family sending all ten of their home-schooled children to college by the age of 12

I asked you a question I didn't attribute any statements to you.

I have no problem with how these kids are being raised. In fact if more parents followed their example it would be better.

I don't understand the idea of letting children think they don't have to work towards their full potential.

You asked me, "how do you know THESE children don't have balance?" I don't know and I never once implied that they didn't. I never said one thing about it being acceptable to raise children and not encourage them to work to their full potential. Look at my avatar. Does it look like my kid sits around playing on an x-box all day? Or does it look like someone who is encouraged to live up to their potential?

So I'm just supposed to know your avatar is your kid?

Look it's no one's business how these exceptional kids are raised. Instead of being criticized these parents should be praised.
You're lecturing me on an issue I never raised. Not once ever in this entire thread have I ever criticized these people for what they have accomplished. Not once. Please stop implying that I have.

I have ten grand that says he can't figure out how to operate a weapon before I can shoot him dead! Brain>brawn.

lol and thats thy point, we didnt have guns back then. I used to believe in evolution and we came from primates. Now I dont think so.

How do you know these kids don't have so called kid time?

And really The Breakfast Club? I never wasted my time watching those teen age angst movies because they all seem like so much whining to me.

It could be that if the parents are pushing their kids to excel in academia that they are not allowing them to enjoy the things that most other kids enjoy - playing with other kids, watching TV, playing video games, participating in sports.

All those things are important in shaping up a person. What good does it do to be able to succeed, become very rich and suck at being a person?

And really The Breakfast Club? I never wasted my time watching those teen age angst movies because they all seem like so much whining to me.

It could be that if the parents are pushing their kids to excel in academia that they are not allowing them to enjoy the things that most other kids enjoy - playing with other kids, watching TV, playing video games, participating in sports.

All those things are important in shaping up a person. What good does it do to be able to succeed, become very rich and suck at being a person?

That could be, or it could be that the parents are smart enough to know that kids can absorb information a lot quicker than the pace set by the public schools which are geared to the lowest common denominator.

That could be, or it could be that the parents are smart enough to know that kids can absorb information a lot quicker than the pace set by the public schools which are geared to the lowest common denominator.

So they jam it all in in a few years and rob them of their childhood, which you know, they can never get back!

And, a lot of successful people are products of public schools, so much for your assessment.

So they jam it all in in a few years and rob them of their childhood, which you know, they can never get back!

And, a lot of successful people are products of public schools, so much for your assessment.

How does teaching them at their own pace rob them of anything? I was bored to tears all during my k-12 schooling because every class had to go at a pace acceptable to the dumbest lump in the entire class. The instructor would explain something, and I would say "hey, fine. what's next?" Then the instructor would explain that same thing 25 different ways so even the dumbest kid in class could understand it. I don't see how that enriched my childhood one bit.

How does teaching them at their own pace rob them of anything? I was bored to tears all during my k-12 schooling because every class had to go at a pace acceptable to the dumbest lump in the entire class. The instructor would explain something, and I would say "hey, fine. what's next?" Then the instructor would explain that same thing 25 different ways so even the dumbest kid in class could understand it. I don't see how that enriched my childhood one bit.
How does sending a kid to college when they are 12 "at their own pace"? When did they have time to do all the things kids do when they're studying/learning 24/7?

Many schools have AP classes for overachievers. I'm sorry that your school didn't, or maybe you weren't as bright as you think you were, but that isn't what enriches a childhood, being able to enjoy your childhood (being a kid) and not striving to become President of the US or CEO of a major corporation when you're only 6, 7, 10 or 12 years old does.

The most successful ones dropped out of school and got a job right away.

What the hell is this "rob them of their childhood " shit?

Actualizing their potential is the best use of their so called childhood.

It's you people who have extended so called childhood until the age of 30.

People should be able to function independently in the world when they are 18. All these kids will be able to do that most of the rest won't.

How does sending a kid to college when they are 12 "at their own pace"? When did they have time to do all the things kids do when they're studying/learning 24/7?

Many schools have AP classes for overachievers. I'm sorry that your school didn't, or maybe you weren't as bright as you think you were, but that isn't what enriches a childhood, being able to enjoy your childhood (being a kid) and not striving to become President of the US or CEO of a major corporation when you're only 6, 7, 10 or 12 years old does.

