Electric Car Sales Double

The technology parts are so neat for the curious, gets you thinking, and am all for it. But technology for nasty batteries gets way more press than technology for diesels. Small diesels from VW and others eat the EVs lunch with 50-60 miles per gallon with almost zero pollution. And poor EVs also have the worst resale values of any vehicles. The market has spoken.

My EV doesn't get 50-60 mpg. It gets 300-500 mpg. An EV is a tool, and quite a good one if the job needing done is commuting in and around the average city/suburban environment.

Diesels are fine for road trips and whatnot, but until someone with a better reputation than VW or Chevy starts cranking them out, I'll stick with gasoline and 40mpg on road trips instead (Ford Focus).

I am not against electric vehicles although I have no desire to have one. But when talking about sales no one is speaking about the subsidy for the vehicles. No one is talking about whether the Volt is even close or will ever be to giving a return on investment. It was the most anticipated and most ballyhooed electric vehicle and is so far a bust. Hybrid cars do not seem to be able to keep up in price or performance with your ford.
VW already makes diesel powered cars(the new bug for one) that gets better gas mileage than your ford, I am not sure about price comparison. But some of my caterpillar mechanics tell me that Cat is developing a diesel that is so clean that you could sit safely in room with engine running.
Are there different apps that favor different vehicles? Sure. But if you are doing anything that involves getting more than one or two human beings from a to b there is no workable electric alternative.

I am not against electric vehicles although I have no desire to have one. But when talking about sales no one is speaking about the subsidy for the vehicles. No one is talking about whether the Volt is even close or will ever be to giving a return on investment.

It is a car. Very few people buy ANY car as an investment because...obviously....they tend to depreciate rather than gain in value. The beauty of the Volt is the freedom from the local extortion stores.

Shrimpbox said:
It was the most anticipated and most ballyhooed electric vehicle and is so far a bust.

Except for being reliable, getting to and fro from work without requiring a trip to the extortion store, and still being able to drive across the state like a normal car...should the urge strike.

Did you buy one and it was a bust? How unfortunate, mine is quite nice, a little cramped in the back but that is where the kids go anyway and it is better than the old Mustang by a long shot.

Shrimpbox said:
Hybrid cars do not seem to be able to keep up in price or performance with your ford.

My Ford Escape hybrid was quite nice, the problem being that the 4X4 system combined with short distances in winter seemed to negate its hybrid efficiency. But when warm the thing was great, took it wheeling in Monument Valley, getting low 30's, but 6 years later now even regular crossover AWDs get that kind of mileage.

My Camry hybrid was quite a bit better than my Focus on the highway, you could easily pull 41-43 mpg in it, a solid 32mpg around town, which is better than both my old Fiesta and Focus. But they are temptingly close, and without the complexity of the hybrid system.

The Volt beats them all hands down in the mileage department obviously. Beats my 50cc scooter and KLR650 motorcycle as well. A wonderful thing, not needing to put liquid fuel in the tank.

Shrimpbox said:
VW already makes diesel powered cars(the new bug for one) that gets better gas mileage than your ford, I am not sure about price comparison.

Test drove a 6sp manual Passat not 3 months ago. Would be a nice road car except for VWs quality reputation, and my "go to lunch in a suit" sedan beats it to death in all those ways we buy cars for (which is to say, who gives a damn about fuel mileage, right? :eusa_shhh:)...in the guilty sense. 300HP V6, paddle shifters, nice tires and the ability to use them, decent suspension. Plus the Focus cost about $10G's less than the VW and by the time you factor in increased cost for diesel, a trip from Denver to the Atlantic and back is about the same in fuel costs. No advantage there for the diesel other than I could take the entire family in the Passat, quite roomy and quiet, whereas the Focus is smaller and just as quiet.

Shrimpbox said:
Are there different apps that favor different vehicles? Sure. But if you are doing anything that involves getting more than one or two human beings from a to b there is no workable electric alternative.

Mine works every day of the week, so of course its workable. And far more efficient at 300-500mpg than any diesel I am aware of anywhere on the planet.

Forum List

Back