Education Dept. : BDS activity against Israel will be defined as anti-Semitism

You are guilty of all 4 of those things. You remove Israel’s government from any responsibility, you justify hatred for Palestinians within the frame of invisibility for that respinsibility, you apply hatred collectively to each member of the group, and you appeal to emotion to justify hatred (pretending anybody that opposes the actions of Israel’s government as hating Jewish people)

If you have examples of me doing any of those things, please provide and I will address.

Since you have already provided one, I will address it here and now. I do not claim that anyone opposing the actions of Israel's government hates the Jewish people. I very clearly distinguish between valid and real criticism of Israel's government policies and generalized hate speech toward Israel and the Jewish people.

For example, claiming that Gaza is equivalent to the Warsaw Ghetto is not a valid criticism of Israel's government policy. Wanna know how I know? It doesn't provide Israel's government policy. Claiming Gaza is equivalent to the Warsaw Ghetto is grossly ignorant of the reasons for and the conditions of the particular event. Wanna know how I know? Because I've researched it and understand the facts. Claiming that Gaza is equivalent to the Warsaw Ghetto is demonizing. It is an emotional appeal. And it subverts an atrocity. Wanna know how I know? Because there is no space in that statement to provide objective and researched facts. Its hate speech pure and simple.

In contrast, you mentioned the destruction of the homes of terrorists by Israel. That IS valid criticism of Israel's government policy. It labels a specific policy. It leaves space for discussion centered around facts and objective analysis. (Btw, I agree with you this policy is unacceptable and I condemn it).

That’s how the UN created Israel. Israel has since established a theocracy and declared that Jews have special rights. They have a special right to self determination there, where as in Germany, for example, they have an equal right to self determination as anybody else.

Here we go with the ignorance. The UN did not "create" Israel. Israel declared independence just like every other State in the world. Israel is not a theocracy. And there is not a single law in Israel which gives Jews special rights -- all are equal.

All peoples have the right to self-determination, right? All peoples have a right to national self-determination, right? Where else if not in their historical homeland? Yes, the Jewish people have a special right to form their nation (State) in a specific territory BECAUSE it is their historical homeland.

Surely you are not going to argue that Arab Palestinians have a right to self-determination, but in Uganda or Brazil and not in Palestine, are you?
You equate “self-determination” with “national self-determination,” which is nonsense. The only “right” by which Israel was created was the same as every other nation. Some people picked some land and killed or evicted as many people as they needed to to hold that land.

Don’t make me laugh about everyone having the “same rights” either. Not everyone has the right of return, not everyone has a right to self-determibation, not everyone has the right to leave whenever they want to, not everyone has their home destroyed if a family member commits a crime, and on and on.

You don't seem to have a very good handle on what you mean by self-determination.

The Jewish people have a right to national self-determination (to form a State which represents and protects their particular culture, language, traditions and history) in their historical homeland. Yes or no?

The Arab Palestinian people have a right to national self-determination (to form a State which represents and protects their particular culture, language, traditions and history) in their historical homeland. Yes or no?

I say yes to both. Do you?
No. Nobody inherently has that right. You either form a country through agreements with those around you, or you take land away from others to make your country. Declaring a place where other people live as your country because you claim historic rights is no different than just taking land away from others. Instant of historical nonsense, colonists during colonial times claimed a divine mandate to bring religion and civilization to others; that too was actually just taking land from others. Israel will not continue exising becaise of some historical mandate; it will exist as long as it can defend itself like any other country. Pissing off the world by oppressing descendants and sympathizers of the people who used to govern that land is not the best idea.

If they are unhappy they should move
LOLOL

You don’t even have any idea why that’s funny, do you

That’s how the UN created Israel. Israel has since established a theocracy and declared that Jews have special rights. They have a special right to self determination there, where as in Germany, for example, they have an equal right to self determination as anybody else.

Here we go with the ignorance. The UN did not "create" Israel. Israel declared independence just like every other State in the world. Israel is not a theocracy. And there is not a single law in Israel which gives Jews special rights -- all are equal.

All peoples have the right to self-determination, right? All peoples have a right to national self-determination, right? Where else if not in their historical homeland? Yes, the Jewish people have a special right to form their nation (State) in a specific territory BECAUSE it is their historical homeland.

