EV's will save the planet (according to alarmists)

Can you think of no product whose use by citizens would be of benefit to the nation as a whole. Or, conversely, one whose use would be harmful? And, if so, why shouldn't the government work in our best interests. I thought that was a significant part of its job.

As a matter of practice, the government should not be banning or promoting (with the use of taxpayer money) people's spending decisions. It is a certain guarantee of corruption.

"When buying and selling are legislated, the first thing to be bought and sold are legislators."

OK Boomer

Most of the people with whom I work are young -- in their 20's and 30's -- and are quite disdainful of the EVs which have been forced upon us by the department (fortunately very few). They spend more time in the shop and given an option, they are always the last vehicles left in the garage. Not a single person with whom I work owns, or is considering owning, an EV. They are totally impractical for the region where I live and the lifestyle most of us live.

The only way for EV to become ubiquitous would be for government to ban their alternatives.

They spend more time in the shop and given an option, they are always the last vehicles left in the garage. Not a single person with whom I work owns, or is considering owning, an EV.

Yours is an ignorant opinion, based on zero experience with EV's. But you get a break, because they are still largely unknown to the general public, most of whom likely are ill informed themselves. And, as technology improves, so will battery life. It's not a question of if, but when. You are old enough to remember when a clunky desktop computer cost $3000.00, and few people owned one. Guess what? History repeats.

They may not become ubiquitous, but when there are as many charging stations as gas stations, and charges times are 10 minutes, well, I can't say if they will outpace ICE vehicles, but that time will come as well someday, maybe not our lifetimes. Exceptions for rural areas still apply.

Yours is an ignorant opinion, based on zero experience with EV's. But you get a break, because they are still largely unknown to the general public, most of whom likely are ill informed themselves. And, as technology improves, so will battery life. It's not a question of if, but when. You are old enough to remember when a clunky desktop computer cost $3000.00, and few people owned one. Guess what? History repeats.

They may not become ubiquitous, but when there are as many charging stations as gas stations, and charges times are 10 minutes, well, I can't say if they will outpace ICE vehicles, but that time will come as well someday, maybe not our lifetimes. Exceptions for rural areas still apply.
I think that you are wrong on the rural areas, and also the time for the changeover. Not only are solar panels coming down in price, plus there are now used ones that still have many years of life in them for about 1/4 the cost of new panels on the market, but the home batteries are also rapidly coming down in price, and now there are a lot of different ones on the market. As the batteries increase in energy storage, the range will increase until they exceed ICE vehicles in range. I expect that to happen by 2025. So a person in a rural area with a little land can not only own an EV that fits all their needs, but fuel it with the same solar setup that powers his home. There are a number of batteries in the labs right now that exceed the present batteries in use. At least some of them will be on the market in a year or two.

Most of the people with whom I work are young -- in their 20's and 30's -- and are quite disdainful of the EVs which have been forced upon us by the department (fortunately very few). They spend more time in the shop and given an option, they are always the last vehicles left in the garage. Not a single person with whom I work owns, or is considering owning, an EV. They are totally impractical for the region where I live and the lifestyle most of us live.

The only way for EV to become ubiquitous would be for government to ban their alternatives.
LOL. Within three blocks of me there are two Tesla 3's, and a Tesla Y. All owned by young people. And all are very satisfied with their cars. And this is a middle class neighborhood.

Well guys, sadly, EV's will not save the planet, they're not greatly better than ICE vehicles.

The European Energy Agency (EEA) report that an EV will produce 17% to 30% lower overall carbon emissions. That's right, a measly 17% to 30%.

So EV's have poor range, totally inconvenient on refueling, dangerous batteries not good for the environment, range anxiety and nose bleeding high cost, alarmists feel these are the planet saver?

Don't tell me, it's a start.

That said, the total carbon emissions of an electric car are between 17% and 30% lower than driving a petrol or diesel car, according to research by the European Energy Agency (EEA).

Looking forward to the alarmists copying and pasting from the Auto Trader site, whilst omitting the bulk of it.

That's now. That's after 100 years of gas guzzling cars, and after a few years of electric cars. What electric cars do well is keep the harmful pollution out of the cities.

That's now. That's after 100 years of gas guzzling cars, and after a few years of electric cars. What electric cars do well is keep the harmful pollution out of the cities.
It's transferred elsewhere in the environment, usually killing fish, poisoning the watercourses due to extracting the many raw materials. Also to extract cobalt in the Republic of the Congo, they use child labour. I'm sure you will boycott EV's on a moral basis to fight child labour.