You have no understanding of home schooling. In fact government school kids spend more time chained to a desk than home schooled kids.

And when I went to college I spent about 4 hours a day in class and about 4 hours a day studying. That's hardly 24/7.

I wrote the explanation in English, sorry you didn't grasp it.

Actualizing their potential is the best use of their so called childhood.
Yes, if a parent's sole aim is to produce a money making machine.

"You people" - aaah, are you related to Ann Romney. Childhood usually ends when an individual reaches their teenage years, but some continue to act like children, like "you", so is that what you meant by "you" people?

People should be able to function independently in the world when they are 18. All these kids will be able to do that most of the rest won't.
Do you have some stats to prove your statement, or is that more of that Faux News smoke-n-mirrors?

Due to parental pressure.

Wrong. It's due to liberal social policy.

Wrong. It's due to liberal social policy.

You don't have to yell, I'm sure all posters here can read print at size "2" - and just because you were in some class that was slower than you, doesn't mean that all public school classes are geared to the lowest common denominator. That's just you blowing smoke, because I was in classes where those who couldn't keep up, failed. And that was the case in college, too. You snooze you lose.

I wrote the explanation in English, sorry you didn't grasp it.

it's a stupid statement. These kids seem to have a pretty good childhood with parents that spend a lot of time with them. Their so called childhood is not being robbed from them.
Yes, if a parent's sole aim is to produce a money making machine.

Yeah god forbid these kids grow up and have exceptional careers.

"You people" - aaah, are you related to Ann Romney. Childhood usually ends when an individual reaches their teenage years, but some continue to act like children, like "you", so is that what you meant by "you" people?

No I mean you sheep who judge everyone.

Do you have some stats to prove your statement, or is that more of that Faux News smoke-n-mirrors?

I know because I actually pay attention. Sorry you may not want to admit it but these kids put most 21 year olds to shame.

And I see you're just another 2 dimensional pigeon hole thinker who is convinced that anyone who disagrees with you is somehow a fan of Fox News or a member of the republican party.

FYI I don't watch news on the idiot box and I am not never have been and never will be a member of a political flock , little sheep.

Although I think that is great, that seems awful young, I hope they are allowed to be kids as well.

Ya...me too. Why on earth rush childhood? It's short enough as it is.

They sound more like they are somehow trying to prove something rather than caring about their kids - kids may have the book learning but not the mental maturity to deal with college at that age.

Let them be kids...

That's bullshit. I would home-school my son if I could, but my ex wouldn't allow it. She doesn't trust me, she wants him to go to that prison for kids. lol

However, I always tell him, my job is to educate him, their job is to school him. He learns more at home than he does in that hell hole of an institution. They purposely teach him the wrong things so they can later teach him the right things, it infuriates me. At only ten years of age, I have already gotten him to a ninth grade reading level. He has already finished the Lord of the Rings series. Do you think this was "rushing" his childhood? Or perhaps this was his own choice? No, in fact, I only taught him when he was curious, at opportune times. He learned percentages, fractions and algebra when it came up. The school won't get around to it for another few years. Why do teachers read books to fifth graders? What the hell is the point of that? They used to do that to them when they were in the first grade. I will tell you why. Because some of them still can't read, and they know it. Public schooling sucks. Calling it public "education" is a misnomer.

Studies have shown it takes only a little less than sixty hours of education to transmit basic knowledge skills. The rest? It's just hash. They warehouse kids, and waste their lives to keep them off the streets. If a crap load of capable educated people were out there competing for jobs, (oh wait, that's right, it's illegal, they aren't allowed to work. Like many thirteen year-olds couldn't do the work at McDonald's better than the morons that work there now. lol) the elites system would fall apart.

In the colonial era, people used to start their lives at age thirteen. That's when an apprenticeship began.

Bullshit. Rushing childhood? Yeah, what ever. Childhood is over at thirteen. Middle school, the media, the establishment, social media. . . all of it, they are just busy brainwashing teens into voracious unthinking TV watching, Ipod texting, consuming zombies. Partisan ones might I add. Ones that believe there are actually two different political parties when in reality the same corporate banking interests own everything. Idiots, the whole lot of them.

Forum List

Back