Escaping Christianity

I was raised in church, married a Christian, raised my kids in church and currently teach Bible at a Christian school. At the end of this school year (May 2020) I plan to resign as a teacher and stop attending church for one full year. At the end of that year I plan to have my name removed from the church role and afterwards make my atheism public. I love the philosphy, ethics and the culture surrounding Christianity. I just can't live a lie any more. It just can't be healthy. This invisible and silent God dude offers me nothing. I love the Bible and learn a lot from it but the God dude in that book either doesn't exist or has no interest in me. Church attendance is more burdensome than it used to be. I learn more from the Bible studying independently. Kindergarten might be fun for a 6 year old but is painfully boring to a 40 year old.

Any questions? I have lots more to say but I already feel like the post was too long.
If you really thought this, you'd quit right now, not in a year when it is most convenient for you.

I call BS.

Congratulations. Coming out has been a 7 year process. I don't have the same luxuries you do. Jesus, God, the Bible, Church and all that is everything in my world. It is nothing like walking out on a job that sucks. I am in the process of destroying my entire identi ty, my wife's identity, my kid's identity, my parent's identity and even the identity of my wife's parents. This is a painful and methodical process and I see the light at the end of the tunnel. Anyways. Congratulations on knowing everything about leaving religion and how easy it is.
You're a person who has no convictions. Otherwise, you'd have followed through with them. You also would not be having an open discussion of your private laundry on an internet forum.

The only conclusions that can be reached are you are either

A) Seeking justification and support from others

B) You are trolling to see the responses you can get.

I think you are in the B category.

Congratulations. You are a genuis.

I was raised in church, married a Christian, raised my kids in church and currently teach Bible at a Christian school. At the end of this school year (May 2020) I plan to resign as a teacher and stop attending church for one full year. At the end of that year I plan to have my name removed from the church role and afterwards make my atheism public. I love the philosphy, ethics and the culture surrounding Christianity. I just can't live a lie any more. It just can't be healthy. This invisible and silent God dude offers me nothing. I love the Bible and learn a lot from it but the God dude in that book either doesn't exist or has no interest in me. Church attendance is more burdensome than it used to be. I learn more from the Bible studying independently. Kindergarten might be fun for a 6 year old but is painfully boring to a 40 year old.

Any questions? I have lots more to say but I already feel like the post was too long.
If you really thought this, you'd quit right now, not in a year when it is most convenient for you.

I call BS.

Congratulations. Coming out has been a 7 year process. I don't have the same luxuries you do. Jesus, God, the Bible, Church and all that is everything in my world. It is nothing like walking out on a job that sucks. I am in the process of destroying my entire identi ty, my wife's identity, my kid's identity, my parent's identity and even the identity of my wife's parents. This is a painful and methodical process and I see the light at the end of the tunnel. Anyways. Congratulations on knowing everything about leaving religion and how easy it is.
You're a person who has no convictions. Otherwise, you'd have followed through with them. You also would not be having an open discussion of your private laundry on an internet forum.

The only conclusions that can be reached are you are either

A) Seeking justification and support from others

B) You are trolling to see the responses you can get.

I think you are in the B category.

By the way, in my religious world there is no cruelity, abuse, corruption or any negative aspect to it. Leaving is very stupid if you think about it. So there is that to consider too. There is every incentive in the world to lie about who I am just to stay in the amazing club. You have no idea what I am dealing wkth. don't pretend you do. Just be happy for me.

By the way, in my religious world there is no cruelity, abuse, corruption or any negative aspect to it. Leaving is very stupid if you think about it. So there is that to consider too. There is every incentive in the world to lie about who I am just to stay in the amazing club. You have no idea what I am dealing wkth. don't pretend you do. Just be happy for me.

Okay, I'm an atheist... I stopped believing when I was 22, after my parents passed away and Catholicism just became a lot of sanctimonious bullshit to me.

It should not be taking you seven years to walk away. Either you believe or you don't.

Lying to everyone you know, this isn't a good solution, either. Assuming your family are still down with Jesus, you should at least be honest with them.

Okay, I'm an atheist... I stopped believing when I was 22, after my parents passed away and Catholicism just became a lot of sanctimonious bullshit to me.

It should not be taking you seven years to walk away. Either you believe or you don't.

Lying to everyone you know, this isn't a good solution, either. Assuming your family are still down with Jesus, you should at least be honest with them.

My wife and kids know everything.

They've seen your browser history?

Then what's the issue? .

My daughters who are in 8th grade and 11th grade attend a very conservative Christian school. They do not allow Catholics or Mormons to attend the school. The school administration actually does care whether I am an atheist or not. My kids can be removed from the school for having an element in their environment that obstructed their mini theocracy.

Sure, you could say, "forget your kids. They don't matter." I just don't feel that way. My oldest daughter is in a fierce race to be valedictorian. I am almost certain she would never forgive me for screwing that up. My relationship with my daughter is more important than what some guy on a message board thinks.

They've seen your browser history?

