1968-69 Mossberg 800A .308 Rifle

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I found this one today. It's in nice shape. Hell, I had forgot Mossberg even made a centerfire hunting rifle.

It's nothing fancy but from what I have read of the little info available they were well regarded for their accuracy given their under $100.00 price tag at the time......That's $882.00 in today's Biden bucks.

It used Mossberg's version of Marlin's Micro-Groove barrel. It has a 22" barrel.....I gave $250.00 for it.

800 003 (2).JPG

This one has a like vintage 4 X 32 Bushnell Banner scope mounted on it. They came as a rifle/scope combo but I don't know if this is one or not.....I liked it because it's a true short action and the trigger was decent at 3.75#, just about right for a deer hunting rifle. The stock is walnut with pressed checkering, typical of the budget guns of the era.

More info:

I found this one today. It's in nice shape. Hell, I had forgot Mossberg even made a centerfire hunting rifle.

It's nothing fancy but from what I have read of the little info available they were well regarded for their accuracy given their under $100.00 price tag at the time......That's $882.00 in today's Biden bucks.

It used Mossberg's version of Marlin's Micro-Groove barrel. It has a 22" barrel.....I gave $250.00 for it.

View attachment 885722

This one has a like vintage 4 X 32 Bushnell Banner scope mounted on it. They came as a rifle/scope combo but I don't know if this is one or not.....I liked it because it's a true short action and the trigger was decent at 3.75#, just about right for a deer hunting rifle. The stock is walnut with pressed checkering, typical of the budget guns of the era.

More info:

Even "budget" guns were so much better before manufacturers turned to shitty plastic materials. I was shocked recently when I looked at a new Savage rifle and the freaking trigger was plastic! How much are they saving by using a plastic trigger instead of steel? Ten cents?

.308 is just about the most versatile thing out there. Very efficient. That's what you want around.

About one a week on average.

Over on the vette board (in the hidden, off-topic section) a lot of folks post up some really nice stuff, both modern and vintage.

Some of the prettiest wood I've ever seen.

Every time I see em posted up, I think about you for some reason.

Even "budget" guns were so much better before manufacturers turned to shitty plastic materials. I was shocked recently when I looked at a new Savage rifle and the freaking trigger was plastic! How much are they saving by using a plastic trigger instead of steel? Ten cents?
Savage rifles are supported by a pretty healthy aftermarket......I was looking at a Savage Axis in .308 the other day, damn what a cheap feeling rifle.....Folks swear by them though.

Sorta like the aftermarket for 10-22s......I know people that have dropped 1K+ into a 10-22.

I prefer old mausers in 7x57
It's a great cartridge but most folks want something they can go into most any gun shop to find....Unless "panic" is on of course....Can't do that with 7X57.

A couple years back I picked up a post-WW 1 '98 Mauser jagdgewehr (hunting rifle) made by Otto Bock. It's in 7X57 mm Mauser.

o-014-2-jpg.602407

It was fitted with a Oigee, Berlin Luxor 3X scope in claw mounts. There is a military marking on the scope (Gew. Nr. 177h) so I suspect it's just a repurposed WW-1 era sniper scope.

I really need to find me a replacement and sell the scope, it's a easy $800+ sniper scope as the optics are still good.

To be honest the stock style is better suited to it's 3-leaf iron sights anyway.

It's a great cartridge but most folks want something they can go into most any gun shop to find....Unless "panic" is on of course....Can't do that with 7X57.

A couple years back I picked up a post-WW 1 '98 Mauser jagdgewehr (hunting rifle) made by Otto Bock. It's in 7X57 mm Mauser.

o-014-2-jpg.602407

It was fitted with a Oigee, Berlin Luxor 3X scope in claw mounts. There is a military marking on the scope (Gew. Nr. 177h) so I suspect it's just a repurposed WW-1 era sniper scope.

I really need to find me a replacement and sell the scope, it's a easy $800+ sniper scope as the optics are still good.

To be honest the stock style is better suited to it's 3-leaf iron sights anyway.
Mine is an ‘08 Brazilian

Previously I owned a model 95 chillian

And later a ruger m77

All 7x57

Savage rifles are supported by a pretty healthy aftermarket......I was looking at a Savage Axis in .308 the other day, damn what a cheap feeling rifle.....Folks swear by them though.

Sorta like the aftermarket for 10-22s......I know people that have dropped 1K+ into a 10-22.
Yeah, that's pretty easy to do if you are going for maximum long range accuracy. Including glass my long range 10-22 is sitting at about 1400 bucks.

But, I can hit targets at 500 yards, which is very gratifying! There are 4 of us that do it out here, but across the country there are several who shoot them long as well.

Mine is an ‘08 Brazilian

Previously I owned a model 95 chillian

And later a ruger m77

All 7x57
D.W. Bell hunted everything in Africa with a Rigby chambered in 7x57. He killed over 1000 elephant with it.

D.W. Bell hunted everything in Africa with a Rigby chambered in 7x57. He killed over 1000 elephant with it.
Yes I know

The Boers used the 7x57 fighting the British and it proved superior to the .303

Forum List

Back