"Eff you, old man. Now clean it up."

luckily here we have a good elementary school with a principle who doesnt take crap from students or parents..i.e. a family move in from and the 4 th grader didnt like the new assignments of homework.....she was told at be ele 4 th graders get homework and are expected to do homework....he has the ability to pulll teeth and shut down parents who object to clear school policies and does what is best for the kids....

i dont think liberal or con has much to do with it...people are just up in arms about education

i left the system 48 years and never looked back...teachers should be respected more than football players but hey that is just me and they should be paid damn well

Principal.

Yes. I have a niece who just started teaching in a Catholic grade school. She loves it in many ways, but some of the kids are very disrespectful to her. This is a wealthy school and the wealthy parents have considerable influence. As such, she isn’t getting much support from the principal or parents to get these kids on the right path. This has caused her to consider another profession.

People think private schools are some kind of magic bullet.

Nope. And often, not by a long shot.

I had a third grade special student with behavior issues. One lunch he has a slushie type desert that the school made and he threw it on the floor when a kid made him mad. I came to get him, and of course we aren't allowed to make kids clean their messes. He seemed to have calmed down and resigned him self to being "in trouble."

But on the way out, he said, "Wait, I want it back." Yeah. He expected to be able to go through the line to get another slushie to take to the cool down room. So he threw another fit and had to be transported using our approved restraint methods (which seemed designed to allow the acting out kid to hurt the teacher).

I'm much happier in Junior High were we can just get the "School Resource Officer," to take care of any physical interactions.

In our state if a student attacks a teacher in grade 6 and above, student can be suspended or expelled.

Grade 5 and under? nothing. Though many of these kids in grade 5 and under outweigh me by a LOT. And I mean a LOT.

Little kids in a fit of outrage can do much damage.

What is wrong with kids today? A few years, I heard that an English teacher I had in Highschool was assaulted by a student…punched. She would have been elderly then. WTF. I never heard of that happening before. Things have changed.

It's rampant.

No one really talks about it.

You need better reading comprehension skills. Joe expressed no disrespect to the custodian whatsoever.
Objectively false. Joe was blatantly disrespectful to the theoretical abused custodian in the story.

You are blind and / or fucking retarded.

By chance was the student white, and the janitor a visible minority?
Like the opposite wouldn’t be as likely if not MORE likely.

This is what happens when kids think they are entitled to treat others badly and there will be no consequences for their actions. Let me guess: the kid was a white, male athlete???

A "meltdown" or a mental health crisis where an autistic child is overwhelmed, is not a "lack of discipline", nor will it result in the behaviour of the entitled asshole in your OP. Consequences imposed will have absolutely no impact on the austistic child's behaviour,

Lack of consequences, or even responsible parents who taught their son the "Golden Rule", are the source of this young man's behavioural problems.

Yeah? And how many years have you worked with "austistic children"?

Me? 25 and counting

I have no proposals since I have never dealt with autistic children, but I do know that their problems cannot be dealt with by imposing "consequences" on the child. Their brains don't process things the way normal children do.

Sue is correct in saying that it's a "communications problem", and it is. Autistic children lack the ability to communicate, or to process language. It's my firm belief that such children should be in "special ed" classes or schools for children who need their own personal education assistant.

Parents of autistic children tell me how hard it is to get services for their kids but all of them report adverse results putting their children in public schools. Parents sued school boards to allow their children into regular classes but I don't think it's working well for the schools or the special needs kids.

Just the amount of ignorance in this post. The blatant, steaming ignorance.

If you can deal with it Seymour Flops you're a better person than me.

Strange. I perceive you as being subtly brilliant. Did you go on and kick some ass, academically?

I was same age. I felt like a bug and the guy impressed me as a perv.

He is, without a doubt. School fails at identifying a lot of ways people can be smart. But despite all the BS we are getting better in some areas. My high school has a booming trade school within the high school. Kids learn and work construction and come out, age 18, having burned off a good deal of teenage nuttery and ready to work. It's highly successful, as well it should be.

My high school has a booming trade school within the high school. Kids learn and work construction and come out, age 18,
i was one of those kids
good with my hands , not so much from the neck up. :rolleyes:

i've had a grand career , i just wish more HS councilors would recognize and accommodate sorts that would do best in the construction arena

for reasons i can't 'splain we're seen as societies misfits, which admittedly there's a lotta 'God's special children' on jobs to be pointed out, sorts that would give human resource folks conniptions.....:eek:

that said, we serve an apprenticeship , the mentors that put up with me are all on the big job in the sky now.....:icon_cry: so i've returned their favor by doing the same

1670148060652.png

~S~

i was one of those kids
good with my hands , not so much from the neck up. :rolleyes:

i've had a grand career , i just wish more HS councilors would recognize and accommodate sorts that would do best in the construction arena

for reasons i can't 'splain we're seen as societies misfits, which admittedly there's a lotta 'God's special children' on jobs to be pointed out, sorts that would give human resource folks conniptions.....:eek:

that said, we serve an apprenticeship , the mentors that put up with me are all on the big job in the sky now.....:icon_cry: so i've returned their favor by doing the same

View attachment 734430

~S~

Our daughter looks set to marry a guy like this. Works like a dog, smart, but needs to be busy. Office job would be awful for him. He wants to be a certified electrician. That's a GREAT job. He's already been working a labor job for years, while he was in school, and has saved a ton of money and bought his own truck. We love him.

I don't understand desk jockeys who look down on people in trade. You think you don't need electricians, plumbers, construction workers, roofers? Yeah? You think their jobs aren't important?

I have a feeling things are about to get real, really fast. Then everyone will find out what skills come in handy

He walked out. The custodian.

People should know that lax discipline has brought this about, for the most part. But then when schools try to implement discipline, parents revolt.
I would have considered turning the kid upside down and using his hair as a mop to clean up the mess. Then I wold have walked out.

Our daughter looks set to marry a guy like this. Works like a dog, smart, but needs to be busy. Office job would be awful for him. He wants to be a certified electrician. That's a GREAT job
Right now in VT the average age of a tradesman is something like mid 50's, some of our jobs are looking more like a fossil home ......our governor Scott is in the news declaring it a crisis , and of course comrade Bernie has to have his $.02 in on it

We LOVE younger recruits , fact i they can move their a** faster than us 'ol farts, and are very marketable

God speed to the lad!

I don't understand desk jockeys who look down on people in trade. You think you don't need electricians, plumbers, construction workers, roofers? Yeah? You think their jobs aren't important?
I'm used to it, think Orwells animal farm

but hey, check out our service call rates! :dev3: ~S~

Right now in VT the average age of a tradesman is something like mid 50's, some of our jobs are looking more like a fossil home ......our governor Scott is in the news declaring it a crisis , and of course comrade Bernie has to have his $.02 in on it

We LOVE younger recruits , fact i they can move their a** faster than us 'ol farts, and are very marketable

God speed to the lad!

I'm used to it, think Orwells animal farm

but hey, check out our service call rates! :dev3: ~S~

Yes indeed, he has good references because he's a hard worker and has many offers.

Forum List

Back