Ever get a dream within a dream

Quasar44

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
When I inc my meds I have gotten 2 in a month.

I am consciously aware I am dreaming and I talk to myself from conscious to dream .

I usually say to my dream self that I am dreaming and I am afraid I am going to wake up

Odd

OP if you keep having dreams like that you should start your own religion. Worked out pretty good for Mohammad didn't it?

I am consciously aware I am dreaming and I talk to myself from conscious to dream .

I usually say to my dream self that I am dreaming and I am afraid I am going to wake up

Odd
Sounds like the meds need adjusting again.

Odd
Its called "lucid dreaming". Some people are envious of those who can achieve it because, not everyone can. It allows you to do anything in your dream that you want (once you realize you are dreaming, you can decide to fly, for example)), but the more conscious control you exert, the more you start to wake up.

I had frequent bouts of sleep paralysis as a kid. They terrified me because it seemed like I was in the grips of some sort of demonic presence. There is a rational explanation for it, though, as it has to do with R.E.M. states.

I learned to just climb my way back to full consciousness and they stopped frightening me. .

Its called "lucid dreaming". Some people are envious of those who can achieve it because, not everyone can. It allows you to do anything in your dream that you want (once you realize you are dreaming, you can decide to fly, for example)), but the more conscious control you exert, the more you start to wake up.
I had a shared dream once.

I was in my late teens hitchhiking up the California coast and a woman close to my age picked me up. We hit it off, so when night fell, we decided to sleep on the beach in Mendicino County. I had this horrible dream that wasn't really quite lucid, I suppose, but in the dream there was a stalker in the cliffs above us intent on killing us, and my perspective kept changing from me looking up at him and him looking down at us.

I awoke terrified, and as soon as I raised my head, she was looking at me also terrified. One of us said "let's" and the other said "get out of here" and we ran back to the car and sped off.

She had the exact same dream I had down to ever single detail including the shifting perspective. It has been 50 years now, and I still cannot explain it.

I hate the dreams where evil is real and, at a certain point I think "No, this must be a dream" then I have to make a huge effort just to open my eyes to get out of it. Only to be in another, different more benign dream where I can't believe I bought into that shit.

Odd
What you're experiencing is called "lucid dreaming" which is when a dreamer becomes aware that they are asleep and dreaming. Because this was happening to me on a fairly regular basis I sought out information on the phenomenon and discovered the Lucidity Institute in San Francisco around the time I was a pre-teen.

The Lucidity Institute - Wikipedia

Try testing yourself while you're dreaming and seeing if you can direct your dreams to any extent.

I've always found the whole alternative state of consciousness fascinating.

What I find the most revealing about such events is that they are every bit as "real" as what one experiences in "normal", "waking" life. In other words, how can one "know" which is "real"?

I had frequent bouts of sleep paralysis as a kid. They terrified me because it seemed like I was in the grips of some sort of demonic presence. There is a rational explanation for it, though, as it has to do with R.E.M. states.

I learned to just climb my way back to full consciousness and they stopped frightening me. .
sleep paralysis is a symptom of sleep apnea....

The first time I experienced sleep paralysis was like my first lucid dream....I thought; well, this is cool.

Since I had been studying both for awhile, neither freaked me out like it does so many others, so I was free to enjoy the experiences for what they are.

Forum List

Back