The Wussification of Society

Our society has lost a good deal of its willingness to take risks over the years. Examples include:
  1. Removing most playground that’s any fun;
  2. Requiring bicycle riders to wear helmets;
  3. Children don’t play outside, unsupervised anymore;
  4. Children get driven every where and don’t ride their bicycles;
  5. Cars have “passive restraints;” and
  6. We locked down society over what amounted, at worst, to be a bad flu.
The costs of this excessive caution cannot be overestimated. When I was growing up, where I played, how I played, how I got to leisure activities and the like were parental decisions. When I started bicycling at age seven, my range was restricted to my six-block “neighborhood” bounded by a secondary road. Later, when that road got a sidewalk, I was allowed to go about ½ mile to the boundary of another secondary road. Later, I could go outside those boundaries but only with another child.

“Pickup” baseball games started in late March, and soccer was the rule in the fall. Sledding and ice skating was the rule in winter. In fact, on December 2, 1967 I did fall through the ice, and was treading deep water. I was rescued, taken to the hospital and I’m still alive. I survived monkey bars and see-saws at a younger age. These days, my older son was one of the few that took the initiative to bike around, sometimes going about ten miles to one of his sets of grandparents. There was only one fall with a few scrapes.

Turning to adult pastimes, cars have been increasingly been put out of reach of mere mortals by “passive restraints” such as airbags, and other equipment that costs more than its worth to the average person. When it comes to the recent Covid “pandemic” society was locked down to no net benefit and egregious costs. The moneys saved could and should have been used to allow the vulnerable to be excused from work and having to go out.

Now, the government is getting ready to make heating and air conditioning, as well as travel more cumbersome. We live in a democratic society. Is this what we want?

I’m not saying we should have no rules or regulations. But, some cost-benefit analysis please.
This sort of dishonest idiocy is typical conservatism – an ideology based on fear, ignorance, stupidity, and lies.

Our society has lost a good deal of its willingness to take risks over the years. Examples include:
  1. Removing most playground that’s any fun;
  2. Requiring bicycle riders to wear helmets;
  3. Children don’t play outside, unsupervised anymore;
  4. Children get driven every where and don’t ride their bicycles;
  5. Cars have “passive restraints;” and
  6. We locked down society over what amounted, at worst, to be a bad flu.
The costs of this excessive caution cannot be overestimated. When I was growing up, where I played, how I played, how I got to leisure activities and the like were parental decisions. When I started bicycling at age seven, my range was restricted to my six-block “neighborhood” bounded by a secondary road. Later, when that road got a sidewalk, I was allowed to go about ½ mile to the boundary of another secondary road. Later, I could go outside those boundaries but only with another child.

“Pickup” baseball games started in late March, and soccer was the rule in the fall. Sledding and ice skating was the rule in winter. In fact, on December 2, 1967 I did fall through the ice, and was treading deep water. I was rescued, taken to the hospital and I’m still alive. I survived monkey bars and see-saws at a younger age. These days, my older son was one of the few that took the initiative to bike around, sometimes going about ten miles to one of his sets of grandparents. There was only one fall with a few scrapes.

Turning to adult pastimes, cars have been increasingly been put out of reach of mere mortals by “passive restraints” such as airbags, and other equipment that costs more than its worth to the average person. When it comes to the recent Covid “pandemic” society was locked down to no net benefit and egregious costs. The moneys saved could and should have been used to allow the vulnerable to be excused from work and having to go out.

Now, the government is getting ready to make heating and air conditioning, as well as travel more cumbersome. We live in a democratic society. Is this what we want?

I’m not saying we should have no rules or regulations. But, some cost-benefit analysis please.
NO, no cost-benefit analsyis...that is how it starts not how it ends. IN a world of imperfection you can always find imperfection.
THis was how Hillary made it to the top of the ant-hill before tumbling. Always contrast everybody eles's position with perfection
Does government care more about my kids and family than I do

Forum List

Back