Expanding on the logic riddle:

In scenarios 3 and 4, the first card wasn't red?

3) I pull one card, then another. Before I lay the two cards down face-down in front of you, I shuffle them behind my back. I lay them face-down in front of you, and I turn over the card to your left. It is red.

What is the probability the card on the right is also red?

4) I pull one card, then another. Before I lay the two cards down face-down in front of you, I shuffle them behind my back. I lay them face-down in front of you, and I turn over the card to your right. It is red.

What is the probability the card on the left is also red?

Darn, the first card turned over was red.

3) I pull one card, then another. Before I lay the two cards down face-down in front of you, I shuffle them behind my back. I lay them face-down in front of you, and I turn over the card to your left. It is red.

What is the probability the card on the right is also red?

4) I pull one card, then another. Before I lay the two cards down face-down in front of you, I shuffle them behind my back. I lay them face-down in front of you, and I turn over the card to your right. It is red.

What is the probability the card on the left is also red?

Darn, the first card turned over was red.
Yep, in all 4 scenarios, the first car flipped over is red.

An arbitrary choice by me. I could have used black for the riddle. The math remains the same.

Notice that you know which card was drawn from the deck first, in scenarios 1 and 2.

Why does it matter if the first flipped card is first drawn or second drawn?
Now you are homing in on the solution.

Because, when you do not know whether you are looking at the first or second card drawn from the deck, you can only eliminate one of the 4 equally likely permutations from the possibilities. What remains is:

BR
RB
RR

3 equally likely permutations.

If you know you are looking at the first card drawn from the deck, you can eliminate 2 of the 4 equally likely permutations from the possibilities.
What remains is:

RB
RR

2 equally likely permutations.

And, for the record, this is not a "test of intelligence". Nearly everyone fails this riddle the first time, unless they have some sort of deep background in discrete mathematics.

I like it because it demonstrates that the world does not always work intuitively, and that the mathematical arguments force you to accept something that seems absurd to you.

Imagine how Schröedinger felt, when first devising the mathematics of quantum mechanics. Quantum mechanical behavior STILL does not make sense to scientists. But the results are what they are.

So how is that any different than scenario 1 and 2, where you also eliminated BB
and flipped one card?
Because you know whether the flipped card was the first or second card drawn from the deck.

Remember, your "sample space" here is the four possible permutations of two cards drawn from the deck. The first element is the first card drawn, and the second element is the second card drawn:

BB
BR
RB
RR

If you know the first card drawn from the deck is red, this leaves only 2, equally likely possible permutations for the two cards:

RB
RR

If you only know that "at least one card is red", this leaves 3, equally likely permutations for the two cards:

BR
RB
RR

Forum List

Back