Elderly Grandfather Paralyzed by Police Beating

Sucks it happened no doubt,but looking into peoples homes is going to raise suspicions no matter where you're from.

Maybe, he was dreaming of buying a home. When the cops came, they can plainly see there was nothing to the complaint.

They could? How? He wasnt speaking English.

They never tried to use reason, and the officers contradict themselves about the language barrier. They admit Patel does not speak English but complain he won't listen.

Alabama police officer arrested after Indian grandfather left partially paralyzed - The Washington Post

One of the two police videos shows the officer holding Patel forcefully, pushing him to the ground. Patel, on the ground, is then told to “chill out” by one of the officers. The officer tells a third, approaching officer that Patel doesn’t “speak a lick of English,” and that they were trying to pat him down. “I don’t know what his problem is, but he won’t listen,” one of the officers adds.

"I don't know what his problem is" is almost exactly what George Zimmerman said.

George Zimmerman Police Call

Zimmerman: Somethings wrong with him. Yup, he's coming to check me out, he's got something in his hands, I don't know what his deal is.

And kept trying to walk away and kept sticking his hands into areas of concealment, aka pockets.

The police are not credible when they say he was trying to walk away, as we see in the video they keep complaining he's trying to walk away while in cuffs and when all they have to do is lead him on. Likewise, they are not credible about the hands in pocket routine.

If they are going to act on some unsubstantiated report, they need to take utmost care in doing it, especially with a frail old man walking quietly through the neighborhood.

On face value...id be suspicious too. And id detain him until I knew he wasnt doing anything. ..and make sure no weapon was in those areas of concealment.

The report the police were acting on did not even match Patel's description, and there was no need for the caller to follow the Indian man.

The department also released portions of audio and video pertaining to the incident. In a non-emergency call to police, a neighbor described Patel as a “skinny black guy” and said that he’d “never seen him before” in the neighborhood. Patel, he said, was “just wandering around” and “walking close to the garage.” The caller added that he was following Patel at a distance. When asked to estimate his age, the caller guessed Patel was in his 30′s.

Black and in his 30's is not even close.

They can search him
Thats called investigation. And the man resisted it.

He wasn't armed, and the cop has good reason to lie.

The FBI is investigating an incident in which an Indian grandfather’s encounter with police in Alabama left the man partially paralyzed. An officer involved in the incident is under arrest, and the police chief proposed that he be fired, police said Thursday.

From now on lets deploy a masseuse with cops so they can massage people into compliance when they dont obey lawful commands.

How about cops use appropriate force for what people's conditions are?

How did the cops know he wasnt armed....without searching him?

You're the Tom Brady of armchair quarterbacking.

There was no good reason to search.

Sucks it happened no doubt,but looking into peoples homes is going to raise suspicions no matter where you're from.

Maybe, he was dreaming of buying a home. When the cops came, they can plainly see there was nothing to the complaint.

They never tried to use reason, and the officers contradict themselves about the language barrier. They admit Patel does not speak English but complain he won't listen.

Alabama police officer arrested after Indian grandfather left partially paralyzed - The Washington Post

One of the two police videos shows the officer holding Patel forcefully, pushing him to the ground. Patel, on the ground, is then told to “chill out” by one of the officers. The officer tells a third, approaching officer that Patel doesn’t “speak a lick of English,” and that they were trying to pat him down. “I don’t know what his problem is, but he won’t listen,” one of the officers adds.

"I don't know what his problem is" is almost exactly what George Zimmerman said.

Zimmerman: Somethings wrong with him. Yup, he's coming to check me out, he's got something in his hands, I don't know what his deal is.

And kept trying to walk away and kept sticking his hands into areas of concealment, aka pockets.

The police are not credible when they say he was trying to walk away, as we see in the video they keep complaining he's trying to walk away while in cuffs and when all they have to do is lead him on. Likewise, they are not credible about the hands in pocket routine.

If they are going to act on some unsubstantiated report, they need to take utmost care in doing it, especially with a frail old man walking quietly through the neighborhood.

On face value...id be suspicious too. And id detain him until I knew he wasnt doing anything. ..and make sure no weapon was in those areas of concealment.

The report the police were acting on did not even match Patel's description, and there was no need for the caller to follow the Indian man.

