family sending all ten of their home-schooled children to college by the age of 12

'We're just average folks': The family sending all ten of their home-schooled children to college by the age of 12

Mona Lisa and Kip Harding from Montgomery, Alabama, home-school all ten of their kids - six of whom started college by the age of 12
The remaining four children are ten and under and also aim to go to college early

By Margot Peppers

A mother who home-schools her ten children in Montgomery, Alabama, has opened up about how six of them began their college degrees by the age of 12.

Those of the Harding siblings who have already graduated from college have gone on to become a doctor, an architect, a spacecraft designer and a master's student. Another two - 12 and 14-years-old - are still finishing up their degrees.

But despite the Hardings' incredible achievements at such young ages, their parents - Mona Lisa and Kip - insist they are a family of 'average folks' who simply find and cultivate their children's passions early on.

Read more: The family sending all ten of their home-schooled children to college by the age of 12 | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

There are obviously many different approaches to Home-Schooling.

Exceptionally bright parents teaching their gifted children.

Or, the more common example, religious parents afraid their children might learn to think for themselves in a normal school setting.

I like this poster so I wont cut you down much, but Idk, I took 4 history classes in my last year of high school and I still had to relearn everything after I graduated. because they lied to me or just didnt know. I had to read a ton of books to learn the truth in the 80's before the net.

Are they free from all indoctrination, or just Marxist? What's the difference between indoctrination and teaching? What's the difference between being educated and being indoctrinated?

You comment brought to mind a woman I met once in Washington, DC at a gathering of activist Christian's which might illustrate what I'm asking.

We were on a bus coming back from the convention center when the subject of Christian schools came up. This young woman told us she taught at a K-7 Christian school in Virginia and that they taught their kids the theory of evolution.

"Great," I said. "What a wonderful education those kids must be getting. You teach them both sides of the evolution vs. creation argument and let them make up their own minds." Allowing students to exercise their powers of critical thinking and decide for themselves. What could be wrong with that?

"Oh, no!" she replied in horror. "We expose them to evolution so they can REFUTE IT WHEN THEY'RE EXPOSED TO IT IN PUBLIC SCHOOL."

To me....THAT is the difference between education and indoctrination.

and thats your problem if you think we came from apes. Its not a fact. Thats what you dont get evolution and man made global warming are not fucking facts. no matter how much you want to stomp your feet and go pout in the corner.

Evolution is as closed to a scientific fact as you can get. AGW, on the other hand, is just a huge con.

Lmao....... think outside the box. If you came from apes you could pick up a car right about now if that was true. they are strong as hell. we are weak..... think about it and dont believe everything you were taught.

'We're just average folks': The family sending all ten of their home-schooled children to college by the age of 12

Mona Lisa and Kip Harding from Montgomery, Alabama, home-school all ten of their kids - six of whom started college by the age of 12
The remaining four children are ten and under and also aim to go to college early

By Margot Peppers

A mother who home-schools her ten children in Montgomery, Alabama, has opened up about how six of them began their college degrees by the age of 12.

Those of the Harding siblings who have already graduated from college have gone on to become a doctor, an architect, a spacecraft designer and a master's student. Another two - 12 and 14-years-old - are still finishing up their degrees.

But despite the Hardings' incredible achievements at such young ages, their parents - Mona Lisa and Kip - insist they are a family of 'average folks' who simply find and cultivate their children's passions early on.

Read more: The family sending all ten of their home-schooled children to college by the age of 12 | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

That's pretty cool - but it doesn't mean that homeschooling is better than mainstream school. The kids were obviously gifted, taught by a gifted mother.

And how would those gifted kids have faired in public school?

That is the beauty of homeschooled children. You can go at their pace, not the pace of the collective herd.

I've not seen anyone deny that hands on parents are the most important ingredient for a successful education. But what about the kids of parents who don't or can't take such an active part?

Those kids are doomed.

I am one of those children and while my youth was doomed there are people and programs that can and do help those children. I am thankful for that.

I've not seen anyone deny that hands on parents are the most important ingredient for a successful education. But what about the kids of parents who don't or can't take such an active part?

Those kids are doomed.

I am one of those children and while my youth was doomed there are people and programs that can and do help those children. I am thankful for that.

Yes, programs helped you, not the ordinary run-of-the-mill public schools. What I have observed is that if parents don't tutor their kids, they don't learn a thing. Public schools are nothing more than glorified baby sitting services.

Those kids are doomed.

Yes, programs helped you, not the ordinary run-of-the-mill public schools. What I have observed is that if parents don't tutor their kids, they don't learn a thing. Public schools are nothing more than glorified baby sitting services.

