Female Orgasms: What's Love Got To Do With It? Nothing.

Rikurzhen

Gold Member
Jul 24, 2014
Psychology Today has a very extensive article which pulls together a lot of research on female orgasms. They update this article regularly as the literature on the topic develops.There's no way I can summarize the entire article, so if you're very interested in the topic you'll be rewarded by reading the entire article on their website.

What I want to do is highlight what I believe are common misunderstandings of what's really going on and so I'm going to copy and paste some sections of article.

Clues for a reasonable adaptation hypothesis were readily available by the late 1960s, when The British Medical Journal published an exchange of letters about the muscular contractions and uterine suction associated with women's orgasm. In one letter, a doctor reported that a patient's uterine and vaginal contractions during sex with a sailor had pulled off his condom. Upon inspection, the condom was found in her cervical canal! The doctor concluded that female orgasms pull sperm closer to the egg as well.

Yet, it was only three years ago that two British biologists, Robin Baker and Mark Bellis, tested the so-called upsuck hypothesis. They were building upon ideas articulated by evolutionary biologist Robert Smith, who suggested that since women don't have orgasms every time out, female orgasm favors some sperm over others. Baker and Bellis sought to learn just how female orgasms might affect which of a lover's sperm is used to fertilize a woman's eggs.

They asked volunteers to keep track of the timing of their orgasms during sex, and, after copulation, to collect male ejaculates from vaginal flowback--a technical term denoting a distinct form of material that emerges from the vagina several hours after sex (scientists have devised a way to collect it). The team counted sperm from over 300 instances of human copulation.

They discovered that when a woman climaxes any time between a minute before to 45 minutes after her lover ejaculates, she retains significantly more sperm than she does after nonorgasmic sex. When her orgasm precedes her male's by more than a minute, or when she does not have an orgasm, little sperm is retained. Just as the doctors' letters suggested decades earlier, the team's results indicated that muscular contractions associated with orgasm pull sperm from the vagina to the cervix, where it's in better position to reach an egg.

Baker and Bellis proposed that by manipulating the occurrence and timing of orgasm--via subconscious processes--women influence the probability of conception. So while a man worries about a woman's satisfaction with him as a lover out of fear she will stray, orgasmic females may be up to something far more clever--deciding which partner will sire her children.
It's remarkable that the research subjects were committed enough to the experiment to be such meticulous recordkeepers. Here's a bit more:

It's important to note what did not correlate with female orgasm during sex. Degree of women s romantic attachment did not increase the frequency of orgasm! Nor did the sexual experience of either partner. Conventional wisdom holds that birth control and protection from disease up orgasm rates, since they allow women to feel more relaxed during intercourse. But no relationship emerged between female orgasm and the use of contraception.

Nor can the study results be explained by the possibility that the symmetrical males were dating especially uninhibited and orgasmic women. Their partners did not have more orgasms during foreplay or in other sexual activities. Male symmetry correlated with a high frequency of female orgasm only during copulation.

The findings support evolutionary psychologists' "good genes" hypothesis: Women have orgasm more often with their most symmetrical lovers, increasing the likelihood of conceiving these men's children.
Another interesting finding:

Here's the cruelest part of Thornhill and Gangestad's findings: The males who most inspire high-sperm-retention orgasmic responses from their sexual partners don't invest more in their relationships than do other men. Studies show that symmetrical men have the shortest courtships before having sexual intercourse with the women they date. They invest the least money and time in them. And they cheat on their mates more often than guys with less well-balanced bodies. So much for the beleaguered bonding hypothesis, which wants us to believe that women with investing, caring mates will have the most orgasms.

The women who took part in the study were no saints, either. They sometimes faked orgasm. Their fakery was not related to male symmetry. Faking, however, was more common among women who reported flirting with other men. Clearly earlier theories were not too far off the mark when they proposed that a man looks for cues of sexual satisfaction from his mate for reassurance about her fidelity. Faking orgasms might be the easiest way for the woman with many lovers to avoid the suspicions of her main partner.

Baker and Bellis found that when women do engage in infidelity, they retain less sperm from their main partners (their husbands, in many cases), and more often experience copulatory orgasms during their trysts, retaining semen from their secret lovers. Taken together, these findings suggest that female orgasm is less about bonding with nice guys than about careful, subconscious evaluation of their lovers' genetic endowment.​

Sooo... Basically, women like douchebags, who also just so happen to be physically attractive.

