Explain why coaches in an "amateur" sport like college football are paid $7 million a year

They get paid what the establishment thinks they're worth.
Obviously a university is not going to pay their football coach $7 million if the program is only bringing in $6 million.

The kids do the actual work and they are "paid" a $20,000 a year scholarship. Some will say "but then the kids got to the pros and make millions", but very few college players ever get to the pros.
Sports, especially football, bring a lot of money to a university.
Good teams bring more money.
Good coaches create good teams.
Good coaches cost money.
:dunno:
Something else to consider , big schools use winning football and mens basketball teams to pay for every other sport. No other sports even pay for themselves. So if you dont have a football coach who can win and bring in the money, you won't be able to fund the women's volleyball team.
Which then bring up Title IX issues.

The players in a way do get paid. Let's say you're a student attending USC. Your tuition, room and board for a year is going to run you about $60,000. If you attend college on a football scholarship then none of that is coming out of pocket which means you are essentially being paid that amount to play football at USC.

HAHAHA $60,000??? If the coach is getting 7 mill then the star players should be getting 30 mill. THINK

You're also being trained to take that next step towards possibly becoming a pro player. What is that training worth if it results in a ten million dollar a year contract to play in the NFL?

I addressed that in the OP. Even at big name schools, very very few players will ever make it to the pros let alone make 10 mill a year.

They get paid what the establishment thinks they're worth.
Obviously a university is not going to pay their football coach $7 million if the program is only bringing in $6 million.

What happened to the idea that college sports is an amateur sport.? You're not addressing the issue.

You're also being trained to take that next step towards possibly becoming a pro player. What is that training worth if it results in a ten million dollar a year contract to play in the NFL?

I addressed that in the OP. Even at big name schools, very very few players will ever make it to the pros let alone make 10 mill a year.
A great number graduate and go on to a better life not available without college.

Don't like it, don't go to ball games or watch them on TV.

Furthermore, a coach can leave the school at any time abandoning the players that he recruited and made promises to but a player changing schools has to sit out a year. This POS informed his players of his departure with a text.

Todd Graham - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
How many games does a wharf rat attend?

You don't like it, don't patronize it.

I don't like spoiled NFL players.

Do I bitch?

No, I just don't watch it.

These schools are exploiting the kids something terrible. They're worse than child molesters.
Grow up.

It is a way out of the slums and rural ghettos for thousands.

If you want to help the kids why not pay them what they're worth? If the coach is worth 7 million what are the top players worth? Answer - a lot more than a lousy scholarship.

College coaches are not amateurs. Why wouldn't they be paid? As for what they ARE paid? I'm not arguing that head coaches at big programs make way too much money but just to put it in perspective your average head coach probably put in decades as a Grad Assistant coach, Positions Coach and Coordinator before they hit the Head Coaching jackpot.

I've got a college friend named Steve Spagnuolo who went into coaching and ended up as an NFL head coach making millions but for close to 30 years he worked his ass off in some very low prestige jobs making diddly for money.

Massachusetts
(Graduate Assistant)
Washington Redskins
(Player Personnel Intern)
Lafayette
(Def. Line/Special Teams Coach)
Connecticut
(Defensive Backs Coach)
Connecticut
(Def. Coordinator/DB Coach)
Barcelona Dragons
(Def. Line/Special Teams Coach)
Maine
(Defensive Backs Coach)
Maine
(Def. Coordinator/LB Coach)
Rutgers University
(Defensive Backs Coach)
Bowling Green University
(Defensive Backs Coach)
Frankfurt Galaxy
(Def. Coordinator/LB Coach)
Philadelphia Eagles
(Defensive Assistant)
Philadelphia Eagles
(Defensive Backs Coach)
Philadelphia Eagles
(Linebackers coach)
New York Giants
(Defensive Coordinator)
St. Louis Rams
(Head Coach)

That's pretty common for football coaches. It's a transitory life that's hell on your family life. Another of my college friends who became a coach is on marriage #6. Trust me, coaching has it's up side but it's also got some MAJOR drawbacks!
Coaching is a calling, like any other form of teaching.
Next BITCHFEST thread will whine that teachers are paid and students are not.

College coaches are not amateurs. Why wouldn't they be paid? !

Make up your mind. You can't say "It's an amateur sport so the players don't get paid. But it's a pro sport so the coaches do."

