It will take a 25 round magazine.

I have one and I guarantee, I shoot it more than any other firearm I own.

Here's mine.

Picture004.jpg

Hell if you want power, the guy down the street has a fully functional .50 cal machine gun. It comes with 500 rounds of belted ammo for 12 grand.

How about one of these:

The .950 JDJ cartridge drives its aforementioned 3,600 gr bullet at approximately 2,200 ft/s.

This yields a muzzle energy of 38,685 ft·lbf.

For comparison, the 5.56x45 cartridge, used in the M16 rifle, produces approximately 1,200–1,300 ft·lbf.

The .308 Winchester, a favorite for hunters and medium-range police/military sniping, produces between 2,000–3,000 ft·lbf depending on the load used.

In a 110 lb rifle, this will develop well over 200 ft·lbf of free recoil energy if an efficient muzzle brake is not used.

This is far beyond the shoulder-firing capacity of nearly all humans, even without considering the difficulty of shouldering such a heavy rifle.

95Caliber2.jpg

95Caliber1.jpg

95Caliber3.jpg

Overall, depending on options, the rifles weigh between 80 and 110 pounds and are therefore only useful for shooting from a bench rest or heavy bipod.

The rifles cost $8,000, loaded cartridges are $40 each.

The McBros .95 caliber rifle

I agree with almost everyone including Huggy who I seldom agree with. A 22 is perfect and don't start with a semi-automatic. A single shot or bolt action will teach you more. My first was a very very old Remington Wingmaster pump, it has a long barrel and is very accurate.

good luck, do a lot of practicing until you are comfortable. I bought a 7mm magnum once and after firing 20 rounds I want to sell it. It was beating me to a pulp. I put a muzzle brake on it and now I love it.

I'd run with at .22. It won't overwhelm. It hugs. And most importantly it will give you an excellent jumping off point for lessons in how to handle a weapon without seemingly overreaching but still with the full effect of having a long gun.

Start out with a .22 cal.

The ammo is cheap.

Great gun for shooting varmits.

And plinking cans can be alot of fun. :cool:

That was my first and last one. Shooting cans was so fun. I like a quote about guns..lol

"It's been said that guns have two enemies — rust and politicians. Rust never sleeps, and neither do those who would seek to restrict our constitutional rights."

I agree with almost everyone including Huggy who I seldom agree with. A 22 is perfect and don't start with a semi-automatic. A single shot or bolt action will teach you more. My first was a very very old Remington Wingmaster pump, it has a long barrel and is very accurate.

good luck, do a lot of practicing until you are comfortable. I bought a 7mm magnum once and after firing 20 rounds I want to sell it. It was beating me to a pulp. I put a muzzle brake on it and now I love it.

I understand the logic behind recommending a single shot or bolt action...but from a financial standpoint, I feel the semi-auto will be a better long term investment.

22 Single shot bolt,by the time you go through your 1st brick you should be an ok shot,then by a semi they are fun also. after that so many different calibers and styles its like a candy store.

I have am pretty proficient with handguns, and I have some experience with a shotgun.

However, I have no experience with a rifle. I don't think I even ever shot one.

What would you guys suggest for a rifle type gun? I don't hunt.

My use would be for fun.

22's are ok but step yourself up to a .223 It makes a big difference. It all depends where you will be shooting and what kind of shooting you will do. Want to have a lot of fun go for a Mini 14 or an AR-15.

Forum List

Back