EV's are starting to cost more to recharge than filling up an ICE vehicle

I personally think the EV concept needs a new approach. Instead of spending hours recharging the EV the user just swaps the discharged battery with a charged one. The exchange time would be les than it took to fill a standard car with gasoline.

View attachment 747522

You drive into a narrow lane just like you now drive into an auto carwash.

When you drive into this narrow lane a red light comes on. You engage your parking brake and then sit back while the exchanger exchanges your discharged battery with a charged one. Turnaround time would be about 5 minutes.
Comments
:)-
I believe it’s being looked into. The problem is, everyone that uses the service has to use the same car platform. It would be good for leasing and renting cars from one outfit. Until everything is unified, I don’t see it except in large cities with a common provider.

Which you do all the time. EVs are shit ? Why ? Because you can’t stand they are quiet, more efficient, more powerful and NON polluting
They cost more to buy, on average just over 50% more based on like for like.

An EU study found an EV reduces your ICE carbon footprint by only 17% to 30%, that's only if you give a fuck about carbon.

Over a third of motorists can't charge from home, why buy a kettle and take it down the road to make a coffee.

They're a fire hazard, once alight, no chance in extinguishing that battery fire.

Poor range. My van does nearly 500 miles on a full tank of diesel, 10 mins of my time at the pump. The same EV model has a "purported" range of 120 miles, plus you can't tow with it.

Poor charge time. Takes umpteen hours, or go plug in a supercharger at Upto 4 times the electric cost. Also, you've assumed it's on charge because a thief stole the cable, or charge rage, where someone unhooked your car to charge theirs up.

Taxation has started. Tax has been placed on public charge points. A blanket road tax is coming out in the UK in the near future. Government buying incentives are drying up.

What happens when you run out of electrons on the motorway? Plug in a AA battery, or wait whilst the breakdown truck charges it using a petrol generator?

More scrap yards are not taking end of life or written off EV's in if the battery is still fitted. That costs some $3,000-$5,000 to remove and discard.

Pollution, with the little gain in co2 saving, land surrounding the mines for the various elements needed to make Lithium batteries, are being severely polluted. Plus, more and more kids are being enslaved into mines.

Temperature. They suffer in the cold.

Power outages, planned or unplanned, can soon ruin your plans the next day if you need to rely on that nights/day charge.

Family of 4 or more. If in the event all 4 or 5 cars need charged that night, your household supply won't cope.

Range anxiety. Do I have enough range, will I get there.

^^^Those are the points so far off the top of my head.

They cost more to buy, on average just over 50% more based on like for like
You live in the world of luxury versions of EVs

Thats BS. Kia and Chevy bolt are UNDER 30 k with a $7500 tax credit. So you can get a Chevy bolt 5 passenger that goes 230 miles per charge with all the basic bells and whistles and is nearly maintenance free for 10 year…..for $19 k
All car makers make lower priced versions of pug in hybrids…
which is the better way to start.

An EU study found an EV reduces your ICE carbon footprint by only 17% to 30%, that's only if you give a fuck about carbon.
30% reduction is HUGE. not only that, but you fail to see the savings with no oil changes EVER. No tune ups, ever.
The batteries unlike car engines and transmissions, are recyclable.
Over a third of motorists can't charge from home, why buy a kettle and take it down the road to make a coffee.
then they buy a plug in hybrid dah. They charge over night on a 110 v outlet. What, you have no electricity at home ?
They're a fire hazard, once alight, no chance in extinguishing that battery fire.
Really. You know how many people have been killed in gasoline accident fires compared to EV fires ?
It’s thousands to ZERO. You read that correctly . You’re funny. More fear mongering.
Poor range. My van does nearly 500 miles on a full tank of diesel, 10 mins of my time at the pump. The same EV model has a "purported" range of 120 miles, plus you can't tow with it.