The department also released portions of audio and video pertaining to the incident. In a non-emergency call to police, a neighbor described Patel as a “skinny black guy” and said that he’d “never seen him before” in the neighborhood. Patel, he said, was “just wandering around” and “walking close to the garage.” The caller added that he was following Patel at a distance. When asked to estimate his age, the caller guessed Patel was in his 30′s.

They can search him

The FBI is investigating an incident in which an Indian grandfather’s encounter with police in Alabama left the man partially paralyzed. An officer involved in the incident is under arrest, and the police chief proposed that he be fired, police said Thursday.

From now on lets deploy a masseuse with cops so they can massage people into compliance when they dont obey lawful commands.

Terry vs Ohio. SCOTUS. If a person under any suspicion keeps putting hands in an area a weapon could possibly be concealed, like a pocket, cops can search those pockets.

Absolute law. They had a right to search. He tried to not let them. Period.

The cop will probably settle his wrongful termination and arrest lawsuit for a cool million. Buy a nice house and car and ride off into the sunset.

They can search him

Terry vs Ohio. SCOTUS. If a person under any suspicion keeps putting hands in an area a weapon could possibly be concealed, like a pocket, cops can search those pockets.

That wholly appears to be the cop's desperate alibi.

They can search him

The cop will probably settle his wrongful termination and arrest lawsuit for a cool million. Buy a nice house and car and ride off into the sunset.

That wholly appears to be the cop's desperate alibi.

Its not a "desperate alibi". Its Supreme Court case law.

They might as well just charge this cop with "Being a meanie farty pants".....because an assault charge is a joke. Hes gonna cost Alabama taxpayers millions on his trial...and then how much they have to payout in his lawsuit. All so their town wont look like another Ferguson. They are throwing this cop under the bus. But...hes gonna get PAID!!!!

Nobody was slammed down while cuffed and just standing there. Nothing to see. Move along now, before we arrest you.............

You obviously didn't watch the video.

(@:11) - calmly standing

(@:14) - slamming

(@:16) - arms clearly cuffed behind his back

Last edited:

They can search him

Who are you to make that claim?

They can search him

The Indian man didn't even match the description of the caller at all.

They can search him

That I hadn't heard. Got a link for it?

It was only in one of the ones I did a few hours ago and in one of the posts you quoted.

Hes lying. The description matched. The indian man was in fact the man the caller was reporting.

Hes lying. The description matched. The indian man was in fact the man the caller was reporting.

No, it didn't match, and cops cannot rouse someone wearing a hat when the caller said they had a hat but nothing else matches. In other words, just because he was skinny like the caller said doesn't give the cops the right to assume they have their man, when he was neither black nor young like the caller stated.

No, it didn't match, and cops cannot rouse someone wearing a hat when the caller said they had a hat but nothing else matches. In other words, just because he was skinny like the caller said doesn't give the cops the right to assume they have their man, when he was neither black nor young like the caller stated in the 911 call that was released.

You assume any of that will matter to bucs90. He constantly defends dirty cops. He used to be one.

No, it didn't match, and cops cannot rouse someone wearing a hat when the caller said they had a hat but nothing else matches. In other words, just because he was skinny like the caller said doesn't give the cops the right to assume they have their man, when he was neither black nor young like the caller stated in the 911 call that was released.

You assume any of that will matter to bucs90. He constantly defends dirty cops. He used to be one.

Cop yes. Dirty cop...of course not.

And no I dont care what low lifes like you think. People like you and him are why we have cops...to protect civilized people from the hooligans of your ilk.

A black man maybe in his 30s. An indian man in his 50s. In cold weather and thus heavh clothing......yeah its not a drastic difference.

They did in fact stop the person the caller was reporting. True or false?

Someone needs to train cops in the use of common sense. This is getting ridiculous.

Visiting from India grandfather partially paralyzed after encounter with police - CNN.com

"Chirag Patel, told CNN Affiliate WHNT that his father tried to communicate with officers, telling them "No English. Indian," when they approached. He also said his father gave police his address and pointed to his son's house."
He's younger than me and I've never been considered "elderly".

I think learning English would have eliminated this problem.

Forum List

Back