Epicurious is righting cultural wrongs one recipe at a time

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
With a new Black editor in chief and ambitious promises to do better, a little corner of the Conde Nast universe is taking on racial and cultural injustice one recipe at a time.

Since July, the small staff at Epicurious, a resource site for home cooks, has been scouring 55 years’ worth of recipes from a variety of Conde Nast magazines in search of objectionable titles, ingredient lists and stories told through a white American lens.

“It came after Black Lives Matter, after a lot of consciousness-raising among the editors and staff,” said David Tamarkin, the white digital director for Epicurious. “It came out of conversations that we had about how we can do better, where are we failing and where have our predecessors failed?”

Called the Archive Repair Project, the work is also an outgrowth of complaints and controversies at Conde Nast. But it’s just one effort on a full plate of initiatives, said Sonia Chopra, who’s been executive editor of Bon Appetit and Epicurious for about four months, working under the new editor in chief, Dawn Davis.

In all, the 25-year-old site (with a staff of 10) is a repository of a massive 35,000 recipes from Bon Appetit, Gourmet, Self, House & Garden and Epicurious itself. They stretch back to 1965.

I never bought Bon Appetit or Gourmet for their stories. I bought it for the recipes and some of the ads in the back way before the interwebs. I bought the issues from September through December. These magazines were not meant for those in my income bracket. This is not a place people gravitated to for authentic anything. There was a section where people could write in for a recipe from a restaurant. I didn't go there to learn how to cook authentic anything. I don't go to the website to learn how to cook anything at all. Any time that I pick up a more current magazine, I don't cook anything out of it.

Screw a bunch of nitwittery BS on "cultural appropriation" of food. These people are trying to figure out where they stand in an area that has grown in a multitude of ways without them in the last 20 years.

With a new Black editor in chief and ambitious promises to do better, a little corner of the Conde Nast universe is taking on racial and cultural injustice one recipe at a time.

Since July, the small staff at Epicurious, a resource site for home cooks, has been scouring 55 years’ worth of recipes from a variety of Conde Nast magazines in search of objectionable titles, ingredient lists and stories told through a white American lens.

“It came after Black Lives Matter, after a lot of consciousness-raising among the editors and staff,” said David Tamarkin, the white digital director for Epicurious. “It came out of conversations that we had about how we can do better, where are we failing and where have our predecessors failed?”

Called the Archive Repair Project, the work is also an outgrowth of complaints and controversies at Conde Nast. But it’s just one effort on a full plate of initiatives, said Sonia Chopra, who’s been executive editor of Bon Appetit and Epicurious for about four months, working under the new editor in chief, Dawn Davis.

In all, the 25-year-old site (with a staff of 10) is a repository of a massive 35,000 recipes from Bon Appetit, Gourmet, Self, House & Garden and Epicurious itself. They stretch back to 1965.

I never bought Bon Appetit or Gourmet for their stories. I bought it for the recipes and some of the ads in the back way before the interwebs. I bought the issues from September through December. These magazines were not meant for those in my income bracket. This is not a place people gravitated to for authentic anything. There was a section where people could write in for a recipe from a restaurant. I didn't go there to learn how to cook authentic anything. I don't go to the website to learn how to cook anything at all. Any time that I pick up a more current magazine, I don't cook anything out of it.

Screw a bunch of nitwittery BS on "cultural appropriation" of food. These people are trying to figure out where they stand in an area that has grown in a multitude of ways without them in the last 20 years.

Oh, yeah, I like magazines and I am seeing it in all I subscribe to. The New Yorker has nothing but blacks now -- photographs, articles, stories, in the cartoons; BAKE has stories about black bakeries and black baked goods (?); Vogue Knitting is solid black models, and as a very long-time knitter and attendant at knitting fairs and markets and groups, I KNOW black women don't knit. But they did manage to find one for the last issue and she wrote a thing about how awful it is that whites ----- you can guess the rest. Nothing about actual knitting, of course. Just whining. I didn't read much of it, but I bet she doesn't knit at all, or just started.

What I think, Disir, is that it's appeasement because the BLM rioting has scared so many people. This will just make for more rioting because that's how appeasement works, but it shows that it's crucial for the Establishment to be afraid of conservatives, as they have been since Wednesday. Otherwise they will simply give everything away to the BLM and antifas and there will be nothing left.

Ruh roh. I have kaffir lime leaves in my spice cabinet. Should I look out for black helicopters?

Ruh roh. I have kaffir lime leaves in my spice cabinet. Should I look out for black helicopters?
I have za'atar, pasilla chiles and a bottle of harrisa in my cabinet. I'm entirely too close to a military base to be paranoid. Just my cookbooks would take me down.

I have za'atar, pasilla chiles and a bottle of harrisa in my cabinet. I'm entirely too close to a military base to be paranoid. Just my cookbooks would take me down.

Damn. Forgot about the Harissa. And the Ras al Hanout and the Iraqi curry.
I'm gonna go to that cabinet right now and separate the Indian and Pakistani stuff.

Oh, yeah, I like magazines and I am seeing it in all I subscribe to. The New Yorker has nothing but blacks now -- photographs, articles, stories, in the cartoons; BAKE has stories about black bakeries and black baked goods (?); Vogue Knitting is solid black models, and as a very long-time knitter and attendant at knitting fairs and markets and groups, I KNOW black women don't knit. But they did manage to find one for the last issue and she wrote a thing about how awful it is that whites ----- you can guess the rest. Nothing about actual knitting, of course. Just whining. I didn't read much of it, but I bet she doesn't knit at all, or just started.

What I think, Disir, is that it's appeasement because the BLM rioting has scared so many people. This will just make for more rioting because that's how appeasement works, but it shows that it's crucial for the Establishment to be afraid of conservatives, as they have been since Wednesday. Otherwise they will simply give everything away to the BLM and antifas and there will be nothing left.

I'm not real big on magazines. I pick up ones that have recipes. I think that if you have black models in Vogue that is awesome. I personally think having African American bakers is awesome. I don't knit. I have cookbooks on soul food, Creole cooking and North African cuisine.

My point is that the magazines and ultimately the website are not places that people go to for authenticity. In fact, I can't even remember making a recipe from the magazine Bon Appetit in the last 15 years (that I didn't already own).

It's not until the 1990s that the majority of Americans even had access to the foods that we are now accustomed to seeing in a grocery store year round. That's why so many older recipes have ingredients that might be alien to the culture. For example, using vinegar as opposed to lemons. People did not have access to the sheer number of cookbooks that we have now. Communication has changed drastically so that Nigerian-Americans are on some food sites and when you look at their recipes sometimes you can still message them and ask a question.

Damn. Forgot about the Harissa. And the Ras al Hanout and the Iraqi curry.
I'm gonna go to that cabinet right now and separate the Indian and Pakistani stuff.
It's too late. "They" will just play a game of connect the dots.

Black eyed peas...come on man!

Forum List

Back