family sending all ten of their home-schooled children to college by the age of 12

bripat9643

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2011
'We're just average folks': The family sending all ten of their home-schooled children to college by the age of 12

Mona Lisa and Kip Harding from Montgomery, Alabama, home-school all ten of their kids - six of whom started college by the age of 12
The remaining four children are ten and under and also aim to go to college early

By Margot Peppers

A mother who home-schools her ten children in Montgomery, Alabama, has opened up about how six of them began their college degrees by the age of 12.

Those of the Harding siblings who have already graduated from college have gone on to become a doctor, an architect, a spacecraft designer and a master's student. Another two - 12 and 14-years-old - are still finishing up their degrees.

But despite the Hardings' incredible achievements at such young ages, their parents - Mona Lisa and Kip - insist they are a family of 'average folks' who simply find and cultivate their children's passions early on.

Read more: The family sending all ten of their home-schooled children to college by the age of 12 | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Wow, it's probably because they know the year the declaration was signed, which is more than 90% of current public High skrool students

Although I think that is great, that seems awful young, I hope they are allowed to be kids as well.

good point....but it's just sad how bad our public education system is......I think it jumped the shark.....lets get the taxes and inflation down and have people schooled at home.......

Yes, the world would be sooo much better if all righties could homeskool their children. I can see it now...

yep, we'd learn things like indians killed each other, before us white folk arrived.....

we'd learn dates and facts

we'd learn history....like whites traded blacks rum for slaves and rarely went into africa to catch themselves...we'd also learn blacks and indians had slaves.....holy shit everyone has had some one time or the other!!!!!!!!!
We learn math, not that 2+2=5 for self esteem purposes.....

we'd learn science, not pseudo crap like studies show..........

Although I think that is great, that seems awful young, I hope they are allowed to be kids as well.

good point....but it's just sad how bad our public education system is......I think it jumped the shark.....lets get the taxes and inflation down and have people schooled at home.......

Oh I agree, I'm no supporter of the public system we have now and the bullshit they feed the kids. They no longer teach them how to think, they teach them what to think.
I'm envious of anyone able to commit and follow through with homeschooling, 12 just seems young for university is all.

'We're just average folks': The family sending all ten of their home-schooled children to college by the age of 12

Mona Lisa and Kip Harding from Montgomery, Alabama, home-school all ten of their kids - six of whom started college by the age of 12
The remaining four children are ten and under and also aim to go to college early

By Margot Peppers

A mother who home-schools her ten children in Montgomery, Alabama, has opened up about how six of them began their college degrees by the age of 12.

Those of the Harding siblings who have already graduated from college have gone on to become a doctor, an architect, a spacecraft designer and a master's student. Another two - 12 and 14-years-old - are still finishing up their degrees.

But despite the Hardings' incredible achievements at such young ages, their parents - Mona Lisa and Kip - insist they are a family of 'average folks' who simply find and cultivate their children's passions early on.

Read more: The family sending all ten of their home-schooled children to college by the age of 12 | Mail Online

That's pretty cool - but it doesn't mean that homeschooling is better than mainstream school. The kids were obviously gifted, taught by a gifted mother.

The parents aren't doing their kids any favors by sending them off to college at that age. They may be educationally gifted, but they'll end up socially stunted if they're not careful.

The parents aren't doing their kids any favors by sending them off to college at that age. They may be educationally gifted, but they'll end up socially stunted if they're not careful.

we do agree...there are unintended consequences of that....but it's nice to see they got a great education at home!

By Margot Peppers

That's pretty cool - but it doesn't mean that homeschooling is better than mainstream school. The kids were obviously gifted, taught by a gifted mother.

Sorry, but that's not obvious at all. The odds that 10 kids in the same family will all be gifted is indistinguishable from zero. What his case shows beyond all doubt is that homeschooling is better than public schooling.

True, they will miss out on listening to rap music, doing drugs, teenage pregnancy, classes on transgendered lifestyle, etc. .. :cool:

Good for them. But what's the point of this thread? That public school is inferior to home schooling? That every child should be home-schooled?

I doubt that most parents would have the time or be able to afford the lost income to school their children at home. How many parents are working one, two full time jobs just to get by? Should they quit their job(s)?

Good for them. But what's the point of this thread? That public school is inferior to home schooling? That every child should be home-schooled?

I doubt that most parents would have the time or be able to afford the lost income to school their children at home. How many parents are working one, two full time jobs just to get by? Should they quit their job(s)?

Homeschooling doesn't take all that much time. Let's not confuse education with babysitting like the public schools.

If you want to homeschool your kids, you can find a way.

Remarkable family, that.

Now if that family was really the typical family then clearly we would not need an educational system of ANY kind, would we?

Sadly that is not an average family...not remotely average

Homeschooling doesn't take all that much time. Let's not confuse education with babysitting like the public schools.

If you want to homeschool your kids, you can find a way.

If you want to, fine. But let's not pretend that it's an ideal situation for every child/parent.

Besides, tell the parent working two full time-jobs, cooking and cleaning that they can "find the time".

By Margot Peppers

Home schooling is better than government schools.

Performance and test scores prove it.

Bullshit.

They'll be more socially able because they are dealing with more people of varying ages than the average teen.

By Margot Peppers

In the world of homeschooling they are average.

My son was about 3 years behind them. But he did both homeschooling and reg. school. He graduated HS at 15 - with 4.0. Then started his own business. My other two graduated magna cum laude and suma cum laude - one is doctor - other is a professor and they think she is a student! lol! She is very young. She got her Masters degree after she turned 20? I think. I can't remember now. I'm definitely for homeschooling. It gives our children the edge they need in life. All of my friends homeschooled from the beginning to the end. Their children were way ahead of the average student attending private school or public school. Probably about 3 or 4 grades ahead is the average. These homeschoolers will be our next leaders. They are free of any marxist indoctrination so we'll be writing a new page in our American History books! ha! ha!

About the interview with the HS mom --

Stimulating their passion early on is part of it. The other part is no television other than carefully selected videos - age appropriate - that teach life lessons. ( they would rather spend time with their parents any how - tv is a bad babysitter )

Pilgrims progress is an excellent film for children. The veggie tales series is also very good. Other than that I'd turn the television off or get rid of it. I would also encourage friends of all nationalities for learning languages. They should learn at least 2 or 3 other languages also. I have a friend whose son speaks 7 languages fluently.

It will probably take more discipline for the parent to adjust to homeschooling. If you wouldn't sit on a phone or use a computer - watch television while working at a business that took care of children why would you do it with your own children at home? They need your attention. Redeem the time, folks!! Tell Miss Yackety Yack you are busy educating your children and hang up! For good! It won't take long for people to get the message.

-Jeri

Forum List

Back