Darn good Potato Salad

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
I have made Potato salad like this for probably 20 years or so.
Along with a couple other things, this is one of those things everyone wants me to bring to an outing in the summer.... and everyone wants to know how it is made. And i don't tell them.
Only my two kids know how to make it, and now everyone wants them to bring it.

Now I am not a measurer... so bear with me. I "self adjust" this recipe according to how much I am making.

This will make about 8-10 side servings.
5 or so larger Red potatoes. Use red. Not baking, not gold.... Red and only red. Chopped in size you like for salad.
About a half of a med. red onion. diced small.
A few green onions, using only the hollow parts... mostly to add color. Cut about 1/4" pieces.
2 hardboiled eggs.
Decent pinch of dried dill... you can use relish, but I personally do not like relish in potato salad...and like I say... everyone loves this recipe.
Salt & Pepper to taste
Few dashes of lemon juice right before mixing together
2 parts yellow mustard, 1 part Dijon mustard, 1 part chipotle mustard (For this size I would start with 2 T yellow, 1 T dijon, 1 T chipotle)
Enough mayonnaise to your liking. I start with a couple oversized table spoonfulls, and then adjust if needed. If I was to guess that would be about 6 TB

Boil the potatoes to al dente, I do not want to over cook them. Should absolutely be no crunch, nor so cooked they mash when you start stirring them.
Drain and pour in cold water, repeat if necessary... you are trying to reach a lukewarm temp so the cooking stops. Put in fridge till cool.... prolly half hour.
Boil eggs as you do. Then cut in small pieces. I practically mash them.
Mix all of the ingredients.... done. Adjust salt or pepper to your taste.

Your gonna love it.
Note** - The "secret" is the three mustards. Don't just use yellow, don't leave out the chipotle mustard. This potato salad is NOT spicey. Both the dijon and the chipotle add a nice warm zing. This is why this doesn't taste like "everyone's yellow potato salad".
Don't substitute.

Last edited:
Without the red onion and lemon, thats how i make mine. I might try the lemon next time.

I just made potato salad, multiple batches recently, similar to your recipe. I use lemon pepper seasoning.

Along with a couple other things, this is one of those things everyone wants me to bring to an outing in the summer.... and everyone wants to know how it is made. And i don't tell them.

Now I am not a measurer... so bear with me. I "self adjust" this recipe according to how much I am making.

5 or so larger Red potatoes. Use red. Not baking, not gold.... Red and only red. Chopped in size you like for salad.
A few green onions, using only the hollow parts... mostly to add color. Cut about 1/4" pieces.
2 hardboiled eggs.
Decent pinch of dried dill... you can use relish, but I personally do not like relish in potato salad...and like I say... everyone loves this recipe.
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 parts yellow mustard, 1 part Dijon mustard, 1 part chipotle mustard (For this size I would start with 2 T yellow, 1 T dijon, 1 T chipotle)
Enough mayonnaise to your liking. I start with a couple oversized table spoonfulls, and then adjust if needed. If I was to guess that would be about 6 TB

Boil the potatoes to al dente, I do not want to over cook them. Should absolutely be no crunch, nor so cooked they mash when you start stirring them.
Drain and pour in cold water, repeat if necessary... you are trying to reach a lukewarm temp so the cooking stops. Put in fridge till cool.... prolly half hour.

Your gonna love it.
Note** - The "secret" is the three mustards. Don't just use yellow, don't leave out the chipotle mustard. This potato salad is NOT spicey. Both the dijon and the chipotle add a nice warm zing. This is why this doesn't taste like "everyone's yellow potato salad".
Don't substitute.
Thanks. PJ and I thought it sound interesting. I printed it for her.:p

I much prefer the German style of potato salad..You are aware what is in mayo?
Would have thought the Germans loved mayo, though it turns out they are not in the top 10 mayo consuming countries. If you don't watch out, they'll squirt it all over your french fries in a heartbeat, making them inedible, in my opinion.

Would have thought the Germans loved mayo, though it turns out they are not in the top 10 mayo consuming countries. If you don't watch out, they'll squirt it all over your french fries in a heartbeat, making them inedible, in my opinion.
Oh geez, my father use to eat french fries with mayo.... something he picked up in the Army somewhere.
I tried it once .... bleah

I like German style also, never made it though.
Most I have had is not right, only one place that does it well is a German restaurant in Cincinatti

Oh geez, my father use to eat french fries with mayo.... something he picked up in the Army somewhere.
Picked up in Germany, no doubt. Your dad's probably another former cold warrior. Street vendors are a little different fast food over there. The phrase "snitzel mit brochen und pomme frits und Franziskaner Weissbier" would probably set any cold warrior's mouth to watering.

Picked up in Germany, no doubt. Your dad's probably another former cold warrior. Street vendors are a little different fast food over there. The phrase "snitzel mit brochen und pomme frits und Franziskaner Weissbier" would probably set any cold warrior's mouth to watering.
He was in Germany. He took a good liking to the beer there, came back here... would have been about 1958, came back to the states... couldn't find any beer he liked here and never drank beer again

He was in Germany. He took a good liking to the beer there, came back here... would have been about 1958, came back to the states... couldn't find any beer he liked here and never drank beer again
I still drink the occasional beer, but not the same as happily tossing down mugs of bier from that fat monk with the three keys, that let you know, when you could no longer count the keys, you really need a friend to get you the heck out of there. 1958 Was 4 years after I was born. Did my by time there in the 80s, but if you are doing overseas duty somewhere where nobody is shooting at you, it is a unique period of duty with lots of fond memories to go along with cold, mud and tank ranges.

I still drink the occasional beer, but not the same as happily tossing down mugs of bier from that fat monk with the three keys, that let you know, when you could no longer count the keys, you really need a friend to get you the heck out of there. 1958 Was 4 years after I was born. Did my by time there in the 80s, but if you are doing overseas duty somewhere where nobody is shooting at you, it is a unique period of duty with lots of fond memories to go along with cold, mud and tank ranges.
Interesting... my brother was stationed in Bamberg... let's see... I believe 81-83 or close to that

2 hardboiled eggs.
Salt & Pepper to taste

Your gonna love it.
Don't substitute.

Good recipe. I love the touch of dill and chopped celery.

2 hardboiled eggs.
Salt & Pepper to taste

Your gonna love it.
Don't substitute.
Thanks for the recipe, I'll try. :)

Forum List

Back