Probably but I also talk to them a lot.

the world has far more places than not for you gimps to run to to get away from Da Ebul Xians, but you faggots and whiners won't leave for some reason, just continue to whine as if we're supposed to give a shit about your neurotic bullshit 'needs'. Why is that? If you're so tortured by the existence of morals and principles just move to Red China, Russia, or Iran, or Somalia, or the Sudan, India, Indonesia, there are hundreds of thousands of places you can escape to.Do you dumbass deviants really think if you finally turn the U.S. into the same 'atheist Xian hating paradises' it will be any different than the places that are already paradises for your ilk?

Last edited:

the world has far more places than not for you gimps to run to to get away from Da Ebul Xians, but you faggots and whiners won't leave for some reason, just continue to whine as if we're suppose to give a shit about your neurotic bullshit 'needs'.

Was that English?

the world has far more places than not for you gimps to run to to get away from Da Ebul Xians, but you faggots and whiners won't leave for some reason, just continue to whine as if we're suppose to give a shit about your neurotic bullshit 'needs'.

Was that English?

Ah, so your excuse is you're just a another spoiled whiney titty baby who thinks everybody else in the country should cater to your latest mindless inanities. We already knew that. Can't tell us the real reason you don't want to leave.

Was that English?

Ah, so your excuse is you're just a another spoiled whiney titty baby who thinks everybody else in the country should cater to your latest mindless inanities. We already knew that. Can't tell us the real reason you don't want to leave.

It is impractical, expensive and probably wouldn't benefit me. FYI: The United States constitution requires the government to allow free exercise of religion. I am not obligated under penalty of death to continue pretending to believe in fairy tales. If the United States killed people for a lack of belief in God then you better believe I would keep it to myself.

You wouldn't even know my situation in order to be mad at me. You could just pretend 100% of everyone that attends church believes exactly as you do. There are tons of atheists sitting in the pew that will never be honest about it because it is too much hassle. Killing people for what they think doesn't make them believe what the killers want them to believe. It only forces them to be silent about what they believe. You are a delusional moron.

Are you even interested in having a discussion? For some reason I don't think you can.

I respectfully disagree.

A lot of former pastors have joined the Clergy Project, for example, having regretted the years that they and their families spent in the church.

To turn atheist after years in the church is to shed an identity. Killing the old self must be difficult; it leads to shunning and isolation, maybe even suicide; people need community.

Of course, I don't mean identity as a Christian so much as I mean identity as a church-goer or leader.

People do it.

No doubt...people do leave the church to pursue a life of sin without the guilt. This happens all the time. The church compels folks to be and do better...some grow tired of being and doing better and the level of accountability that comes with that. In these times it is not simple to live a life that God is proud of. I get it...but for one to imply that the church has held them back is just plain retarded....The church only helps people be and do better...the church is only effective in such when people are there to be and do better.
Atheists don't pursue a life of sin. Sin matters not one whit to them. They don't believe in it.

True, the church has been a tremendous asset to civilization. And by the church, of course, I mean the body, first transformed by the Holy Spirit so as to transform the world. Christians had in their ranks a new and unbridled power of regeneration. The Holy Spirit is freedom (2 Cor 3:17). He is a liberating influence that God unleashed on the earth through His living vessels sculpted for honorable use to do good works (2 Tm 2:21).

In the words of the Master himself, the Holy Spirit is the power of forgiveness and Spirit of truth (Jn 20:22-23; 14:17). He is the power of a divinely-inspired ethical standard that ultimately relegated the apostasy of the Jews and the moral relativism of the pagans to the dustbin of history.

The church on the street corner, on the other hand, is quite different. It is a weekly Sunday school and the same tired message from the pulpit. Naturally, unbelievers would fall away from that.

I agreed with all you said til you got to the end. If the Believers are indwelt by the Holy Spirit how can the "church on the street corner" have the "same old tired message" from the pulpit? Now I DO agree that this message might seem tired to unbelievers. To Believers, however, it's not...at all.
The church on the street corner is losing its congregation. People are not showing up to hear the reruns, which, by the way, are not the gospel.

The church on the street corner has created a dualistic message of heaven and hell, contrary to the message of the Bible. It's a farce, and people are no longer believing it.

If it's not the Gospel, you're in the wrong church
God judges people and sends them to heaven or hell. If that's the gospel, show me where.

I can show you in the Bible exactly what the gospel is. It is not a heaven and hell dichotomy.

I call BS.

Shedding your Christian identity is very difficult, even if you weren't really a Christian.

Is your wife a Christian or is she realizing that she has been unequally yoked?

No doubt...people do leave the church to pursue a life of sin without the guilt. This happens all the time. The church compels folks to be and do better...some grow tired of being and doing better and the level of accountability that comes with that. In these times it is not simple to live a life that God is proud of. I get it...but for one to imply that the church has held them back is just plain retarded....The church only helps people be and do better...the church is only effective in such when people are there to be and do better.
Atheists don't pursue a life of sin. Sin matters not one whit to them. They don't believe in it.