Gheez, man. Why don't you tell us something we don't know already? :D

Interestingly, I have seen some studies which suggest that they are more likely to orgasm with wealthy partners as well.

The gist of it seems to be that women are subconsciously more likely to climax, and therefore conceive, with males they perceive as being "superior" in some fashion; either on the basis of status, or raw genetics.

Last edited:
Sooo... Basically, women like douchebags, who also happen to be physically attractive.

Gheez, man. Why don't you tell us something we don't know already? :D

Interestingly, I have seen some studies which suggest that they are more likely to orgasm with wealthy partners as well.

The basic gist of it seems to be that women more are subconsciously more likely to climax, and therefore conceive, with males they perceive as being "superior" in some fashion; either on the basis of status, or raw genetics.

This is why I repeatedly say "Never listen to what women are telling you, watch what they're doing." Women don't understand themselves because their behavior evolved along a different path than men's.

Having a decent body, not being a clown, and being a giver always seemed to work for me.

The men in my life have always been happy with blow jobs. Any one else out there find the same?

Having a decent body, not being a clown, and being a giver always seemed to work for me.

So was this your opening line - "Wassup? How would you like to have a "high-sperm-retention orgasmic response," beautiful?" Did you wear a gold-chain too?

So was this your opening line - "Wassup? How would you like to have a "high-sperm-retention orgasmic response," beautiful?" Did you wear a gold-chain too?

Hardly.

Not being a creeper, having a sense of humor, and being able to hold an intelligent conversation was key for me. Play to your strengths.

Okay. Sooo... Basically, your advice for all the guys out there who can't get any action is "be hot and good with women."

Cool_story_bro_1359.jpeg

Hardly.

Not being a creeper, having a sense of humor, and being able to hold an intelligent conversation was key for me. Play to your strengths.

It's interesting to see that, as a man, you've internalized the female-invented "creeper" schema. You're the first dude I've seen do that. Are you a male feminist, by chance?

Okay. Sooo... Basically, your advice for all the guys out there who can't get any action is "be hot and good with women."

cool-story-bro-500x499.jpg

No, my advice is don't be a twat, have a sense of humor, and be a genuine person. If you're not getting anything any on a consistent basis then it isn't the fault of everyone is else. It's your own.

No, my advice is don't be a twat, have a sense of humor, and be a genuine person. If you're not getting anything any on a consistent basis then it isn't the fault of everyone is else. It's your own.

The simple fact of the matter is that women are freaking picky, dude. Just because you're apparently good looking and naturally extroverted enough to score on a regular basis without even really trying, doesn't mean that you need to talk down to everyone else who isn't.

It just makes you come off like a conceited dick head.

At the end of the night, 95% of the guys in the bar are going home alone. That is the case regardless of their "sense of humor" or ability to be a "genuine person."

The simple fact of the matter is that women are freaking picky, dude. Just because you're apparently good looking and naturally extroverted enough to score on a regular basis without even really trying, doesn't mean that you need to talk down to everyone else who isn't.

It just makes you come off like a patronizing dick head.

At the end of the night, 95% of the guys in the bar are going home alone. That is the case regardless of their "sense of humor" or ability to be a "genuine person."

I am not saying that is all one needs, it takes a lot more then that. We are all picky and we can't help what we find attractive.

Most people are going home alone at night after the bar. Then again I am not going to the bar to find to a person to bed. I am older, married, and well removed from my college years.

I am not saying that is all one needs, it takes a lot more then that. We are all picky and we can't help what we find attractive.

Most people are going home alone at night after the bar. Then again I am not going to the bar to find to a person to bed. I am older, married, and well removed from my college years.

To be fair, if a woman's going home alone, it's generally by choice.
lol.gif

To be fair, if a woman's going home alone, it's generally by choice.
lol.gif

I should hope so.
lol.gif

Please don't think I am some arrogant stomp around by the way. I was a very heavy until my junior year at university. I was a doughy 305 at my heaviest. I didn't lose my weight to get laid, I lost it to feel better about myself...the getting laid more part was just a bonus.

The men in my life have always been happy with blow jobs. Any one else out there find the same?

I read a report once that said that men don't actually enjoy blow jobs as much as women think they do.

On behalf of the men in your life let me give you some advice - keep practicing and developing your talents. I'm sure that they (he) will volunteer to be the test subject.

Forum List

Back