Emancipation Day was January 1st 1863. Why is that ignored and "Juneteenth" is now all the rage?

Apparently the latest proclamation by the Woke mob is to make "Juneteenth" the most important holiday in America. There are a couple problems with this. First of all, the event that truly mattered was 1/1/1863 when President Lincoln called an end to slavery. Years later Federal troops forced Texans to comply with the Emancipation Proclamation BUT that did not end slavery either! There were many Blacks still enslaved past "Juneteenth" and it took years before the last slave was truly free or working as a paid employee of someone (and some of the slave owners were Black!).

So the stupidly named "Juneteenth" is an arbitrary date in time that does NOT mark the true end of slavery. But facts don't seem to matter anymore so whoopee let's have yet another paid holiday to satisfy the Woke mob.
We have a lot of "arbritrary dates" for our holidays - what matters is the collective meaning it has for the people.

Why is Independence Day July 4th, when it actually only meant independence for a portion of those residing in America at the time and excluded slaves, native Americans, and women for example.

(and no, I'm not advocating doing away with the 4th)

Who decides what is meaningful enough for a holiday and why?

It is a "holiday" now because the pathetic weak White Guilt pukes just can't seem to get enough of sticking their tongues up Negro ass.

Apparently the latest proclamation by the Woke mob is to make "Juneteenth" the most important holiday in America. There are a couple problems with this. First of all, the event that truly mattered was 1/1/1863 when President Lincoln called an end to slavery. Years later Federal troops forced Texans to comply with the Emancipation Proclamation BUT that did not end slavery either! There were many Blacks still enslaved past "Juneteenth" and it took years before the last slave was truly free or working as a paid employee of someone (and some of the slave owners were Black!).

So the stupidly named "Juneteenth" is an arbitrary date in time that does NOT mark the true end of slavery. But facts don't seem to matter anymore so whoopee let's have yet another paid holiday to satisfy the Woke mob.

The Emancipation Proclamation was a fucking farce. It only "freed" slaves in the South. There were half a million slaves in the North who were still enslaved. The Proclamation did nothing to help them at all.

Lincoln issued the Proclamation as a cynical move to try and disrupt the Southern economy. That is why the Dims do not want it celebrated. It was a joke.

Michael Knowles made the point that the left wanted the "Juneteenth" holiday rather than, for example, Emancipation Proclamation Day or December 6th (the day the 13th Amendment became part of the Constitution) is because a holiday for either of those days would have to involve showing gratitude to others, rather than nursing and exacerbating a sense of grievance.

That's an interesting statement.

Gratitude...for something that should never have happened in the first place? Not sure how a person would feel about that, being told that this should be the date you celebrate rather than having the freedom to choose which emancipating event was most important to you and your people.

It is a "holiday" now because the pathetic weak White Guilt pukes just can't seem to get enough of sticking their tongues up Negro ass.
You're disgusting but this no surprise. Keep your anal fetish to yourself please.

It was already a Texas state holiday - since 1980. All but 3 states already commerate it as either a state holiday or day of special observance. Why the uproar now?

You're disgusting but this no surprise. Keep your anal fetish to yourself please.

It was already a Texas state holiday - since 1980. All but 3 states already commerate it as either a state holiday or day of special observance. Why the uproar now?

So why the fuck is now a national holiday? Why should somebody in Florida or Nebraska celebrate something that happen in Galveston?

Who is so sick as to kiss Negro ass that much?

The goddamn Negros already have their Martin Luther Negro Day and a whole month where the demented shitheads fall all over themselves kissing Negro ass.

If we need to honor anything how about all the many victims of Negro crime? How about a a day of remembrance for all the Black and Whites that have been murdered by Negros?

So why the fuck is now a national holiday? Why should somebody in Florida or Nebraska celebrate something that happen in Galveston?

Who is so sick as to kiss Negro ass that much?

The goddamn Negros already have their Martin Luther Negro Day and a whole month where the demented shitheads fall all over themselves kissing Negro ass.

If we need to honor anything is all the many victims of Negro crime? How about a a day of remembrance for all the Black and Whites that have been murdered by Negros?
I had no idea celebrating another holiday could be so upsetting to you or that there is somehow, a racial tally of holidays you are keeping.

Let's see....hmmm...Whites get July 4th, Thanksgiving, Washington's Birthday, Columbus Day, Blacks get Martin Luther King Day and Juneteenth.

I don't know about you but...kind a looks like Whites scored big on the Holiday thing.

We have a lot of "arbritrary dates" for our holidays - what matters is the collective meaning it has for the people.