Surely you are not going to argue that Arab Palestinians have a right to self-determination, but in Uganda or Brazil and not in Palestine, are you?
You equate “self-determination” with “national self-determination,” which is nonsense. The only “right” by which Israel was created was the same as every other nation. Some people picked some land and killed or evicted as many people as they needed to to hold that land.

Don’t make me laugh about everyone having the “same rights” either. Not everyone has the right of return, not everyone has a right to self-determibation, not everyone has the right to leave whenever they want to, not everyone has their home destroyed if a family member commits a crime, and on and on.

You don't seem to have a very good handle on what you mean by self-determination.

The Jewish people have a right to national self-determination (to form a State which represents and protects their particular culture, language, traditions and history) in their historical homeland. Yes or no?

The Arab Palestinian people have a right to national self-determination (to form a State which represents and protects their particular culture, language, traditions and history) in their historical homeland. Yes or no?

No. Nobody inherently has that right. You either form a country through agreements with those around you, or you take land away from others to make your country. Declaring a place where other people live as your country because you claim historic rights is no different than just taking land away from others. Instant of historical nonsense, colonists during colonial times claimed a divine mandate to bring religion and civilization to others; that too was actually just taking land from others. Israel will not continue exising becaise of some historical mandate; it will exist as long as it can defend itself like any other country. Pissing off the world by oppressing descendants and sympathizers of the people who used to govern that land is not the best idea.
The people who governed the Land of Israel, for 700 years, were the Turks. Are you telling us that the Turks have the right to the Land of Israel and any and all land they used to govern over, OVER the indigenous people of any of those territories?

You continue to not know what you are talking about.

If they are unhappy they should move
LOLOL

You don’t even have any idea why that’s funny, do you

It wasn't meant to be funny. Muslims were conquered, time to go. Only thing funny about you is your stupid face.

You either form a country through agreements with those around you,
Um. You DO know that Israel HAS agreements with her neighbors, right?

No. Nobody inherently has that right.
Now you seem to be saying that no one has the right to national self-determination. [/quote]

Declaring a place where other people live as your country because you claim historic rights is no different than just taking land away from others.
Okay. So Palestine can't just declare a country where Israelis live. Because that would be taking land away from others. Right.

Israel will not continue exising becaise of some historical mandate; it will exist as long as it can defend itself like any other country.
And now you are saying the rights of peoples to self-determination arise from their ability to conquer, hold and defend territory. You are all over the place. Which is it?

You are guilty of all 4 of those things. You remove Israel’s government from any responsibility, you justify hatred for Palestinians within the frame of invisibility for that respinsibility, you apply hatred collectively to each member of the group, and you appeal to emotion to justify hatred (pretending anybody that opposes the actions of Israel’s government as hating Jewish people)

If you have examples of me doing any of those things, please provide and I will address.

Since you have already provided one, I will address it here and now. I do not claim that anyone opposing the actions of Israel's government hates the Jewish people. I very clearly distinguish between valid and real criticism of Israel's government policies and generalized hate speech toward Israel and the Jewish people.

For example, claiming that Gaza is equivalent to the Warsaw Ghetto is not a valid criticism of Israel's government policy. Wanna know how I know? It doesn't provide Israel's government policy. Claiming Gaza is equivalent to the Warsaw Ghetto is grossly ignorant of the reasons for and the conditions of the particular event. Wanna know how I know? Because I've researched it and understand the facts. Claiming that Gaza is equivalent to the Warsaw Ghetto is demonizing. It is an emotional appeal. And it subverts an atrocity. Wanna know how I know? Because there is no space in that statement to provide objective and researched facts. Its hate speech pure and simple.

In contrast, you mentioned the destruction of the homes of terrorists by Israel. That IS valid criticism of Israel's government policy. It labels a specific policy. It leaves space for discussion centered around facts and objective analysis. (Btw, I agree with you this policy is unacceptable and I condemn it).
I don’t know about the warsaw ghetto and never made that comparison. I’m just a typical person and when I see “Israel attacks Gaza after rockets fired” I think “oh yeah that’s a good idea they need to defend themselves.” Then when I see “Israel has 10+ year land and air embargo of Gaza” I think “wow if I were in Gaza that would really piss me off.”

