Elton John would "ban" organized religion

He just rants like a crazed person. I liked his music back in the day but about say 20 years ago he started on that deep end deal. Not sure if he is a drunk because of the ranting and just rude demeanor:alco:

You mean like the tolerance and freedom religious folk show towards gays? That kinda tolerance? Note he said organised religion. He still thinks there should be religion, just not organised in the way it is

Then let him organise his own.

As long as any religion has a negative impact on somebody else, they can say what they like about that religion...take Islam for example....

OH NO-----not the negative impact thingy again. I'm just trying to be a bit helpful to poor old Elton here. Is he aware that there are gay churches all over the place--and they're organized ? In all seriousness, the protestants have been through all this before. Can't gays follow thier example?

Here's my take: I hate organized religion. But if I were in the position of power to do so, I wouldn't ban it. Elton John expressed his opinions and, while I don't fully agree with the thought behind banning religion, I like what he does have to say. There is a lot of insensitivity and bullshit that emenates from religion, but it should be observed that it is the people, not the faith.

And why shouldn't he stand by what he said? Just read some of the answers on this thread by Glock and 90K...
What does Johny's ugly public statements have to do with a toungue in cheek exchange between two friends? I've known 90K for about two years from another board.

Let's face it, Grump. You give Johnny a pass because he's a liberal, and so are you. The man could dance naked in front of a school bus and that would be OK with you.

Here's my take: I hate organized religion. But if I were in the position of power to do so, I wouldn't ban it. Elton John expressed his opinions and, while I don't fully agree with the thought behind banning religion, I like what he does have to say. There is a lot of insensitivity and bullshit that emenates from religion, but it should be observed that it is the people, not the faith.

It should also be observed that religious organizations donate millions of dollars and man-hours taking care of people all over the world. If it weren't so evil, I would like for them to take a day or two off from what they do so taxpayers could see what kind of tab they would have to pick up should they ban the most charitable organizations in the world.

It should also be observed that religious organizations donate millions of dollars and man-hours taking care of people all over the world. If it weren't so evil, I would like for them to take a day or two off from what they do so taxpayers could see what kind of tab they would have to pick up should they ban the most charitable organizations in the world.
Note I said I wouldn't ban organized religion. I said I disliked it. And evil done in the name of organized religion is done by man, not the religion itself.

Mel Gibson was villified for his terrible rant, even though he was by all accounts stinking drunk, and most likely not thinking very clearly. Did you see someone here defending it? Elton, on the other hand, was apparently sober and very serious.

No, I do not expect Elton to "love" me or my beliefs. What I would hope for (not expect, because, he is after all a lib) is some of the same tolerance and freedom of behavior that he (and others like him) demand from everyone else. But not to be, ey?

Frankly, I am surprised that you would defend such religion-phobic intolerance, Jillian.

I'm not .... not in the least.

Note I said I wouldn't ban organized religion. I said I disliked it. And evil done in the name of organized religion is done by man, not the religion itself.

So is the good---It is done by people practicing thier religious beliefs. Many dislike it becuase they are unaware of all that it does. Critics focus on the bad and true believers would never gloat about what they have given.

Forum List

Back