Zone1 First Millennial Saint

Do Catholics ever declare living beings to be saints?
Of course. There are saints which includes all baptized members living in the Body of Christ. The Catholic Church also has what could be analogous to the Sports Hall of Fame. Those are the Saints, who undergo rigorous investigation before their lives and the way they lived become noted examples of living a saintly life.

No and that's exactly my point.
I disagree with Meriweather. Logically, one can't become a saint until after their death. What's your point? Do you think one can become a saint before death? How would that work? What's YOUR definition of a saint?

I disagree with Meriweather. Logically, one can't become a saint until after their death. What's your point? Do you think one can become a saint before death? How would that work? What's YOUR definition of a saint?
While we agree that one does not become a Saint (note capital-S) until well after death, in the lower case-s (saint), I was referencing the Catechism of the Catholic Church in its definition of the lower-case saint:

946 After confessing "the holy catholic Church," the Apostles' Creed adds "the communion of saints." In a certain sense this article is a further explanation of the preceding: "What is the Church if not the assembly of all the saints?"479 The communion of saints is the Church.

Do Catholics ever declare living beings to be saints?

As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we consider all who join our church to be saints.
All who have the Holy Spirit are saints.
When will your cult, the JW cult and the Catholic cult understand that basic Christian principle

While we agree that one does not become a Saint (note capital-S) until well after death, in the lower case-s (saint), I was referencing the Catechism of the Catholic Church in its definition of the lower-case saint:

946 After confessing "the holy catholic Church," the Apostles' Creed adds "the communion of saints." In a certain sense this article is a further explanation of the preceding: "What is the Church if not the assembly of all the saints?"479 The communion of saints is the Church.
That's fair enough. The Church is a communion of saints. But that's probably not what the OP was getting at. I think it's important to note that if there are saints we don't know about - which is the Church's belief that there most likely are - then I'm not certain a saint isn't a saint before the Church recognizes them as a saint. If you can follow that.

That's fair enough. The Church is a communion of saints. But that's probably not what the OP was getting at. I think it's important to note that if there are saints we don't know about - which is the Church's belief that there most likely are - then I'm not certain a saint isn't a saint before the Church recognizes them as a saint. If you can follow that.
I think I do...but I think you may be referring to Saint with the capital-S. I don't know the Church thinks of it this way, but as a student I thought of it then as a title the Church gave a truly holy person after his/her death and a thorough investigation (including miracles attributed to him/her). The rest of us students were "mere" saints. The lower-case saint (etymology 'holy') was used in early Christianity for a baptized, practicing christian, a member of the Body of Christ.

All who have the Holy Spirit are saints.
When will your cult, the JW cult and the Catholic cult understand that basic Christian principle
In The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints all who join the church are saints. When a person joins the church, they receive baptism by one who holds the authority to baptize. Upon receiving baptism, one then is eligible to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands of one who also has the priesthood authority to pass on this gift. Thus each saint has the gift of the Holy Ghost. A person who is not in the church can at times receive the Holy Ghost as a guide in their life, but one who has the gift of the Holy Ghost can have the Holy Ghost as a constant companion in life. So yes, we agree that having the Holy Spirit as a constant companion can be had by the saints, and I have not denied this. You may think that my church is a cult, but we believe that the priesthood of God was lost through apostasy and needed to be restored through the Prophet Joseph Smith. The priesthood needed to be restored and is only had by members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. So, only members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have the gift of the Holy Ghost through the true authority of the priesthood that was restored. So I do believe that we understand the basic principle even more than you do that saints have the gift of the Holy Ghost. One must be a member of my church in order to receive that precious gift .

I'm not Catholic but I find this to be really interesting. Too bad that the kid couldn't be alive to see it happen though.

I love saints. Mostly because it's such nonsense that it makes me laugh.

Carlo Acutis, in order to be made a saint, had to have been shown to do a miracle or two.

"The miracle Pope Francis recognized May 23 that paves the way for the blessed’s canonization involved a young woman who was born in Costa Rica in 2001 and moved to Florence in 2018 to study."

The first one:

"The woman fell from her bicycle at 4 a.m. July 2, 2022, and suffered a serious head injury, according to the dicastery website. Even after emergency surgery removing part of her skull to reduce severe intracranial pressure, doctors warned her family she could die at any moment."

"An associate of the young woman’s mother began praying to Blessed Acutis the same day, and the mother went to Assisi and prayed at the blessed’s tomb July 8 -- the same day the young woman began to breathe on her own again. She slowly recovered basic mobility and a CT scan showed the hemorrhage was gone. After a period of rehabilitation therapy and a complete recovery, she and her mother visited his tomb Sept. 2."

So, doctors said she "could" die at any moment. Didn't say should would, she got better. I mean, people get better ALL THE TIME without people praying to them.

One person claimed to have prayed to "Blessed Acutis" and that's that. That's enough for Sainthood?

When I get a cold next, I'm going to pray to myself. And then I'm going to get someone to say I could die. Then when I don't, BAM, I'm going to be a saint.

Imagine if this woman had prayed to HITLER and the other woman had got better. Then WHAT?

I think I do...but I think you may be referring to Saint with the capital-S. I don't know the Church thinks of it this way, but as a student I thought of it then as a title the Church gave a truly holy person after his/her death and a thorough investigation (including miracles attributed to him/her). The rest of us students were "mere" saints. The lower-case saint (etymology 'holy') was used in early Christianity for a baptized, practicing christian, a member of the Body of Christ.
Yes, I am referring to Saint with the capital-S. I'm not sure the Church does think of it that way. But logic does and God is logic... among other "things."

Forum List

Back