FDR cow towed to Stalin and the Russians.

He gave them East Germany, Poland, and the other Eastern European countries.

He kept saying, "Good ole Joe."

FDR was a babe in a forest of haters.
I don't think FDR 'gave' them anything, they took it. They probably had the largest land force in the world and, short of Nuking them (I'm not sure we had any a-bombs available) we weren't going to force them out of Eastern Europe. Stalin would have been fine with losing another million soldiers, I doubt if we'd have been willing to lose any.

FDR fought a perfect strategy in WWII that minimized US deaths

1. He held back our forces in Europe and made the Soviets do most of the fighting and dying

2. He approved the Manhattan Project which created the bomb to end the war in the Pacific without US invasion

Did you mean "kowtow"?
No, 'Cow Towed' as in we towed cows to the port of Archangel as part of logistical support for the commies, or sumpin.

:D

Fetchez la vache!

tenor.gif

My brother thought i was going to die from laughing the first time we watched it on the big screen in 1975

1. He held back our forces in Europe and made the Soviets do most of the fighting and dying

2. He approved the Manhattan Project which created the bomb to end the war in the Pacific without US invasion

But with zero thought to the post war situation.

Are you trying to say kowtow?
If ever in doubt look shit up before propagating ignorance.
Why did Stalin insist that we land at Normandy at the cost of many many US soldiers?
Who liberated Europe???????

The postwar situation where the US emerged with the worlds strongest economy and a military Super Power?

Why did Stalin insist that we land at Normandy at the cost of many many US soldiers?

Stalin didn't insist on Normandy. Normandy was our idea. Stalin only wanted a second front because millions of Soviets were being killed by Hitler while the other allies were pretty much skating in comparison.
Lord knows there's enough WWII history out there if you only look. Its probably the most documented war in all of history including every war before and since. There is likely as much on WWII alone as there is every other war in history put together.

Because he was tired of bearing the brunt of the fighting and dying by himself.
The US delayed for 2 1/2 years before D Day

The postwar situation where the US emerged with the worlds strongest economy and a military Super Power?

And with the soviet ruling a commie alliance that stretched from the Elbe to South China Sea.

Not exactly a great End Game there.

I don't think FDR 'gave' them anything, they took it. They probably had the largest land force in the world and, short of Nuking them (I'm not sure we had any a-bombs available) we weren't going to force them out of Eastern Europe. Stalin would have been fine with losing another million soldiers, I doubt if we'd have been willing to lose any.
The Soviets had no long range logistical capability to go much further than they already had. Once our air forces took control of the air, even that would have been reduced to ashes. Then the Soviets would have had to retreat or be routed like they were in WW1.

We were tired of war, but we should have continued to free Eastern Europe as Patton wanted to do, but we just didnt have the emotional resources to betray an ally and fight four to six more years of war.

We got our win against three empires and we were satisfied to have those. We felt that the Soviets would not be able to long run their own mess for long and especially not plus half of Europe too.

The Soviets had no long range logistical capability to go much further than they already had. Once our air forces took control of the air, even that would have been reduced to ashes. Then the Soviets would have had to retreat or be routed like they were in WW1.

We were tired of war, but we should have continued to free Eastern Europe as Patton wanted to do, but we just didnt have the emotional resources to betray an ally and fight four to six more years of war.

We got our win against three empires and we were satisfied to have those. We felt that the Soviets would not be able to long run their own mess for long and especially not plus half of Europe too.
Don't buy it. Russia had a deplorable infrastructure but still managed to keep their armies supplied. Once they were in Poland and Germany it only got easier. Air power is good but it didn't put the Brits, Germans, or Japanese out of the war by itself.

The Russians retreated in the face of Hitler and Napoleon but it did neither any good.

You're right, we just didn't have the emotional resources to betray an ally and fight four to six more years of war, assuming it only lasted that long. We felt that the Soviets would not be able to long run their own mess for long and especially not plus half of Europe too, and we were right. How much blood would have been spilled back then when today we'd be in exactly the position we're now in?

And with the soviet ruling a commie alliance that stretched from the Elbe to South China Sea.

The Soviets paid 20 million lives for that territory
What do you propose FDR should have done to remove the Red Army?

We lost 400,000 lives in WWII and the people wanted it over and they wanted their sons back from the war.

How were you going to sell starting a new fight against our former ally?

My advice, if he had asked, would have been to declare the Soviets cobelligerents, not allies.

That would have made it clearer to the people that the Soviets were not friends. And no lend lease for them.

When the war ended, with the nuking of Berlin, the Iron Curtain would have ended up being a few miles outside of Moscow. The Cold War would have been like a still breeze, instead of 80 years of nuclear terror.

My advice, if he had asked, would have been to declare the Soviets cobelligerents, not allies.

That would have made it clearer to the people that the Soviets were not friends. And no lend lease for them.

When the war ended, with the nuking of Berlin, the Iron Curtain would have ended up being a few miles outside of Moscow. The Cold War would have been like a still breeze, instead of 80 years of nuclear terror.
We did not have a nuke until three months after the war with Germany was over.

Any war with the Soviets was going to be bloody. Hard to sell on the home front. For what purpose?
They eventually collapsed in 40 years and it cost us no lives

Forum List

Back