I weigh all the information I see from both sides and my conclusion is that Israel has all the power in this debate, they are not interested in Palestinian concerns because they don’t need to be, there are thousands of years of religious dogma infecting the issue, and at the end of the day one group suffers and another prospers. This happens in many places around the world, but for some reason as an American I’m supposed to champion Israel when I think so many of their problems are of their own making and that they are at least as guilty of any wrongs as those who call themselves Palestinian.

That is how many (I suspect most) people in the world feel about the issue. Then the side with all the power comes out totally unnecessarily to say only Jewish people have a right to self-determination there? That same year they declare the basic demand for peace terms of East Jerusalem to be dismissed, to hell with the weaker party? They celebrate aid cuts to Palestine? And the illegal settlements, the over the top military responses, Netanyahu warning that Arabs are voting so Jews need to drown those votes out, etc. How do you think any of that will change my mind? Am I anti-semitic for not liking that, despite pretty fiercely defending and voting for Jewish people here in the U.S.?

I don’t know about the warsaw ghetto and never made that comparison. I’m just a typical person and when I see “Israel attacks Gaza after rockets fired” I think “oh yeah that’s a good idea they need to defend themselves.” Then when I see “Israel has 10+ year land and air embargo of Gaza” I think “wow if I were in Gaza that would really piss me off.”

I weigh all the information I see from both sides and my conclusion is that Israel has all the power in this debate, they are not interested in Palestinian concerns because they don’t need to be, there are thousands of years of religious dogma infecting the issue, and at the end of the day one group suffers and another prospers. This happens in many places around the world, but for some reason as an American I’m supposed to champion Israel when I think so many of their problems are of their own making and that they are at least as guilty of any wrongs as those who call themselves Palestinian.

That is how many (I suspect most) people in the world feel about the issue. Then the side with all the power comes out totally unnecessarily to say only Jewish people have a right to self-determination there? That same year they declare the basic demand for peace terms of East Jerusalem to be dismissed, to hell with the weaker party? They celebrate aid cuts to Palestine? And the illegal settlements, the over the top military responses, Netanyahu warning that Arabs are voting so Jews need to drown those votes out, etc. How do you think any of that will change my mind? Am I anti-semitic for not liking that, despite pretty fiercely defending and voting for Jewish people here in the U.S.?

The point I am trying to make, in the context of this thread, is that solutions to the problem can not be found when we use hate speech rather than discussing actual policies. It not only useless in finding solutions -- it damages the process.

Agree or disagree?

No one should be given a PASS on using hate speech.

(And, btw, I disagree that Israel has all the power. The March of Return is proof enough of that.)

I’m just a typical person and when I see “Israel attacks Gaza after rockets fired” I think “oh yeah that’s a good idea they need to defend themselves.” Then when I see “Israel has 10+ year land and air embargo of Gaza” I think “wow if I were in Gaza that would really piss me off.”

Its interesting you think it is permissible for Israel to defend herself using military strategy and yet are "pissed off" when they use non-military tactics like an embargo. Those are both defense mechanisms. Against the problem. Which is that the government of Gaza keeps attacking Israel.

Israel's goal with Gaza is, and has always been, to defend herself against attacks from Gaza. The solution to the problem isn't complicated. Just. Stop. Attacking. Your. Neighbor.

The point I am trying to make, in the context of this thread, is that solutions to the problem can not be found when we use hate speech rather than discussing actual policies. It not only useless in finding solutions -- it damages the process.

Agree or disagree?

No one should be given a PASS on using hate speech.

(And, btw, I disagree that Israel has all the power. The March of Return is proof enough of that.)
I’d say agree except if the palestinians that are angry enough at Israel to use hate speech were made to stop using hate speech, I doubt it would change a single thing. I think the most likely thing that would do is convince Israel that the Palestinian movement was drying up and inspire them to accelerate settlement building and other counterproductive activities that disregard any peace process.

I’m just a typical person and when I see “Israel attacks Gaza after rockets fired” I think “oh yeah that’s a good idea they need to defend themselves.” Then when I see “Israel has 10+ year land and air embargo of Gaza” I think “wow if I were in Gaza that would really piss me off.”

Its interesting you think it is permissible for Israel to defend herself using military strategy and yet are "pissed off" when they use non-military tactics like an embargo. Those are both defense mechanisms. Against the problem. Which is that the government of Gaza keeps attacking Israel.