To an extent I agree but some fine tuning would go a long way.

and thats your problem if you think we came from apes. Its not a fact. Thats what you dont get evolution and man made global warming are not fucking facts. no matter how much you want to stomp your feet and go pout in the corner.

Evolution is as closed to a scientific fact as you can get. AGW, on the other hand, is just a huge con.

Lmao....... think outside the box. If you came from apes you could pick up a car right about now if that was true. they are strong as hell. we are weak..... think about it and dont believe everything you were taught.

We don't come from apes. We are apes. Humans and the great apes are in the same family. We are as closely related to gorillas as chimpanzees are related to gorillas. The fact that we are weak doesn't prove anything. Gorillas are far far stronger than chimpanzees, but they are very closely related. Our ancestors living one million years ago were every bit as strong as chimpanzees, but technology has lessened our need for physical strength.

BTW, no one every even mentioned evolution when I was in school. My knowledge of science is mostly self-taught.

Last edited:

We don't come from apes. We are apes. Humans and the great apes are in the family. We are as closely related to gorillas as chimpanzees are related to gorillas. Te fact that we are weak doesn't prove anything. Gorillas are far far stronger than chimpanzees, but they are very closely related. Our ancestors living one million years ago were every bit as strong as chimpanzees, but technology has lessened our need for physical strength.

BTW, no one every even mentioned evolution when I was in school. My knowledge of science is mostly self-taught.

I have you thinking.... a chimp can rip your face off. what your saying is we went backward not forward. just a question how did we get the girls back then? we all know a girl finds a mate that can protect her and a human didnt evolve that fast with a brain.

and oh yea if you think your as strong as a monkey I have a grand on the table that says he will kill you.

Although I think that is great, that seems awful young, I hope they are allowed to be kids as well.

Ya...me too. Why on earth rush childhood? It's short enough as it is.

They sound more like they are somehow trying to prove something rather than caring about their kids - kids may have the book learning but not the mental maturity to deal with college at that age.

Let them be kids...

What does that mean, "Let them be kids"?

Is it better they hang around the mall perfecting their texting skills than actualizing their potential?

Do you say to people with kids that are serious athletes to just let their kids be kids? After all why spend all that time training when they could be playing video games with their peers who aspire to nothing more than the high score on Xbox..

Is it better they hang around the mall perfecting their texting skills than actualizing their potential?

Do you say to people with kids that are serious athletes to just let their kids be kids? After all why spend all that time training when they could be playing video games with their peers who aspire to nothing more than the high score on Xbox..

Parents should ask themselves that question. Children can suffer from stress just like adults and balance is important. Remember in the Breakfast Club when Anthony Michael Hall's character went a little bonkers because he got an F in shop class because he couldn't make a lamp? Okay, that was only a movie, but still - some kids are under tremendous pressure to make the grade, make the team, perform perfectly, etc. etc. There definitely needs to be some kid time and failure is actually sometimes an option.

Parents should ask themselves that question. Children can suffer from stress just like adults and balance is important. Remember in the Breakfast Club when Anthony Michael Hall's character went a little bonkers because he got an F in shop class because he couldn't make a lamp? Okay, that was only a movie, but still - some kids are under tremendous pressure to make the grade, make the team, perform perfectly, etc. etc. There definitely needs to be some kid time and failure is actually sometimes an option.

How do you know these kids don't have so called kid time?

And really The Breakfast Club? I never wasted my time watching those teen age angst movies because they all seem like so much whining to me.

And really The Breakfast Club? I never wasted my time watching those teen age angst movies because they all seem like so much whining to me.

You'll have to show me where I said that these kids didn't have balance.

The Breakfast Club. I liked it. What can I say.

I asked you a question I didn't attribute any statements to you.

I have no problem with how these kids are being raised. In fact if more parents followed their example it would be better.

I don't understand the idea of letting children think they don't have to work towards their full potential.

I have no problem with how these kids are being raised. In fact if more parents followed their example it would be better.

I don't understand the idea of letting children think they don't have to work towards their full potential.

You asked me, "how do you know THESE children don't have balance?" I don't know and I never once implied that they didn't. I never said one thing about it being acceptable to raise children and not encourage them to work to their full potential. Look at my avatar. Does it look like my kid sits around playing on an x-box all day? Or does it look like someone who is encouraged to live up to their potential?

You asked me, "how do you know THESE children don't have balance?" I don't know and I never once implied that they didn't. I never said one thing about it being acceptable to raise children and not encourage them to work to their full potential. Look at my avatar. Does it look like my kid sits around playing on an x-box all day? Or does it look like someone who is encouraged to live up to their potential?

So I'm just supposed to know your avatar is your kid?

Look it's no one's business how these exceptional kids are raised. Instead of being criticized these parents should be praised.

Forum List

Back