THINK
The players in a way do get paid. Let's say you're a student attending USC. Your tuition, room and board for a year is going to run you about $60,000. If you attend college on a football scholarship then none of that is coming out of pocket which means you are essentially being paid that amount to play football at USC.
No draft forcing kids to play college sports against their will, is there?

The kids do the actual work and they are "paid" a $20,000 a year scholarship. Some will say "but then the kids got to the pros and make millions", but very few college players ever get to the pros.

The 20 Highest-Paid Coaches In College Football - Business Insider

dec 3 2014
As television revenue increases for conferences and the NCAA, and demand increases for schools to compete for national championships, salaries for the head coaches are skyrocketing.

So it is not surprising that the most successful coach in college football, Nick Saban, tops the list.

Using data compiled by USAToday.com, here are the highest-paid college football players.

#1 Nick Saban, Alabama — $7.2 million

#2 Mark Dantonio, Michigan State — $5.6 million

#3 Bob Stoops, Oklahoma — $5.1 million

#20 Bret Bielema, Arkansas — $3.2 million

Where in the world can you attend college for $20K a year?
Louisiana for one.

I on the other hand watch PRO BALL because it's the creme of the college crop....no bullshit....which is why the NFL stands for "not for long"...average career is 4 years. If you wonder why Hoke got $2.8M at Michigan, it's because the BIG HOUSE seats 110,000 fans and pays for all the other sports programs including intramural and womens.

right on Roadrunner . IMO sports are cool at the neighborhood level but I can't stand pro or organized sports even in high school . I won't contribute a penny towards any pro or school sports and certainly won't watch . By the way , what is a WHARF RAT ??

The 20 Highest-Paid Coaches In College Football - Business Insider

dec 3 2014
As television revenue increases for conferences and the NCAA, and demand increases for schools to compete for national championships, salaries for the head coaches are skyrocketing.

So it is not surprising that the most successful coach in college football, Nick Saban, tops the list.

Using data compiled by USAToday.com, here are the highest-paid college football players.

#1 Nick Saban, Alabama — $7.2 million

#2 Mark Dantonio, Michigan State — $5.6 million

#3 Bob Stoops, Oklahoma — $5.1 million

#20 Bret Bielema, Arkansas — $3.2 million

Where in the world can you attend college for $20K a year?

Its free in some countries, for American students, as well.

Those would be the same countries our own students will going to for higher education because those countries are smart enough to invest in the future.

These schools are exploiting the kids something terrible. They're worse than child molesters.
Grow up.

It is a way out of the slums and rural ghettos for thousands.

If you want to help the kids why not pay them what they're worth? If the coach is worth 7 million what are the top players worth? Answer - a lot more than a lousy scholarship.

If you're a "top player" chances are that you ARE going to get a shot at the pros. A better question would be what does a marginal player who has no shot at making it to the NFL get out of a college scholarship to play football? For starters there are literally thousands of young college athletes who would simply never be in college if it weren't for sports. For many their families couldn't come close to affording it...for many others their grades wouldn't get them into the colleges that accept them because of their athletic prowess. Does college athletics take advantage of "top players"? I think that argument could be made but the flip side of that is college athletics helps far more young people than it ever hurts. I attended college on a hockey scholarship. There is no way I could have afforded to attend THAT school if it were not for that scholarship. Did the school take advantage of me because it didn't pay me for playing a sport I loved and used to have to pay to play?

HAHAHA $60,000??? If the coach is getting 7 mill then the star players should be getting 30 mill. THINK

Then the price of tickets for those games would have to increase or other college sports that don't generate a profit would have to be cut. You would end up with a "pro" football and basketball team at all of the big schools and no other athletic programs. Tens of thousands of OTHER college athletes would lose their scholarships. THINK? I don't think you have thought it through...

Furthermore, a coach can leave the school at any time abandoning the players that he recruited and made promises to but a player changing schools has to sit out a year. This POS informed his players of his departure with a text.

Todd Graham - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
How many games does a wharf rat attend?

You don't like it, don't patronize it.

I don't like spoiled NFL players.

Do I bitch?

No, I just don't watch it.
A coach bails on his team and notifies them by text and I say he`s a low life. You suggest I shouldn`t watch football because I think this guy is an ass? Huh?

Forum List

Back