Well guys, sadly, EV's will not save the planet, they're not greatly better than ICE vehicles.

The European Energy Agency (EEA) report that an EV will produce 17% to 30% lower overall carbon emissions. That's right, a measly 17% to 30%.

So EV's have poor range, totally inconvenient on refueling, dangerous batteries not good for the environment, range anxiety and nose bleeding high cost, alarmists feel these are the planet saver?

Don't tell me, it's a start.

That said, the total carbon emissions of an electric car are between 17% and 30% lower than driving a petrol or diesel car, according to research by the European Energy Agency (EEA).

Looking forward to the alarmists copying and pasting from the Auto Trader site, whilst omitting the bulk of it.
The fact is there is a pretty well defined tipping point where an EV becomes greener than an ICE.

The smaller the car the quicker it happens

The fact is there is a pretty well defined tipping point where an EV becomes greener than an ICE.

The smaller the car the quicker it happens

Yes, it's like getting the biggest air pocket when the Titanic went down. At least you initially felt good.

Or, the bullet was less harmful because I stood one foot further away.

Great wording, "More greener"

Yes, it's like getting the biggest air pocket when the Titanic went down. At least you initially felt good.
EVs are more dirty up front but like I said the smaller the EV the faster it reaches the tipping point where it becomes cleaner than a similar ICE.

Do you dispute this?

Blues Man can I ask, what are you expecting when cars have gone electric? Do you think the weather goes back to exactly what you experienced over your lifetime? What do you honestly think it will achieve?

Blues Man can I ask, what are you expecting when cars have gone electric? Do you think the weather goes back to exactly what you experienced over your lifetime? What do you honestly think it will achieve?
What does that have to do with the data?

I have never said everyone should be forced to drive an EV.

All i am doing is presenting some facts. Why do you have a problem with that?

EVs are more dirty up front but like I said the smaller the EV the faster it reaches the tipping point where it becomes cleaner than a similar ICE.

Do you dispute this?
No.

But what I'm saying is, a bullet hitting you is a bullet hitting you. It's just that, you're trying to claim the moral high ground because you stood one foot further away from the shooter and that makes a world of difference.

No.

But what I'm saying is, a bullet hitting you is a bullet hitting you. It's just that, you're trying to claim the moral high ground because you stood one foot further away from the shooter and that makes a world of difference.
I'm not claiming any moral authority.

All I did was present some data and you seem to have a problem with that so you take it personally.

Why is that?

What does that have to do with the data?

I have never said everyone should be forced to drive an EV.

All i am doing is presenting some facts. Why do you have a problem with that?
No, I'm asking you for your opinion. Imagine we all went EV over night, please describe what goal this has achieved, what does the weather do etc.. You are obviously trying to achieve something that's going to result in A, B and C.

Or are you just another alarmist on the band wagon giving sketchy rhetoric?

No, I'm asking you for your opinion. Imagine we all went EV over night, please describe what goal this has achieved, what does the weather do etc.. You are obviously trying to achieve something that's going to result in A, B and C.

Or are you just another alarmist on the band wagon giving sketchy rhetoric?
My opinion is that I think EVs have their place in the mix. I have always said that and I have never once claimed any moral high ground or stated that all cars should be EVs

you seem to get offended by the presentation of data though

I'm not claiming any moral authority.

All I did was present some data and you seem to have a problem with that so you take it personally.

Why is that?
I wouldn't hit the required mileage in an EV for it to greener than an ICE. Also, anyone who thinks it's cheaper due to refuelling savings, think again. The extra cost to buy one wipes hundreds of thousands of miles out.

I wouldn't hit the required mileage in an EV for it to greener than an ICE. Also, anyone who thinks it's cheaper due to refuelling savings, think again. The extra cost to buy one wipes hundreds of thousands of miles out.
REally?

so you never put 15K miles on a car?

ANd it's not just refueling

MAybe you should read the article I posted a link to

My opinion is that I think EVs have their place in the mix. I have always said that and I have never once claimed any moral high ground or stated that all cars should be EVs

you seem to get offended by the presentation of data though
I'm not offended by one piece of data to support EV's. When I try to present that bit of data in the full picture, people think I get offended by one bit of data.

One bit of data on it's own is 100% correct. One bit of data put into the full picture is often 99.9% wrong.

I'm not offended by one piece of data to support EV's. When I try to present that bit of data in the full picture, people think I get offended by one bit of data.

One bit of data on it's own is 100% correct. One bit of data put into the full picture is often 99.9% wrong.
It's not one bit of data.

If you actually read the article you would know that

Forum List

Back