Israel's goal with Gaza is, and has always been, to defend herself against attacks from Gaza. The solution to the problem isn't complicated. Just. Stop. Attacking. Your. Neighbor.
The cycle was going on long before the current government in Gaza was in power. You cannot tell an oppressed people to just suck it up and accept it. That’s how you get decades of violence like has happened there and will continue to happen there.

I’d say agree except if the palestinians that are angry enough at Israel to use hate speech were made to stop using hate speech, I doubt it would change a single thing. I think the most likely thing that would do is convince Israel that the Palestinian movement was drying up and inspire them to accelerate settlement building and other counterproductive activities that disregard any peace process.

You are justifying hate speech again. Worse, you are justifying hate speech as a solution to a problem rather than as part of the problem. Its akin to saying, "I can't stop beating my wife. If I stopped beating my wife, she would just take over the house." Instead of working out a reasonable, shared, mutually satisfying plan for a good relationship.

The cycle was going on long before the current government in Gaza was in power. You cannot tell an oppressed people to just suck it up and accept it. That’s how you get decades of violence like has happened there and will continue to happen there.

I am NOT telling them to suck it up and accept it. In fact, the opposite. I am telling them they (and only they) have full agency over their choices. I am telling them that the solution to the problem is to: Stop. Attacking. Your. Neighbor. Its in their hands. They are perfectly capable of being the agents for change and peace. They are, in fact, the only ones capable of doing this.

You are justifying hate speech again. Worse, you are justifying hate speech as a solution to a problem rather than as part of the problem. Its akin to saying, "I can't stop beating my wife. If I stopped beating my wife, she would just take over the house." Instead of working out a reasonable, shared, mutually satisfying plan for a good relationship.
I can’t believe you’re stuck on hate speech. If the beaten wife called her husband an asshole, does that mean it’s her fault for the beatings? Also, the husband has given her zero reason to believe he wants a reasonable, shared, mutually satisfying plan for a good relationship and seems plenty happy with the way things are other than the looks his neighbors give him for beating his wife.

I am NOT telling them to suck it up and accept it. In fact, the opposite. I am telling them they (and only they) have full agency over their choices. I am telling them that the solution to the problem is to: Stop. Attacking. Your. Neighbor. Its in their hands. They are perfectly capable of being the agents for change and peace. They are, in fact, the only ones capable of doing this.
The Israeli equivalent of Palestinian mentality right there. I guess the cycle will continue.

The Israeli equivalent of Palestinian mentality right there. I guess the cycle will continue.

There is no 'cycle'. Gaza attacks. Israel responds. No attacks = no response. No attacks = peace. No attacks eventually = end of embargo, mutual co-operation, a viable economy for Gaza.

Are you arguing that Gaza is incapable of having agency over their own actions? Are they compelled by some unknown force to attack Israel repeatedly?

There is no 'cycle'. Gaza attacks. Israel responds. No attacks = no response. No attacks = peace. No attacks eventually = end of embargo, mutual co-operation, a viable economy for Gaza.

Are you arguing that Gaza is incapable of having agency over their own actions? Are they compelled by some unknown force to attack Israel repeatedly?
Why does Gaza attack?

Why does Gaza attack?

Are you going to justify terrorism and war crimes now?

Gaza attacks because they CHOOSE to use violence as a means to pressure Israel into responding in order to demonize Israel and solicit (unwarranted) international sympathy for their "plight" (which they are the agents of). Gaza attacks Israel in order to turn themselves into "victims" of the "evil Jews" and thus justify their own terrorism and violence. Gaza attacks Israel because they hold the fundamental ideology that Jewish people have no rights and no claim to Jewish historical and indigenous homeland and that once conquered, Islamic land remains Islamic land in perpetuity. Gaza attacks Israel because the GOAL is not to enter into peaceful relations with another neighboring people but to deny that neighboring people any right to exist as a national entity, and eventually, as a separate and distinct people. And even further along, in the most extremist religious terms, to survive and exist at all.

If the GOAL was to achieve peace, a strong economy and good international relations the answer is to stop attacking your neighbors.

RE: BDS activity against Israel will be defined as anti-Semitism
※→ BlackFlag, et al,

Well, I would like to slide in here.

