Eating before a workout?

Sep 2, 2020
Texas
Years ago a trainer at the gym told me to always eat before a workout, because otherwise your body get's it's fuel from muscles and you can lose muscle. A friend told me about something called mini fasting and the article I read says not to eat before or after working out because your body will burn fat first. Does anyone know which is correct? Don't really care about the mini fasting, just the burning of muscle or fat. Thanks,

I always went with carbs before for fuel and protein after to build muscle. Don't know if this is the way it's supposed to be done, but it worked for me.

I would think it would have to do with your goals for your workout. If your goals are to increase performance (run a mile quicker) or build muscle, I would think you should be well fueled during our workout.

Years ago a trainer at the gym told me to always eat before a workout, because otherwise your body get's it's fuel from muscles and you can lose muscle. A friend told me about something called mini fasting and the article I read says not to eat before or after working out because your body will burn fat first. Does anyone know which is correct? Don't really care about the mini fasting, just the burning of muscle or fat. Thanks,
They're both full of shit.

I really don't think it matters...no ones metabolism is that fast....eat first if you are hungry...if not eat after.....

I wouldn't eat before a workout. The body will use stored energy (fat) for fuel if you are in a fasting condition (12 hours without carbs). The muscles of the human body are very stingy when giving up the glucose stores they have and will burn that glucose usually in a fight or flight moment. However, if you want to reduce body fat and build muscle, you want to burn those glucose stores and then replenish them after a workout. Preferably with a good supplement of protein to repair the tears to the twitch fibers.

That trainer is wrong. Your body won't go to the muscle to get calories unless you have been starving for at least a couple of days.
Hmm...the information I've read is that you need to be in a fasting situation. That is 12 to 16 hours without carbs. A fast is different for each person, but yeah. I agree. The muscles are stingy in giving up stored glucose.

Last edited:
I have a meal replacement bar. Then a workout, probably just an hour, then have a meal after that.

No carbs after 8 is a good rule, if you can stick to it.

Most of what you read is bullshit.

As your workouts become routine, your body will tell you when it needs fuel. The brain doesn't distinguish between thirst and hunger. The sensation is the same. When you know you're fully hydrated and you are hungry then eat. Fast carbs for workouts is just junk and you don't burn the stored fat.

Avoid all fast carbs, eat slow metabolizing carbs like whole wheat bread.

If you are serious about fitness you need to get more calories from fat than carbs. Several reasons why but if you're not serious about fitness obviously both too much fat and carbs will just be stored and you'll gain weight.

Keep this in mind. You get twice as many calories from fat. Fat metabolizes much slower keeping energy levels constant. No carbo crashes.

Carbohydrates provide 4 calories per gram, protein provides 4 calories per gram, and fat provides 9 calories per gram.

So eating before or after exercise is just kinda someone's idea.

This is how we trained wrestlers to eat. Constant energy, not carbo crashes.

Your body isn't stupid. It's not going to prioritize eating muscle if you have weight to lose. That seems kind of counter-intuitive if survival is the game. The most important thing prior to a workout is to be adequately hydrated. After the workout you should eat something good for you that's high in protein so your muscles can repair themselves and grow.

Last edited:
I have always heard that protein loading AFTER a workout is best for building muscle. I often have a protein shake an hour or so before my heavy workouts, but I have not even a hint that that does any good.

Isn't it amazing that with all of the millions and millions of people who are interested in the nutritional aspects of physical training, we are still at the point of following suggestions of people who are merely guessing (but sounding authoritative)?

Could it be that genes rule, and we are all just kidding ourselves about re-molding our bodies to look good?

I have always heard that protein loading AFTER a workout is best for building muscle.

It's true. Your muscles damage and repair themselves to grow. After the workout when your muscles are tired and need to repair themselves is when it's most useful to have a bunch of spare protein.

It doesn't matter.

I know people who fast 18 hours a day and they work out on an empty stomach all the time.

The fact is that you burn relatively few calories during a workout

If you’re only doing cardio then fasting before you workout helps you burn more. If you’re lifting weights you should eat light at least 45 minutes before your workout. Definitely eat after you lift.

Forum List

Back