EV Bus Explodes

What does that have to do with the orders of magnitude shortfall of lithium to build enough batteries to replace every ICE vehicle? That is the goal, right?

And again you don't seem to know the difference between an energy source and the storage for said energy.

Kind of stunning, but I guess it takes all kinds.

And again you don't seem to know the difference between an energy source and the storage for said energy.

So no lithium is needed to make batteries to hold the charge equivalent to what is burned in ICE vehicles each day?

This is hilarious that you can't acknowledge the shortfall in lithium production necessary to make enough batteries to replace ICE vehicles. This is why no one believes anything you guys say. You can't be honest about the existing gaps and issues with trying to swap out to EV's.

Pay not attention to the man behind the curtain... there is not shortfall in lithium production. Give me a break.

A few cell phones ago, back when the batteries were still removable, I had a battery that was swelling, to the point that it would no longer fit properly in the phone. It was a long shot, but I wondered if I carefully pieced the outer cover, if it might let some gas pressure out, allowing the battery to shrink back to its proper size.

I was treated to a rather spectacular pyrotechnic display. Fortunately, I was able to get the battery out to a concrete patio, away from anything flammable, before it set me or my home on fire.

From what I observed of this cell phone battery, I have to imagine that if you scale it up to the size that would be necessary to power an electric car, and managed to set it off, the results could very easily be quite catastrophic.

I have a swollen laptop battery from my wife's laptop computer, that I've been saving with the intent of setting my camera up to record a video, and setting off in a more controlled manner than what happened with the aforementioned cell phone battery.
Do you remember the Samsung Note 7 batteries that spontaneously exploded in large numbers, resulting in a recall and an FAA ban on any such phones being brought on airplanes?

Crude oil can be created from readily replenishable materials in hours.

Yeah, probably not quite scalable just yet.

And the question remains: why would you want to do it? We have a ton of renewables, why stick with straight-up combustion all the time? The value of this hypothetical new carbon-->fuel system is it can effectively be carbon neutral. But the good money is on the technology that has already had a few decades to incubate and is far more scalable than this proposal.

The other thing to think about is: making petroleum from algae will require a lot of energy. There is no free lunch, obviously, and if you are going to simply re-create what the earth does naturally you are going to have to make up all that energy that goes into diagenesis and catagenesis, even with a suite of catalysts.

Someone elsewhere was talking about the brilliance of sequestering CO2 and then re-forming it to make burnable hydrocarbons. Yes it has been shown to be possible, and yes it would be carbon neutral, but the cost and the ability to scale it are so far off in the future that it effectively becomes useless to us in the moment.

Oh c'mon. You surely had an economic geology class at SOME time, didn't you?

When a given resource becomes more scarce, lower quality "grades" of that resource are exploited. The Alberta Tar Sands tells us that we want more oil than we have as easy access to.

And the fracking boom in the US was only economical when Saudi oil prices were elevated. The market is going up and down and up and down. We have no real idea of how much the Saudis are sitting on since no one is legally bound to give accurate reserve estimates.

When we start fracking and stimulating wells we are putting more money into the process. And when we start pulling kerogen and tar out and processing it to be petroleum it looks to me like we are doing exactly what you are taught in economic geology classes. We are going after lower quality, more expensive grades of the resource.

And no one has ever died of burns in an ICE car? Let's check.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, over a period of 10 years, the fire departments responded to approximately 2 million vehicle fires in Florida. These fires resulted in 400,000 deaths, 130,000 injured passengers, and over $10 billion in property damage.
Those stats will be dwarfed by EV's.

Oh c'mon. You surely had an economic geology class at SOME time, didn't you?

When a given resource becomes more scarce, lower quality "grades" of that resource are exploited. The Alberta Tar Sands tells us that we want more oil than we have as easy access to.

And the fracking boom in the US was only economical when Saudi oil prices were elevated. The market is going up and down and up and down. We have no real idea of how much the Saudis are sitting on since no one is legally bound to give accurate reserve estimates.

When we start fracking and stimulating wells we are putting more money into the process. And when we start pulling kerogen and tar out and processing it to be petroleum it looks to me like we are doing exactly what you are taught in economic geology classes. We are going after lower quality, more expensive grades of the resource.
I took engineering economics. Is there even such a thing as geologic economics.

Hydraulic fracturing has been around since the early 1960’s, dummy.

Yes lowest cost resources are extracted first. But that has no bearing on oil running out anytime soon. Peak oil has been predicted many times and every time it was wrong.

And don’t forget natural gas cause that’s a massive resource.

LOL. It's called economic geology.

Please stop calling names. Thanks.
I think you are making that up.

I'll stop calling you dummy - which is a term of familiar affection - when you stop saying dumb things. FYI pretty much every well gets hydraulically fractured to improve productivity. The only exceptions I am aware of are low pressure water sensitive formations like the Granite Wash in the Texas Panhandle, high stress areas like in the Caspian Sea and North Sea and offshore Africa wells which chose to complete with high angle (i.e. horizontal) open hole gravel packs. And maybe the Middle East due to scarcity of water.

Of course you do. You don't know much about the earth sciences.

However you need to justify your actions. I see you are untouchable so I guess I'll have to put up with non-stop name calling.

Thanks for the warning.
You get from me what you put in. If you want to see me as some guy who doesn't know what he's talking about, that only makes things easier for me.

Forum List

Back