Poor charge time. Takes umpteen hours, or go plug in a supercharger at Upto 4 times the electric cost. Also, you've assumed it's on charge because a thief stole the cable, or charge rage, where someone unhooked your car to charge theirs up.

Taxation has started. Tax has been placed on public charge points. A blanket road tax is coming out in the UK in the near future. Government buying incentives are drying up.
and as that happens, the price of EVs has been dropping.
What happens when you run out of electrons on the motorway? Plug in a AA battery, or wait whilst the breakdown truck charges it using a petrol generator?

More scrap yards are not taking end of life or written off EV's in if the battery is still fitted. That costs some $3,000-$5,000 to remove and discard
Compared to FOSSIL fuel cars, is no where near as much.
Pollution, with the little gain in co2 saving, land surrounding the mines for the various elements needed to make Lithium batteries, are being severely polluted. Plus, more and more kids are being enslaved into mines.
Really. You know how much IC cars pollute .Guess not. The exotic metals used in internal combustion engines all require mining
Temperature. They suffer in the cold.
Nope, not like lead acid batteries. EVs use heat pumps. Nichol metal hydride batteries a northern lithium substitute has little to no cold weather degradation.
Power outages, planned or unplanned, can soon ruin your plans the next day if you need to rely on that nights/day charge.
Really ? You think gasoline pumps run with a major power outage ? ICE cars are totally dependent upon electricity to run. You’re funny. Power outages already cause hardships worse then changing your car. We have an auto generator that can easily charge an EV while maintaining the house.
Family of 4 or more. If in the event all 4 or 5 cars need charged that night, your household supply won't cope.
You obvious don’t know much about about EVs. You really think the average family is running out and buying 4 EVs before the infrastructure catches up ?
you’re delusional .
Range anxiety. Do I have enough range, will I get there
Really. 95% of EV owners charge their cars at night at home. You actually drive more then 200 miles a day ?
Hilarious. The option for people with range anxiety, is plug in hybrids. Within ten years, charge times will be down to minutes in the newer EVs being sold.
^^^Those are the points so far off the top of my head.
Not many are really valid. EVs are in their infancy. They only make up 3% of the total of cars being sold. As the infrastructure grows, the sales will increase. Everyone has options to slowly dip their toes into EVs. Hybrids and plug in hybrids are for average people not there yet.

Right now it’s all fear mongering on deniers part.
There will be nothing to fear ever. But rest assured EVs are the future. Deal with it. You have the same fears when we gave up riding horses to commute to work.

Last edited:
You live in the world of luxury versions of EVs

Thats BS. Kia and Chevy bolt are UNDER 30 k with a $7500 tax credit. So you can get a Chevy bolt 5 passenger that goes 230 miles per charge with all the basic bells and whistles and is nearly maintenance free for 10 year…..for $19 k
All car makers make lower priced versions of pug in hybrids…
which is the better way to start.

30% reduction is HUGE. not only that, but you fail to see the savings with no oil changes EVER. No tune ups, ever.
The batteries unlike car engines and transmissions, are recyclable.

then they buy a plug in hybrid dah. They charge over night on a 110 v outlet. What, you have no electricity at home ?

Really. You know how many people have been killed in gasoline accident fires compared to EV fires ?
It’s thousands to ZERO. You read that correctly . You’re funny. More fear mongering.

and as that happens, the price of EVs has been dropping.

Compared to FOSSIL fuel cars, is no where near as much.

Really. You know how much IC cars pollute .Guess not. The exotic metals used in internal combustion engines all require mining

Nope, not like lead acid batteries. EVs use heat pumps. Nichol metal hydride batteries a northern lithium substitute has little to no cold weather degradation.

Really ? You think gasoline pumps run with a major power outage ? ICE cars are totally dependent upon electricity to run. You’re funny. Power outages already cause hardships worse then changing your car. We have an auto generator that can easily charge an EV while maintaining the house.