⇒ I’m just a typical person and when I see “Israel attacks Gaza after rockets fired” I think “oh yeah that’s a good idea they need to defend themselves.” Then when I see “Israel has 10+ year land and air embargo of Gaza” I think “wow if I were in Gaza that would really piss me off.”
(COMMENT)

The rocket fire and attacks began to intensify after the Israelis unilaterally withdrew from Gaza. In fact, the Israelis had a fighting withdraw. The attacks are initiated by the Arab Palestinians. And you can almost make-out a pattern (almost a wave function).

59583e9448fc7bfc43561577aff6d5c4.png

Perpetrators Hamas Islamic Resistance Movement.png
As you can see from the Global Terrorism Database (GTD), looking at just HAMAS, you can see that the exchange of attacks started almost as soon as the ink dried on the PLO Declaration of Independence.

And the Arab Palestinians did not open hostilities then, the conflict started with the solemn oath the Palestinians made in February 1948 (even before the existence of Israel).
I weigh all the information I see from both sides and my conclusion is that Israel has all the power in this debate, they are not interested in Palestinian concerns because they don’t need to be, there are thousands of years of religious dogma infecting the issue, and at the end of the day one group suffers and another prospers. This happens in many places around the world, but for some reason as an American, I’m supposed to champion Israel when I think so many of their problems are of their own making and that they are at least as guilty of any wrongs as those who call themselves Palestinian.

The Arabs of Palestine made a solemn declaration before the United Nations, before God and history,
that they will never submit or yield to any power going to Palestine to enforce partition.
The only way to establish partition is first to wipe them out — man, woman, and child.
That is how many (I suspect most) people in the world feel about the issue. Then the side with all the power comes out totally unnecessary to say only Jewish people have a right to self-determination there? That same year they declare the basic demand for peace terms of East Jerusalem to be dismissed, to hell with the weaker party? They celebrate aid cuts to Palestine? And the illegal settlements, the over the top military responses, Netanyahu warning that Arabs are voting so Jews need to drown those votes out, etc. How do you think any of that will change my mind? Am I anti-semitic for not liking that, despite pretty fiercely defending and voting for Jewish people here in the U.S.?
(COMMENT)

You are not necessarlily"anti-Semitic." To say that you support the Arab Palestinians in there cause of "ψ" is one thing. To say that you support the actions of the various factions (Jihadist, Fedayeen Activist, Hostile Insurgents, Radicalized Islamic Followers, and Asymmetric Fighters) of Arab Palestinian is another thing; something entirely different.

To say that you support Hostile Arab Palestinians is to say that you approve of the activities such as the Coastal Highway; in which 38 Israeli civilians, including 13 children, were killed, and 71 were wounded.
It is to say that you approve of the activities such as the execution of the niece of then U.S. Senator Abraham Ribicoff (D-Connecticut). Or:

• The PFLP launched an attack on the terminal of Israel's major airline, El Al, at the Istanbul airport. Four civilians, including Harold Rosenthal of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, were killed and 20 injured.
• Robert Stethem, a U.S. Navy diver, was murdered when Hizballah members hijacked a TWA flight in route to Rome from Athens

• Yitzhak Weinstock, 19, whose family came from Los Angeles, CA, was killed in a drive-by shooting. Hamas took responsibility for the attack.​

Your opinion is "your" opinion and you have the right to express it. But let's make it clear what it is you approve of and consider what you think is the proper action for the Hostile Arab Palestinian.

I had to laugh this past month on the talk of Ahed Tamimi. She slapped and Israeli Border Police Officer (not once, not twice, but several times) and got arrested. There are 22 member nations to the Arab League. What do you think would happen in those countries if you hit a police officer?

Just my thought,

Most Respectfully,
R

This is not the issue, no one said it was,
it becomes hate speech when one denies the Jewish people right to self determination, and uses double standards to attack Israeli policies otherwise not used against other countries.

But at the least it has to start with the basic acknowledgment of the boldest antisemitic rhetoric and imagery used in the BDS ranks. Is it going to be denial?
Everybody has a right to self determination. Well, except for non-Jewish people in Israel now.

Same is Arab-Palestine, both of them, but You have no problem with that.
This is called double standard, not used against any other nation but Israel, exactly what was expressed in the article, hence the Education Dept. move.
Oppression by religion is condemned across the 1st world except for 1 country.

Are You out of Your mind?
Just another case of total denial.
Sounds to me like you are.

You're trying to evade the subject, when the question is beyond simple.
Should antisemitism be condemned by BDS?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back