Why is Independence Day July 4th, when it actually only meant independence for a portion of those residing in America at the time and excluded slaves, native Americans, and women for example.

Leaving aside your reason-free, PMSing leftist screed of "How can it have been Independence Day if it wasn't my perfect vision of what the world should be exactly like?!" Independence Day is July 4th because that's the day that the Declaration of Independence was formally adopted. Sort of an important, celebration-worthy day to people who love their country, rather than just sucking off of it while whining about how it sucks so much compared to all of the countries you aren't moving to.

In actual fact, Ms. "I'm too busy knowing what I decided to know to actually go find out the facts", none of our holidays are "arbitrary dates". They were all chosen for very concrete reasons, which you could try Googling.

The Emancipation Proclamation was a fucking farce. It only "freed" slaves in the South. There were half a million slaves in the North who were still enslaved. The Proclamation did nothing to help them at all.

Lincoln issued the Proclamation as a cynical move to try and disrupt the Southern economy. That is why the Dims do not want it celebrated. It was a joke.

Michael Knowles made the point that the left wanted the "Juneteenth" holiday rather than, for example, Emancipation Proclamation Day or December 6th (the day the 13th Amendment became part of the Constitution) is because a holiday for either of those days would have to involve showing gratitude to others, rather than nursing and exacerbating a sense of grievance.

Gratitude...for something that should never have happened in the first place? Not sure how a person would feel about that, being told that this should be the date you celebrate rather than having the freedom to choose which emancipating event was most important to you and your people.

Thanks for proving Mr. Knowles' point so adequately, that all leftists want is to continue whining and sniveling and feeling victimized in perpetuity. We should never, ever feel grateful to people for righting wrongs and trying to make things better, because it's much more fun to feel aggrieved for all eternity that the world wasn't our perfect ideal right from the start.

You really like avoid addressing the po

Thanks for proving Mr. Knowles' point so adequately, that all leftists want is to continue whining and sniveling and feeling victimized in perpetuity. We should never, ever feel grateful to people for righting wrongs and trying to make things better, because it's much more fun to feel aggrieved for all eternity that the world wasn't our perfect ideal right from the start.
What does “leftism” have to do with recognizing a non ideological holiday? So far, you don’t come up with a good rational for other than “I hate anything that recognizes the history of African Americans in our culture”.

Leaving aside your reason-free, PMSing leftist screed of "How can it have been Independence Day if it wasn't my perfect vision of what the world should be exactly like?!" Independence Day is July 4th because that's the day that the Declaration of Independence was formally adopted. Sort of an important, celebration-worthy day to people who love their country, rather than just sucking off of it while whining about how it sucks so much compared to all of the countries you aren't moving to.

In actual fact, Ms. "I'm too busy knowing what I decided to know to actually go find out the facts", none of our holidays are "arbitrary dates". They were all chosen for very concrete reasons, which you could try Googling.
WhiLe I personally love July 4th....what should it mean to two significant populations in our country: indiginous peoples and African Americans? And why?

For African Americans, isn’t Juneteenth a date closer to actual independence in this country than July 4, 1776 ever was?

WhiLe I personally love July 4th....what should it mean to two significant populations in our country: indiginous peoples and African Americans? And why?

For African Americans, isn’t Juneteenth a date closer to actual independence in this country than July 4, 1776 ever was?

For black people and for Native Americans who are at least partially assimilated - as in, interacting with society as a whole through work, shopping, entertainment, etc. - the Fourth of July should mean the same thing to them as it does to everyone else in this country. They are a part of this country, and reaping the benefits of being part of this country, however much they might want to sit around and nurse grievances over something that happened to an ancestor. The legacy of the ideals this country was created to strive for is as much theirs as it is that of anyone who is part of the United States. Yes, their ancestors might have been on the down side of the struggle to become who we aspired to be. They're actually not alone in that regard, however much they might want to think they are.

Furthermore, I have no problem with the idea of a holiday celebrating the end of slavery . . . IN ADDITION TO celebrating Independence Day, not replacing it. I think the eradication of such an evil from our country is something everyone should celebrate. Together. As a coherent nation that is moving forward toward who we aspired to be from the beginning. My problem with Juneteenth is twofold. First, it has only ever been a regional celebration commemorating the news of emancipation being taken to that one region. Two, I don't think - and nothing I've heard said in favor of it has disabused me of this belief - that it was chosen to celebrate emancipation so much as it was chosen to further inflame division and give some people another way to enjoy their eternal victimhood.

Forum List

Back