You obvious don’t know much about about EVs. You really think the average family is running out and buying 4 EVs before the infrastructure catches up ?
you’re delusional .

Really. 95% of EV owners charge their cars at night at home. You actually drive more then 200 miles a day ?
Hilarious. The option for people with range anxiety, is plug in hybrids. Within ten years, charge times will be down to minutes in the newer EVs being sold.

Not many are really valid. EVs are in their infancy. They only make up 3% of the total of cars being sold. As the infrastructure grows, the sales will increase. Everyone has options to slowly dip their toes into EVs. Hybrids and plug in hybrids are for average people not there yet.

Right now it’s all fear mongering on deniers part.
There will be nothing to fear ever. But rest assured EVs are the future. Deal with it. You have the same fears when we gave up riding horses to commute to work.
Can't be done with that multiple post shit.

Either do one full post, or shove your Gran up your arse.

If you don't like certain options, don't opt for them.

No problem with option. But, forget about legislating the use of EV or subsidizing their cost with taxpayer dollars. If there is a market for EVs, let the market decide who buys them and what we pay for them.

No problem with option. But, forget about legislating the use of EV or subsidizing their cost with taxpayer dollars. If there is a market for EVs, let the market decide who buys them and what we pay for them.

I don't support taxpayer support for the purchase of things.

Too much to read ? Sorry. We‘ll make it shorter next time.
See spot run, run spot run.
I already did my post and I know my post, so to read someone's post that dissects my post, it means I'm just reading my post again in snippets between useless snippet replies.

Oversized, over-powered electric vehicle deserve all the problems they can have, just as all other oversized, over-weight and over-powered vehicles do.
Reasonable electric and other powered vehicles could be useful, but egoistic tastes prevent a better world.

I heard in the news a few months ago that it was only 1p per mile cheaper to charge an EV compared to fuelling up your ICE vehicle. This depended on which charging point you used. Looks like that this has now flipped, depending on how you charge, circumstances etc.. an EV costs more to recharge than refueling an ICE vehicle.

There are some interesting points in the article, but the pro-EVer's rhetoric is beginning to fall apart. They've always cost more to buy and they're beginning to cost more to recharge. Over a third can't charge a car at home and are therefore subjected to the higher charge point costs (if you can find one, and find one working). And road tax for an EV is on the way in 2025 for those EV's registered after 2017.

We've endured the EVer's rhetoric for a few years now, despite the warnings from the adults. "We told you so" is nearly upon us. And as we approach the 2030 deadline, EV's will burn your pocket in the name of trying to reduce your carbon footprint by 17% to 30% towards a cause that was going to wipe mankind out by the year 2000.

My son that owns a Tesla has been telling me that for a long time now.

He lives in Atlanta and will occasionally drive here to Central Florida to visit us.

Not only does the trip take an extra couple of hours for charging but the cost of charging is about what it would cost for gas.

EVs suck.

A five passenger, 800 kg car with a 30kw motor and the battery capacity of a Tesla could travel 1000 km. It is the insistence on "too big, too heavy, too powerful" that limits electric cars. The same problems are the reason gasoline is so expensive. It is preference, not technology, that is holding us back.

A five passenger, 800 kg car with a 30kw motor and the battery capacity of a Tesla could travel 1000 km. It is the insistence on "too big, too heavy, too powerful" that limits electric cars. The same problems are the reason gasoline is so expensive. It is preference, not technology, that is holding us back.
My son's Tesla has the premium extended life battery. Probably the best available in the industry. He can barely keep it charged up for his daily (30min one way) commute. He told me they hardly even uses it on the weekends because it needs extra charging to keep it going through the week and that is with nightly charging in his garage.

He also tells me that when it is cold the battery gets significantly less mileage per charge. He gets less mileage with the family as passengers.

I doubt there will ever be a L-I battery pack that vehicle can get 600-700 miles on a single charge for a normal size vehicle. The technology just isn't there.

Forum List

Back