Fed unexpectedly tapers

The spread on taper was 50-50. So unexpectedly doesn't quite capture it. At the same time, I didn't see it coming and was in the not going to happen crowd. Really, though, it's a mini-taper at best. They are testing the waters in this grand economic experiment of fucking with the people's wealth.

Hopefully it goes well. As for meeting the criteria for tapering, that's, of course, also not true. But, this is a SHallow thread. So many half truths, lies and cheerleading are expected.

Ah so you saw the news conference with Bernanke, right?

Which part was the most interesting.

Answer quick..or else I'll think you are scrambling to see the replay.

:lol:

I'm at work, numbskull. I read about it as it occurred and took away the items of importance. Like tapering, how, how much, etc....

I don't really give a fuck what your dumb ass thinks, Shallow. It's like looking to a donkey for approval.

I'm at work too.

Except..I work for the financial industry and we had cnbc up.

So..aren't you in the same line of work?

I mean you seem to think you are an expert..right?

:lol:

It looks like the constantly confused FOMC decided to cut back on the monthly purchases of MBS and TSY. I seriously doubt such a miniscule change in the purchases will have much of an effect. This will create about a month's worth of grossly ignorant and misinformed comments about QE. The WAPO, true to form, refers to it as a stimulus. Sigh.

Last edited:
it wont have much effect. But that remains to be seen. they are clearly testing the water of turning off the faucet. It is a stimulus. A monetary stimulus. See, unlike MMT chartilists, it is believed (through ecomomic law) the federal reserve buying assets with money it creates out of nothing and using accounting tricks still adds to the monetary base.

Did anyone listen the Fed statement? I don't know why it still shocks when I hear such unmitigated lies from people in positions of immense power, and yet it still does. The fucking bold-faced lies on the UE number and inflation were a slap in the face to anyone unwilling to swallow the bullshit we are constantly fed. Really disgusting.

You make it sound like this is something new. The UE and inflation indeces #s have been distorted and statistically skewed for decades now. it's just gotten really difficult to hide it in recent years and now its common knowledge.

I know it's not new, but it's gotten to the point of lunacy. But hey Jay Carney lies like Baghdad Bob, and it's just laughed off.

We've gone beyond the precipice.

Last edited:
Nations around the world have relied upon the actions of Bernake and his position on this issue. We are still the worlds economic hot house for growth and opportunity.

And..you posted he threw the economy overboard.

Your contention is that started in 2006?

My contention is he was clueless about the crisis. Completely. Utterly. Clueless.

So was BushII.

Which, on Planet Liberal, makes it all good 'cause you all know that two wrongs make a right. Like the Chinese brothers who invented the curly light bulb. Neither could do it on their own 'cause everybody knows it takes two Wongs to make a Light.

it wont have much effect. But that remains to be seen. they are clearly testing the water of turning off the faucet. It is a stimulus. A monetary stimulus. See, unlike MMT chartilists, it is believed (through ecomomic law) the federal reserve buying assets with money it creates out of nothing and using accounting tricks still adds to the monetary base.

LOL @ Economic law.

And no, genius, QE is an asset swap. The FED takes one type of asset - a US Treasury - and swaps it out with reserves in the banking system. The only end game is that the private sector has interest taken away that it could have earned on said Treasury, which would be more than the 0% it would have earned with a cash balance. It's a change in the overall asset composition and term structure of government liabilities. Get this through your thick skull: there is zero increase in non-government net financial assets. There is no new $$$$ added to the economy, but there's an increase in liquidity as longer-term government securities are brought onto the government's balance sheet. Bank reserves thus increase as bank assets.

This is the seventh time I've tried to explain this to you, two of the times were in painstaking detail.

Last edited:
Yeah, and?

And..you posted he threw the economy overboard.

Your contention is that started in 2006?

My contention is he was clueless about the crisis. Completely. Utterly. Clueless.

Okay.

That's a valid point. He even admitted to it in the news conference.

However, Selling mortgages as securities was also relatively new as was the brave new world in the financial world that came with the Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act.

The Enron/Anderson debacle was somewhat of an indicator but it was pretty hard to know what was going to happen next.

LOL @ Economic law.

And no, genius, QE is an asset swap. The FED takes one type of asset - a US Treasury - and swaps it out with reserves in the banking system. The only end game is that the private sector has interest taken away that it could have earned on said Treasury, which would be more than the 0% it would have earned with a cash balance. It's a change in the overall asset composition and term structure of government liabilities. Get this through your thick skull: there is zero increase in non-government net financial assets. There is no new $$$$ added to the economy, but there's an increase in liquidity as longer-term government securities are brought onto the government's balance sheet. Bank reserves thus increase as bank assets.

This is the seventh time I've tried to explain this to you, two of the times were in painstaking detail.

Amazing isn't it?

LOL @ Economic law.

Amazing isn't it?

It's truly amazing. :lol:

Last edited:

LOL @ Economic law.

Said while flecking off ashes from his tweed jacket in the teachers lounge.
The proof is in the pudding. I care not about above the line balance sheet details and the myriad of balance swaps etc. - rather what happens at the end. What is the result of said policies.
The result has been two record Wall Street years, record bonus options in the nations central banks and the top 7% have realized a 28% earnings increase. While the rest have seen a 5% earnings deficit. The policies of this administration have clearly-clearly been geared to benefit the top tier while ignoring the rest.
And Shallow applauds this. :cuckoo:

LOL @ Economic law.

The proof is in the pudding. I care not about above the line balance sheet details and the myriad of balance swaps etc. - rather what happens at the end. What is the result of said policies.
The result has been two record Wall Street years, record bonus options in the nations central banks and the top 7% have realized a 28% earnings increase. While the rest have seen a 5% earnings deficit. The policies of this administration have clearly-clearly been geared to benefit the top tier while ignoring the rest.

I'm not a teacher.

The results of QE are negligible. It didn't work in any meaningful capacity, in terms of the desired outcome.

The situation you describe are a result of Congress approving the bailouts, control fraud, deregulation, securitization schemes of all flavors, inadequate and impotent social programs, and many, many, many other factors.

Last edited:
LOL @ Economic law.

Amazing isn't it?

It's truly amazing. :lol:

It's funny the same folks that had no problem with dumping billions to prop up post Soviet Russia or start a stock market in Iraq go nuts when the government buys US t-bills or securities they can actually SELL at a later time when the economy improves..at a profit.

LOL @ Economic law.

I'm not a teacher.

The results of QE are negligible. It didn't work in any meaningful capacity, in terms of the desired outcome.

The situation you describe are a result of Congress approving the bailouts, control fraud, deregulation, securitization schemes of all flavors, inadequate and impotent social programs, and many, many, many other factors.

Of course. I have made at least 50-100 post saying this very thing.
My point now is how a shallow, low information partisan jerk off session it is for Sallow to applaud Bernanke in some supposed accomplishment.
The economic "recovery" we have seen has been overwhelmingly in favor of the wealthiest...and I mean top 2-3%.
But only because Obama is in office - Sallow makes the connection and proclaims "hoorah".
Dumb as a lamppost.
All of the things you listed above --- not one f*cking thing has been done to address these issues. Nada. That is the real problems...and THAT would be worth applauding.

Forum List

Back