Etch-A-Sketch Master

I'm an arist and I got pretty close to doing that shit until I asked mysef "what the fuck are you doing."

That was the end of that...

That shit takes like 10-20 hours to do..

I believe I have a few laying round somewhere that I did way back..

500 bucks a pop... Actually my aunt has an art gallery up in Seattle and she wanted them since I was 12... hahaha

I never had the patience for one of those, but admire those of you who can.

I took my case to Engineering paper and a box of inexpensive coloring pencils (least expensive just when school start sales happen July-September), and it suits me.

I work in 1" squares of cloth--maps, geometrics, florals, etc. It's fun.

When I taught classes, I used black ink sharpies on engineering paper. The blue does not show up when you photocopy the pattern grid. On the old printer, we had to adjust the value scale a little sometimes when it got ambitious in its printing.

My etch-a-sketches always got tussled around, nothing like destroying half a day's work reaching for a glass of water.

Not!

I never had the patience for one of those, but admire those of you who can.

I took my case to Engineering paper and a box of inexpensive coloring pencils (least expensive just when school start sales happen July-September), and it suits me.

I work in 1" squares of cloth--maps, geometrics, florals, etc. It's fun.

When I taught classes, I used black ink sharpies on engineering paper. The blue does not show up when you photocopy the pattern grid. On the old printer, we had to adjust the value scale a little sometimes when it got ambitious in its printing.

My etch-a-sketches always got tussled around, nothing like destroying half a day's work reaching for a glass of water.

Not!

The hard part is that you cannot mess up.

In theory it's perfection...

There is no eraser.

You fuck up half way through and it's done - there is no going back - you have to start from the beginning.

Anybody watch BREAKING BAD?

I ask because in one episode, the protagonist uses the stuff inside of etcha sketch to create a THERMITE device.

I just wonder if it is true that the stuff inside of an etch-a-sketch is really one of the components with one can make a thermite device.

I think it is a kind of highly milled metal, right?

FYI, here's Wiki's note on Thermite

Thermites can be a diverse class of compositions. Some "fuels" that can be used include aluminium, magnesium, calcium, titanium, zinc, silicon, and boron and others. One commonly-used fuel in thermite mixtures is aluminium, because of its high boiling point. The oxidizers can be boron(III) oxide, silicon(IV) oxide, chromium(III) oxide, manganese(IV) oxide, iron(III) oxide, iron(II,III) oxide, copper(II) oxide, and lead(II,III,IV) oxide and others.[1]

Last edited:

Forum List

Back