Expanding on the logic riddle:

I got in a heated argument with someone over a similar riddle involving tossing a coin. Say you flip a coin five times, and all five times it’s tails. He was convinced that meant the sixth time had a higher probability of being heads. No! It’s still 50/50!

Also, people won’t believe that if you play the lotto with the numbers: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 it has just as much chance of winning as any other single combination of numbers.

it’s amazing how most people do not understand the basics of probability.

I'd disagree with the last one about the lotto numbers. It's only make a small difference but I think the chances are lower.

If you were to look at the statistics and see how often neighboring numbers come up next to each other, you might find that things are not necessarily equal.

Here's a lottery, I think it's the UK lottery, I'm not sure.

5th Jan they had two consecutive numbers
22nd December they had two consecutive numbers
11th December they had three consecutive numbers together
8th December they had two consecutive numbers together
4th December they had two consecutive
1st December they had one consecutive

Not bad, in the space of 40 days with 12 draws you had 4 pairs, 1 double pair and one triple. But nothing more than a triple.

What are the statistical chances of getting a double?

Well, 7 doubles in 12 draws. That's a high frequency. Chances of a triple? One in 12. Chances of a quadruple? Much less.

Here's the frequency of the numbers. The lottery certainly isn't totally random. People get balls, they go through a process that might repeat, the machine goes through a process that repeats and perhaps there are reasons why certain numbers come out more often.

13 and 14 are the most common pair. Again, maybe this is just chance, maybe it's for some reason. Other lotteries might find it works differently. Triple numbers, 8,9,10 has appeared three times. Others have appeared twice.

Bizarrely, this thunderball thing also has numbers in the teens quite high up too. Same company, I think.

Apparently in 2016 1,2,3,4,20,21 was drawn, a quadruple.

It happens. What about five consecutive numbers?

It depends on how you approach the statistics really.

Because, in and of itself, each individual card draw will always have a 50/50 chance, but the chance that *two* consecutive draws will be the same color lowers the probability. Am I right?
Yes, that is part of the larger solution.

I'd disagree with the last one about the lotto numbers. It's only make a small difference but I think the chances are lower.

If you were to look at the statistics and see how often neighboring numbers come up next to each other, you might find that things are not necessarily equal.

Not bad, in the space of 40 days with 12 draws you had 4 pairs, 1 double pair and one triple. But nothing more than a triple.

Well, 7 doubles in 12 draws. That's a high frequency. Chances of a triple? One in 12. Chances of a quadruple? Much less.

Here's the frequency of the numbers. The lottery certainly isn't totally random. People get balls, they go through a process that might repeat, the machine goes through a process that repeats and perhaps there are reasons why certain numbers come out more often.

13 and 14 are the most common pair. Again, maybe this is just chance, maybe it's for some reason. Other lotteries might find it works differently. Triple numbers, 8,9,10 has appeared three times. Others have appeared twice.

Bizarrely, this thunderball thing also has numbers in the teens quite high up too. Same company, I think.

But that's specious.

That Thunderball stat site is just rude, IMO. Just trying to suck people into losing more money. They are generating noisy data from too-small a sample size to try to fool people into believing one number may have an advantage over the other, causing them to falsely inflate their expectation.

There are 39 Thunderballs, 5 balls drawn = 69 million+ combinations. How many historical drawings? 5,000? 10,000 maaaaybe?

Those noisy charts will trend to even frequencies for each number, over time.

1,2...7 has no less chance than any other 7-digit number.

Well, I haven't seen your answers, yet.
Well, wouldn’t the answer to all three scenarios be 1/4 since in all three you’re asking the probability of it being same color *twice*, not once?

Seems like all the other info is red herring.

Then the problem is with how you write this "them" means what? I took it to mean "all the cards", you meant it to mean two cards.
"Before I lay the two cards down, I shuffle them behind my back."

Sorry for the confusion, if any.

Hmmm, but if you flip a coin twice there’s a 1/4 chance both flips will be heads.
True.

And a 1/4 chance that I draw a pair of the same color.

But you get to start kicking out possibilities, if I reveal to you that one card is red.

Good point. I’ll agree that a string of consecutive numbers obviously has less chance than a string of non-consecutive ones.

But I maintain (or I think I do) that the numbers I said have just as much chance as any other *single* combination of numbers.

Times like this I wish I had taken some math courses beyond high school. Hated math with a passion, but I think I’d dig stuff like this.

Doesn't matter. The infinite deck makes it simpler math, really.

Yes, half the infinite deck is red and half is black.
How does showing one card change anything? If both halves are infinite, then showing that one is red doesn’t “take one away” from the total number of reds and thus doesn’t increase the probability of the second card being black.

In a 52 card deck, sure. But if there’s infinite red and infinite black…..

Good point. I’ll agree that a string of consecutive numbers obviously has less chance than a string of non-consecutive ones.

But I maintain (or I think I do) that the numbers I said have just as much chance as anyone have a far *single* other combination of numbers.

Times like this I wish I had taken some math courses beyond high school. Hated math with a passion, but I think I’d dig stuff like this.

How does showing one card change anything?
Well, now you know they are not two black cards, if it is revealed that one of the cards is red. That is then one permutation (both black) you can kick out, of the 4 possible permutations.

Well, now you know they are not two black cards, if it is revealed that one of the cards is red. That is then one permutation (both black) you can kick out, of the 4 possible permutations.
Oh, I think I get it. So, in scenarios 1 and 2, you can disregard the first card and the question reverts to the 50/50 probability of the second card.

Bit I don’t get how shuffling the two cards in the third scenario makes a difference.

Forum List

Back