True, the church has been a tremendous asset to civilization. And by the church, of course, I mean the body, first transformed by the Holy Spirit so as to transform the world. Christians had in their ranks a new and unbridled power of regeneration. The Holy Spirit is freedom (2 Cor 3:17). He is a liberating influence that God unleashed on the earth through His living vessels sculpted for honorable use to do good works (2 Tm 2:21).

In the words of the Master himself, the Holy Spirit is the power of forgiveness and Spirit of truth (Jn 20:22-23; 14:17). He is the power of a divinely-inspired ethical standard that ultimately relegated the apostasy of the Jews and the moral relativism of the pagans to the dustbin of history.

The church on the street corner, on the other hand, is quite different. It is a weekly Sunday school and the same tired message from the pulpit. Naturally, unbelievers would fall away from that.

I agreed with all you said til you got to the end. If the Believers are indwelt by the Holy Spirit how can the "church on the street corner" have the "same old tired message" from the pulpit? Now I DO agree that this message might seem tired to unbelievers. To Believers, however, it's not...at all.
The church on the street corner is losing its congregation. People are not showing up to hear the reruns, which, by the way, are not the gospel.

The church on the street corner has created a dualistic message of heaven and hell, contrary to the message of the Bible. It's a farce, and people are no longer believing it.

God judges people and sends them to heaven or hell. If that's the gospel, show me where.

I can show you in the Bible exactly what the gospel is. It is not a heaven and hell dichotomy.

The references to heaven and hell in the Bible are excessively vague. Don't worry though. A 19th century religious movement known as evangelical Christianity clearly defined heaven and hell for us. Evangelicals don't need no stinking Bibles to figure out what God wants. They just blindly follow a flawed tradition. There is no need in investigating. Think about it. "I am good and going to heaven. Others are bad and going to hell." Most humans would love to believe that. Why prove the flawed logic wrong when the flawed logic is immensely emotionally rewarding? People usually believe what is fun. Heaven and hell is fun if you know you are one of the heaven bound ones.

Last edited:

I call BS.

Shedding your Christian identity is very difficult, even if you weren't really a Christian.

Is your wife a Christian or is she realizing that she has been unequally yoked?

My wife loves me unconditionally. She would never say it but she loves me more than she loves God.

She is going to let me use our house for pursuits that are contrary to her Christian values. That is another story but no. I will not lose my wife over this. I am confident of that.

The references to heaven and hell in the Bible are excessively vague. Don't worry though. A 19th century religious movement known as evangelical Christianity clearly defined heaven and hell for us. Evangelicals don't need no stinking Bibles to figure out what God wants. They just blindly follow a flawed tradition. There is no need in investigating. Think about it. "I am good and going to heaven. Others are bad and going to hell." Most humans would love to believe that. Why prove the flawed logic wrong when the flawed logic is immensely emotionally rewarding.
Christians don't know the Bible nearly as well as they know Increase and Cotton Mather, John Nelson Darby, the Plymouth Brethren, and C.I. Scofield, and half of them probably don't recognize those names.

I think you don't really know the Bible, either. People who leave the church because they're dissatisfied or unfulfilled or whatever typically leave traditional, fundamentalist churches.

Last edited:
Christians don't know the Bible nearly as well as they know Increase and Cotton Mather, John Nelson Darby, the Plymouth Brotherhood, and C.I. Scofield, and half of them probably don't recognize those names
I dont know who ANY of those are. Should i?

Was that English?

It is impractical, expensive and probably wouldn't benefit me. FYI: The United States constitution requires the government to allow free exercise of religion. I am not obligated under penalty of death to continue pretending to believe in fairy tales. If the United States killed people for a lack of belief in God then you better believe I would keep it to myself.

So you will continue to pay taxes to a state that tolerates Da Ebuls Of Xianity. You're too much of a coward to go live among your fellow atheists and assorted Xian haters. You seem to feel like living among the alternatives to be far worse, on top of being 'inconvenient' for you, but you still think the country is supposed to cater to your whining and make sure you aren't exposed to that Ebul religion.

You stay here because Xians here are far more tolerant than your fellow atheists and Xian bashers; you're just a parasite, is all.

You wouldn't even know my situation in order to be mad at me. You could just pretend 100% of everyone that attends church believes exactly as you do.

I know a sniveling crybaby when I see one. I'm also not a Christian, and I get along just fine here; they do a lot of grand wonderful things, even as a minority here, while I don't see any comparable benefits from the raving deviants who hate them, left or right wing. You can just pretend 100% of atheists believe exactly as you do, speaking of 'fairy tales'.

There are tons of atheists sitting in the pew that will never be honest about it because it is too much hassle. Killing people for what they think doesn't make them believe what the killers want them to believe. It only forces them to be silent about what they believe. You are a delusional moron.

lol says the deviant loon babbling and ranting here about feeling like he has to be a suck ass, then raving about killing people for some reason. Your knee jerk reactionary lunacy gives you away.

Are you even interested in having a discussion? For some reason I don't think you can.

You wouldn't know how to have one, as you've already demonstrated with smears and idiotic sophistry,

Last edited:

Forum List

Back